“Hotel in desperate need of refurbishing, but the location/view is fantastic”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed in a oceanfront room ($300 per night). Prior to arrival I had already read these reviews, so I had called the hotel to ask that they assure me we will not have any of the problems so many people have posted. Upon arrival we were given a room that was 'double inspected' (words from the manager) in order to guarantee a room free of any problems. However, we never even stepped foot into that room because it was not an oceanfront room. Yes, it was on the first level facing the ocean, but the dunes were so high you couldn't even see the water. I requested a different room, and they put us in building 6 which is probably one of the nicest rooms as far as a view goes. Unfortunately, the room had a terrible leak. The floor was puddled in water, leaking into the hallway of the building. It had been leaking long enough that there was a huge puddle of water in the hallway. We were quickly moved to building 3, which has an equally nice view. The only issues with this room was the phones didn't work, there was an exposed outlet (no cover), dirty curtains, no screens, air didn't work very good. If I had to rate the rooms in this hotel, they would get a 2, definitely in need of repairs and remodeling. Everyone we talked to that was also staying at the hotel had problems. A family a couple rooms down had to be moved becasue their room had bugs! Another family said their building smelled like sewer (which by the way we did smell in some buildings and most definitely in the parking garage) Housekeeping isn't so great. Aside from the rooms, the grounds were kept up very nice, the free breakfast and happy hour with free drinks and snacks was awesome. And you could not ask for a better location, my grandkids had a beautiful grass area to play in right out front our room, and then steps away was the sand and beach. All in all, we enjoyed our stay, letting the room problems not get to us :) and enjoying the view/location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,253)

Reviewed July 8, 2011

We have been traveling with Hilton Honors hotels this trip and while we've been to some great Embassy Suites and Doubletree Suite Hotels, this is one that desperately needs updating.
CONS: Rooms are extremely outdated in decor and function. DSL cable, phones that don't work, moldfilled bathrooms (mirrors have lightbulbs that go around the perimeter dressing room style; bring flipflops to wear), noisy air conditioners, and smelly carpets and linens. Smell of mold, smoke, pets... everything comes out in these old carpets and drapes especially if you turn off the air. The rooms in building 2 are particularly outdated/have deferred maintenance and and we switched rooms to building 9. We were not the only ones at the hotel who wanted to switch rooms and one person behind the desk said that it's a common issue.
PROS: Nice lobby, secure parking (fee $15 whether you self park or valet), large heated pool area with lounge chairs, direct access to a beach full of little hills and paved beach path, and easy stop to make on the way up north. Easy stay for kids with free breakfast, great pool area (fun rock shower near the SURF ROOM), and there is suppose to be other entertainment for a fee like kites, bikes, and you can rent tennis equipment. You can get wireless internet access in the lobby and in their business center, otherwise it's slow dsl service for a fee in your room.
OTHER INFO: It is approx. 6 miles from the 101 freeway in a suburban/farming community. There is nothing within walking distance of the hotel so you must drive. North is Ventura, south is Oxnard. They had live entertainment last night and there were children/adults on the dance floor. Second bathroom is very convenient. Easy stay with kids. Research restaurants before you go or get on the internet. They hand out a list of restaurants nearby which is not so much a recommendation as a general list of what's out there. If you are a "foodie" this is probably not a great destination. We were recommended by the manager to go to a restaurant 5 miles away (it was actually 11 miles and took almost 30 minutes to get to) and it was one of the worst restaurant experiences we've ever had.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I originally discounted a friend's recommendation to stay at (1) an Embassy Suite for a family vacation and (2) not exactly most exciting town. But, it was a wonderful location right on the water, nice little gym with free weights, mats, benches and small but nice variety of cardio. Downside, though our room were very large with 2 baths, it was in need of refurbishing,
On-site restaurant food not very good (with refrigerator and consistently good restaurant recommendations by staff not really necessary). Free full breakfast with omelot bar very good but get there early. Free happy hour also good .

We asked for a waterfront room and were disappointed. The wind blows hard in the afternoon, and we could only see over the railing while sitting on bar stools. Better option is partial waterfront, overlooking park area and ocean, and clear view from a chaise to the water.

Room Tip: ask for partial waterfront with view of green area
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank princessvpea
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone! This place was probably really nice in the 60's & 70's. I can only speak for the standard room I was in but if the rest of the hotel is in the same state of dilapidation as my room, I can't imagine anyone giving this place even a DECENT rating. When I spend $300 for a room I expect alot and this place FAILS to deliver. I was not even able to stay in my room and relax with the drapes open because the painting crew was working on on our patio for about 4 hours. A/C barely kept the room cool. Embassy Suites has always been like an "old faithful" until now, this was a real let down. Oh yeah not to mention they dropped the ball on my reservation. Never got my confirmation email, so when I called back and didn't have my confirmation number they said they didn't have a res under my name so I had to make a whole new one and then when I checked in they told me I had two rooms reserved and wanted to know if I still needed the second room. HELLO?! Room lighting was really bad and the internet was weak. I will say the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The manager and staff were very friendly and eager to help with any request. Our building appeared to be freshly painted and our room was clean. Having two full bathrooms in the suite was very convenient, especially traveling with two teenagers. The hot breakfast was wonderful and had something to offer for every taste.
The grounds are beautiful and kids will enjoy the numerous rock formations and waterfalls. This is the perfect place to stay if you plan to spend your time between the resort pool and beach. You can walk directly onto the beach from the property.
The beach is the only thing within walking distance, but restaurants and shops are a short drive away.

Room Tip: Bar can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stay at this resort at least twice a year and it's always beyond amazing. The staff is incredible and everyone from the valet to the front desk to the maids always seem to really care about the guests. The rooms need a little update, but they are in the process of redoing them right now. The color boards are out in the lobby and the new furniture and room decor looks great!
I love that every room has a living room and our favorite rooms are ground level in building 7 so that we can play lawn games out on the grass during the day and sit out and have a night cap in the evenings. We've used every possible service that the hotel has to offer and they have all been terrific. The gym is small but well equipped (love the cardio theater machines!), the spa is ok (but they are building a better one we hear), great bike rentals, and the food is fantastic! We love the free breakfast and usually eat lunch by the pool from either the bar menu or from the BBQ stand if it's out. The bar is well stocked and makes a great selection of tropical drinks plus your standards.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank CariBelle
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I'm so glad I booked the hotel before reading the reviews! Only afterwards did I glance thru the comments and was actually a bit frightened of the place. There was no need to be worried.

Our room was spotless. The grounds are fantasstic. The view is awesome! The staff more than helpful. Yes, the decor is a bit dated. Yes, there were some spots that needed paint. But none of that impacted the experience. Without hesitation, I recommend this Embassy Suites and would actually say it is a good value for a suites hotel, especially with the ocean right outside your door.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor ocean view - worth every penny!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Genie533
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
7 mi away
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!