“Beautiful facility, lousy customer service!!!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Loudon, Tennessee
“Beautiful facility, lousy customer service!!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This beachfront hotel must be one of Embassy Suites' finest physical facilities. Unfortunately, the level of guest services we experienced were completely unsatisfactory. We arrived at the posted check-in time of 3:00 PM, hoping to walk the beautiful beach before dinner. Although the hotel was far from full, our room was not ready. After several conversations with hotel staff including the manager, we were told at 3:15 that our room was just being finished and we would be issued a key as soon as it was released. After another 30 minutes of being ignored as we sat in the lobby in full view of the reception staff and manager, I again approached the manager, to express my total dissatisfaction with the way we were being treated. This time I got his attention, and we were issued a key in a few minutes, getting in to our room after nearly an an hour's wait. Unfortunately, our problems hadn't ended. Upon trying to access the internet, I spent the next hour unsuccessfully talking and meeting with three different people before finally giving up. So much for our walk on the beach. We did go down for Happy (???) Hour which I would characterize as adequate at best and enjoyed a very nice breakfast the next morning. All-in-all, however, our stay was a bust! Too bad, the hotel has so much potential! Were it not for the poor service we received, I would have rated this hotel 4 out of 5. But then service is what it should be about.

2 Thank Tellitubby
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I apologize for the level of service you received during your recent stay with us. This is not the level of service we strive to provide to our guests and I reviewed with our management team. I extend my personal apologies for the challenges. We are located in a lovely seaside setting, and I am sorry you didn’t get to experience all we have to offer. I can assure you this experience is not the norm. We are in the middle of making many improvements to the property including the Manager’s Reception and Internet service for our guests. Thank you for taking the time and for sharing.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

No beds in reserved rooms. No hot water. Old hotel and it shows everywhere.Construction noise and debris.
This hotel does not live up to Embassy Suites reputation for quality and value.
Staff says "sorry" a lot because of the condition of the entire hotel.
Couch and chairs were old, hard, lumpy and uncomfortable. No hot water in shower.
No wireless service in this day and age!
Had to pay $15/day for self parking..a complete rip off.
At over $200/nite, it should have been a dream stay but it was a nightmare!

Room Tip: Don't take a room in any building under construction.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
I am sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We recently completed a renovation and I apologize for the disruption. The final touch was the installation of the beds to our new suites, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. I apologize that your suite did not have hot water and I am sharing your comments with our management staff to fix any problems. We do charge a minimum parking fee but we also provide many complimentary amenities including the full cooked-to-order breakfast and Evening Reception. We will be making many other improvements to the resort this year including Wireless Internet service. Again, I extend my apologies to you on behalf of myself and our entire team.

Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it and can be a good deal if you get a decent room rate. It is right on the beach, next to a large park with a playground, and breakfast is served every morning so if you have small children with you, it is pretty convenient to keep them entertained and maintained. We stayed at this hotel after going whale watching on a boat that left from the Channel Islands Marina, which is less than a 5 min drive to the hotel. The newly renovated rooms are nicely appointed and thoughtfully laid out to support beach activities with a tile entry and extra shower in the front of the room. The pool is fairly large and there are two, good sized hot tubs nearby. The standard Embassy Suites manager reception is well staffed by some hard working bartenders who keep the drinks moving. Same goes for breakfast where the chef does a great job pumping out omelets like an egg ninja. If you are in Oxnard and can get a good rate, this hotel is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have beautiful views and nice breezes, but you will pay more for them. If you go cheap, i...
1 Thank EC K
Thank you for sharing your comments and I am so glad you enjoy our renovated suites and the guest amenities we offer. Please do visit us again!

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

First of all this was perhaps the sixth or seventh stay at this hotel and we have always come away happy. The location, beach front is excellent and the self parking garage is situated below the hotel in such a way that a short elevator trip will put you close to any room in the hotel. The service is always friendly and helpful. On this trip, Mathew a front desk manager was particularly accomodating in getting us an excellent room. The only downside was that the hotel restaurant and lounge are being remodeled but that should be complete by April 1st. Overall it is a great stay for a beach get away.

Room Tip: Any room in building 3 or second story buliding 7 rooms offer a spectacular view of beach and the ch...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Douglas M
We are so happy that you enjoy our property and have returned many times! We are proud of our wonderful staff and I am happy to hear that they were so accommodating to you. We are in the final stages of our renovation at this time, but we are looking forward to the positive changes coming soon that will enhance our guest stays. We look forward to your return!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very poor service, mediocre property, feels very dated. Not many food options on the grounds. Careful, oceanfront view rooms after just have a view of a sand dune. Self parking is 15/night, which is ridiculous. Won't stay again.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs with view.
1 Thank AustinEEE
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take your comments very seriously as we want each guest to have a positive experience. We are in the midst of making many renovations to the resort and we will be opening up a new restaurant in the spring. We do charge a standard parking fee, but we also provide many free amenities including the full cooked-to-order breakfast and evening Manager’s Reception. I hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future and experience the many positive changes coming our way.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Wonderful views from ocean rooms, lovely beach for a walk, great complimentary beverage reception. Could improve upon valet services quality of TVs in the rooms. Free wi-fi in rooms would be nice, too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your ocean front suite and the amenities we offer to our guests. Thank you for your feedback. We will be revamping our Internet service and I will also share your comments with our management team. We would welcome having you visit us again in the future!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I tried to send the Hotel a message, but couldn't find a way to do it, so here goes: Our room was great, even reception great, breakfast both days was the most disorganized buffet, etc., that I've EVER seen! We've stayed at approx. 8 different Embassy Suites in CA and have NEVER seen such a fiasco. I ate my oatmeal with a fork--until someone found tiny plastic spoons. Ran out of bowls next to the cereals, people were looking thru the cupboards. Made to order, well, only want to do this if you don't mind standing in a very long line, which we didn't. Ran out of plates, out came paper plates, kept running out of silverware, creamer....on and on. My suggestion would be to have at least 1 person watch the various areas to make sure that utensils, etc., are not totally out. Re made to order: maybe another cook? 2nd day was just as bad, or worse than the 1st. Need to make some changes here!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your guest suite and evening reception but I am so sorry you did not have a good experience with our complimentary breakfast. This is unacceptable and I am sharing your comments with our management team. We are planning a number of improvements in guest services this year and we take your comments very seriously. Thank you for providing this information to us, and I hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Ventura Beach Marriott
Ventura Beach Marriott
#5 of 23 in Ventura
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!