“Beautiful getaway”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My family & I loved this hotel. It was far nicer than I imagined. The lobby is really impressive, and the grounds are much bigger than I had thought. The suites are very roomy. We had the most standard room but even that was nice. There are 2 marble bathrooms and a very roomy dining and living area. The private beach was even nicer - it was clean and everybody there (including other guests) were very friendly. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the toiletries. They do come from Crabtree & Evelyn, which is high-quality stuff, but the current scent is avocado, basil, and olive, so you walk around smelling like you just had the salad & sandwich at TOGO's. The breakfast room is huge, so other guests don't get in your way. The garden and pool area is beautiful. I'm not crazy about California, but I do want to stay here whenever we're in town. I do agree with past comments about the walls - they're not exactly soundproof. Sitting on my bed watching TV, I actually heard a neighbor sneeze softly. And around 11 pm, I heard some really loud music coming from somewhere, but I was pretty far from it, so it didn't bother me. The staff was really nice and friendly. I recommend this place for a romantic getaway or for a comfortable mini-vacation with the kids.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank CML342
Write a ReviewReviews (2,253)

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel grounds were very nice, brunch was nice as well. However, our room seemed to have not been updated in some time. The couches were stained and the bathroom sink leaked all night into my cosmetic bag ruining everything in it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dashingthruthesnow
Reviewed November 4, 2011

This is nice getaway hotel for the weekend if you want to take a walk by the beach early in the morning or watch the sunset at dusk. On one of our walks we caught sight of a family of dolphins frolicking in the surf. The hotel has beach front rooms which we have stayed at and also lovely rooms with veranda balcony where you can sip a drink and chat while the sun sets. There are 2 hot tubs and hidden one covered by ferns in the back and also one by the pool. Their restaurant serves a Sunday Brunch buffet or you can drive to Camarillo and try one of their restaurants before hitting the outlets.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Have stayed at Embassy Suites elsewhere and this fell short of the standard I had expected.
Some staff not very friendly. WiFi not available in the room and a charge for plug in Broadband. $15 to self park downstairs for customers is always a no-no. Tried to charge on the double for parking. Will not stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure the sun will shine when choosing a room with sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Knockroe
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Wow, the place has changed over the years. It's still a decent deal considering you're on the beach but it's getting a bit ragged. The are starting renovations this winter which couldn't have come sooner. I will be disappointed if the rates go up.

Room Tip: Most are good. Those without views are a little depressing.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2011

The good news is that you can walk right out onto a wide sandy beach (although watch out for the tar on your feet). The bad news is everything else: tacky smelly rooms, ripped curtains, depressing grounds, low ater pressure, load music on Saturday night from the lounge/bar, an extra $9/night to park yourself, unhelpful desk clerks. The full breakfast that comes with the room also comes for with a hour wait for the omelette bar (and how do they make a freshly made omelette taste old?) accompanied by coffee with curdled milk. Really depressing. We had reserved for two nights and left after one. Felt like I needed a shower after I left.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 32655Laura
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Place is good but could have been better.
We paid a higher price to get ocean view and our own private balcony. Could hear the people above us all night. They must have had kids, floor was just thin. Have not experienced this at an Embassy before. OK breakfast but have had much better from Embassy properties. Grounds are beautiful and that makes up for alot, A/c did not work well so we were cool but room was moist all the time. Never dried out. Over all average to slightly below average stay.

Room Tip: Oceanview room have private balconies or patios
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
7 mi away
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!