“Underwhelming”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very poor service, mediocre property, feels very dated. Not many food options on the grounds. Careful, oceanfront view rooms after just have a view of a sand dune. Self parking is 15/night, which is ridiculous. Won't stay again.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs with view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AustinEEE
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take your comments very seriously as we want each guest to have a positive experience. We are in the midst of making many renovations to the resort and we will be opening up a new restaurant in the spring. We do charge a standard parking fee, but we also provide many free amenities including the full cooked-to-order breakfast and evening Manager’s Reception. I hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future and experience the many positive changes coming our way.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,251)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Wonderful views from ocean rooms, lovely beach for a walk, great complimentary beverage reception. Could improve upon valet services quality of TVs in the rooms. Free wi-fi in rooms would be nice, too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your ocean front suite and the amenities we offer to our guests. Thank you for your feedback. We will be revamping our Internet service and I will also share your comments with our management team. We would welcome having you visit us again in the future!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I tried to send the Hotel a message, but couldn't find a way to do it, so here goes: Our room was great, even reception great, breakfast both days was the most disorganized buffet, etc., that I've EVER seen! We've stayed at approx. 8 different Embassy Suites in CA and have NEVER seen such a fiasco. I ate my oatmeal with a fork--until someone found tiny plastic spoons. Ran out of bowls next to the cereals, people were looking thru the cupboards. Made to order, well, only want to do this if you don't mind standing in a very long line, which we didn't. Ran out of plates, out came paper plates, kept running out of silverware, creamer....on and on. My suggestion would be to have at least 1 person watch the various areas to make sure that utensils, etc., are not totally out. Re made to order: maybe another cook? 2nd day was just as bad, or worse than the 1st. Need to make some changes here!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your guest suite and evening reception but I am so sorry you did not have a good experience with our complimentary breakfast. This is unacceptable and I am sharing your comments with our management team. We are planning a number of improvements in guest services this year and we take your comments very seriously. Thank you for providing this information to us, and I hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I enjoyed my stay, the food, the staff, the jacuzzi, the ocean and pool views, and almost everything else. They need to fix their ant issues, but that's easily solvable.

Great spot to relax and barely a few miles off the 101, I never knew this place existed. Can see 3 of the channel islands from here!

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms also tend to have an ocean view, in the 400 building on the 2nd or 3rd floor has b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chad W
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I am so glad you discovered us and that you enjoyed your stay! I will alert our management team to the ant issue so we can quickly resolve it. We hope you will visit us again!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I was there two nights, but checked in really early, so was there practically three days. The clerk went out of her way to find me the kind of room I requested for an early checkin. I was in a room that was considered "beach facing," which meant that I could see the sand dunes, but not the water. I think there are other rooms that actually look out at the water, but I was happy, because I could run on the beach every day. My room had four sinks altogether. The living room area was bigger than most Embassy Suites and very modern. I had a little patio, so could stand outside (unlike the old Embassy Suites that only look into the middle of the hotel). I went to the breakfast both days and ordered an egg white omelet and fresh fruit. The omelet guy was very friendly and helpful. I never attended the evening happy hour, didn't use the pool, and didn't use the fitness center. When I requested a late checkout (normal is 11 a.m., which is pretty early), the clerk kindly allowed me two extra hours. I think a car is necessary; I can't think of anything close enough for walking (other than the beach, which was lovely, of course). Parking was underground and although the property is very spread out, so is the parking, so you can park close to the elevator/stairs nearest your room.

Room Tip: Choose the upgrade-for-$5 option. This gave me a beach-facing room with patio.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LeakyB85

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites, amenities and location. And, I am so pleased to hear that you experienced excellent service. We are quite proud of our team here. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This Embassy Hotel was the hub of a family get together in Oxnard. Only there for one night, and just for the lodging, as a restaurant in town was used for the party. Our room was very nice and clean. The other family members commented that their rooms were comfortable enough to have housed a few more of the young adults, instead of them having their own rooms. I understand the hotel allowed our family members that were not guests to partake in the evenings happy hour, although I did not personally make the arrangement. Breakfast was nice, and the location is beach front. It's not a huge facility, but there were other family groups staying there, and I don't think anyone was in anyone else's way. We could hear the kids playing in the pool, but it seemed to stop at a relatively decent hour, did not interfer with our sleep. So check with the front desk if this would bother you. At this writing there was not a restaurant on the property, under renovation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and the services we offer to our guests. We will soon have a new restaurant opening in the spring in addition to other improvements on property. Please do visit us again!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Kids running upstairs! Just know that you have to be on the top floor or you will be disturbed. Towels worn and thin, in room coffee is the worst. Would never come on vacation, had to be here for work. Rom was hot and can't open windows for safety. This is my first review, but felt like I had to warn other travelers.

Room Tip: Top floor is the only way to have a decent room and valet park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank B R

I am sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we take your feedback about the noisy neighboring guests very seriously. I have shared your review with our security team to ensure that this is not an issue in the future and to make sure that we are offering options in this type of situation such as providing an alternative room. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the quality issues in your rooms and will address your comments with the appropriate teams. We are striving to make many improvements to our property and I do hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel our way.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
7 mi away
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!