“Beautiful Beach, Older Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Huntsville, Alabama
“Beautiful Beach, Older Hotel”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have stayed here many times for business. The location is stunning. Feet from the beach/ocean, Oxnard Beach next door (complete with what we titled Pirate Park, a park aimed for 2-6 year olds), the pool is always clean (the pool guy should get a raise - he is thorough every morning and is respectful to me & my toddler kids as we run beside him to get breakfast), A tasty made to order omelet breakfast (The chefs cook tirelessly morning after morning with a smile on their faces) and there is a grocery store about a mile and a half down the road. It's a couple miles from McGraff State Park as well. Give yourself 30 minutes and you can be at another beach, Camerillo Outlet Mall or Santa Barbara.

Feel free to rent a bike and peddle the beach walkway, go 1/2 mile to the harbor or kick off your shoes and walk the beach. Rent a peddle boat - the scenery is breathless!

The hotel - It claims to be remodeled this month.
*This means it got a new slap of paint (be careful of the interior doors - they were painted on hinge and were closed while wet - paint chips will come off when you open/close the door).
*The beds are not Hilton Quality (springs tend to find you in the most uncomfortable places) I have grown to love. We ended up buying a thin foam from Target to throw under the sheets for our extended stay last time.
*The sofa bed is what you would expect. Long Term Sitting is not the plan for this furniture. If you have more than 1 person in a suite, you will be sharing the solo coffee table at one end. Not a big deal short term but long term (or with kids), it becomes a hassle (I did not want to spill drinks on the carpet!).
*Each room comes with a microwave, fridge and sink. No complaints there. Just don't leave food out (We bought fresh fruit from local fruit stands - A must!). A couple of our rooms had ants that showed up on day 2.
*Cleaning Staff - like most of our hotel experiences, if you are staying long term, you have to tip to get the room cleaned from head to toe. Otherwise, the floors were usually left. Of course there are a couple of staff that cleaned thoroughly without incentive, but otherwise, they were in and out very quickly. If you want your bed sheets changed, you must put the card on the bed regardless. Otherwise, the 3 day -save-the-planet-sheets-stay-on-the bed-rule, doesn't apply. Afternoon/Evening Staff - They are awesome. Our room was missed in the cleaning process a few times. As soon as I put a call in to at least change towels or linens, take the garbage, they were on it in minutes. ALWAYS super friendly and thorough. There is a gentleman who cleans the hallways and gym at night and he does detailed work. You could eat off what he cleans!
*The Gym is basic. weights, 2 benches, elliptical, treadmills, stretching chair, stationary bike, and weight balls (no high weights). If you are into Crossfit, heavy body building or just like more variety - there is a 24 Hour Fitness about 2 miles away. $10 a day gets you in. if you are military, there is a gym on base about a mile away.
*The Restaurant- The pork chop, pasta dishes, appetizers were all wonderful. I ordered the mocha creme brulee and was disappointed that the top was burned. However, that was the only disappointment from the restaurant.
*Nightly Managers Reception - Depends on the bartender depends on how great the drinks are.- however, a free drink is a free drink. The weekend brings a crowded night but they will push to get everyone as fast as they can. The staff is always super friendly and will do what they can to make the drink you want.
*Security - The gate to the beach was always locked and noted that when others would leave it open, staff would immediately close it. Weekends provided a gentleman who walked around and played a great hospitality role as well as security. He is friendly and great at redirecting teens and adults. Much appreciated if you stay pool side.

We love the location. The weather seems to be perfect each time we visit. When it's too cold (for us) to jump in the pool, the hot tub/spa is always a wonderful treat. The beach is always clean. The ocean and sand are healing no matter the temperature. The view and location makes up for an older hotel. I'd recommend it for short term stay on the beach.

Room Tip: Depends what you are looking for. My favorite is the outside edge rooms. You get a grassy front with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelingSarahC
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Your feedback is important to us, and I appreciate your comments. I am sharing your remarks with our management staff as they are constantly working to improve the property. I am so pleased to hear that you found our staff to be accommodating and that you enjoyed our beautiful location. We do hope you will return again.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Korean first
Culver City, California
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We just loved our quickie getaway at the Embassy Suites in Oxnard. The resort has undergone a nice facelift since my last visit in 2008, and the rooms now sport a modern vibe. If you can, get a room facing the ocean. The light is much better, and the views of the Pacific and the adjacent bike and walking paths make an inviting visual treat. The lounge chairs outside our room were divine, and allowed us to be slugs for the bulk of the afternoon.

Just loved the full breakfast the following morning.

I think it's a great idea to travel when the swarms of vacationers aren't around. We were there mid-week after the summer crush, and I'm glad that the place wasn't too crowded.

Mandalay is an affordable getaway if you're looking for a beachy vibe. Each suite can easily accommodate 4-6 people, making it a great venue for family outings.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean. It's worth the additional expense. The views are wonderful.
2 Thank grathy
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us recently. It was our pleasure to serve you!

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stumbled upon this resort over the summer while visiting the Channel Islands Harbor and had to come back to stay. The pool and waterfall was so relaxing. Lunch on the patio was very nice but the service could have been better. The room was ready a little early for us as we had asked and was clean and well maintained. We were very happy with the room in general, however, the bed was so soft and sunken in we both woke up with back pain in the night and my husband had to sleep on the pull out sofa bed. The patio was great to have a drink on and people watch. The band was fun on Saturday night but if you don't want to hear them all nght I would suggest an ocean front room instead of the pool view. The nightly managers reception is good in theroy but the "light snacks" consisted of a popcorn machine and some very bad nachos with some cheese sauce that you might find in an arcade room. Kind of chintzy for such a nice resort. We chose to have dinner off site but it was nice to come back for dessert and live music. Breakfast was plentifull the next morning. Will go back for weekend getaways but will ask about a firmer bed next time. Also would be good for friends to go together. Beach is beautiful, hot tub was great and the room size and cleanliness is above average.

2 Thank AlohaAndrews
Thank you for sharing your comments. We appreciate your feedback and I’m glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. We will review your suggestions with our management team and I do hope you will return again.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently had to work in Ventura (I live in LA) for a couple of days and was looking for a reasonably priced place to stay. Most of what's up there is on the 101 freeway or on the train tracks (or both... like the Crowne Plaza). I stopped by the Four Points by Sheraton and the Holiday Inn Express on the Ventura Marina... the Four Points has less than stellar views and the HI Express is a dump (at $145 a night). As I've been burned by Hotwire and Priceline in this area before, I checked out official hotel websites (usually my last resort).
I never thought I could get the Embassy Suites... a sprawling Spanish-style resort hotel... for just $160... but I did. (Mid-week, off-season, but still).
The ES is probably 20-25 years old (I remember coming by in the '90s) but the grounds are lushly landscaped and expansive and the 2 room (2 bathroom) suites were just redone... beautifully. Very stylish and elegant.
We got an upgrade when we were checked in by a really nice, efficient female front desk clerk from England to a full ocean view. WOW. What a view. The best I've ever had at a beach resort anywhere in the world. Stunning. We had a private deck with a high table and bar stools so you could see over the stucco walls to the broad, sandy beach and the Pacific. Wish I could have stayed here all afternoon but I had to get back to work. (Only complaint... the sliding glass door is original equipment and tended to get stuck when opened too quickly).
There was no resort fee but we did have to pay $15 per night for the secured underground parking. I was too busy to take advantage of the free buffet breakfast by the pool or the free nightly happy hour... but I heard from other guests that both were good.
I had a relaxing mini-vacation at the beach for the price of staying on the Ventura Freeway. I know this place must be a zoo in summer and on warm weekends. But, at this price at this time of year, I could not have gotten a better deal on a more beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Get upgraded (you can pay for one after you make your reservation on the website for $5 to $20) to a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew W
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful property! We are quite proud of the many amenities we offer to our guests, and our spacious, newly-renovated suites. And, I’m glad that you found our staff to be so accommodating. We do hope you will think of us again when you travel this way. We would be very happy to serve you again in the future!

Orange, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

When we vacation with the family we always try to stay a couple nights at Embassy suites. This was definitely the best location Embassy Suites that we have been to as far being right off the beach. If you’re looking for a quiet beach location this seems to be it. Since it is located away from the highway and in the middle of gated communities, there’s not a lot of action going on. The facilities were clean and the support people friendly and responsive. I think that they have the larges rooms for Embassy Suites that were been to. The breakfast and happy hour was typical for Embassy Suites. Get there early for breakfast or come in later before they close up, as you may have to wait in line 30+ minutes for your omelet to be cooked during prime time if the hotel is full.
My only complaint was being charged for parking. Haven't they learned from the airlines baggage fee fiasco to include parking in the room rate. If you have a problem with non hotel guests parking in the lot, post restrictions at the gate and charge the non guests a separate fee.

Room Tip: You can't beat the view of the beach, or the partial view of the beach from the pool side rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AveJoey
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our lovely seaside resort! We are quite proud of the many amenities we offer to our guests. We do charge a standard parking fee, but your suggestions will be reviewed by our management team. Please do visit us again!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was in Venture County on business and stayed at this little bit of Paradise. The property is right on the beach, with incredible views of the Channel Islands. Breakfast, which featured cooked-to-order omelets, was included in our rate. Every evening, the manager hosts happy hour, with drinks and light snacks all included in the price of the room. My only suggestion is to drive to town for meals - service in the restaurant is a little uneven and there are some excellent restaurants in town.

Room Tip: Great if you can get an ocean view room. If you can't, there are plenty of opportunities to see...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MJchemist
Thank you for writing about your experience at our resort. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our property & location, and our guest amenities! We hope you will stay with us again when travelling this way.

Johnston, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Wonderful place - clean, spacious room, ocean view, top quality breakfast, evening cocktails, beautiful grounds, convenient parking, friendly staff - all my expectations were met and exceded. I will definitely return on my next trip to the area.

1 Thank DrAl48
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It’s so wonderful to hear that you had such a great visit. And, we would definitely welcome your return!

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Ventura Beach Marriott
Ventura Beach Marriott
#5 of 23 in Ventura
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!