“Good Value on the dunes of Oxnard”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I originally discounted a friend's recommendation to stay at (1) an Embassy Suite for a family vacation and (2) not exactly most exciting town. But, it was a wonderful location right on the water, nice little gym with free weights, mats, benches and small but nice variety of cardio. Downside, though our room were very large with 2 baths, it was in need of refurbishing,
On-site restaurant food not very good (with refrigerator and consistently good restaurant recommendations by staff not really necessary). Free full breakfast with omelot bar very good but get there early. Free happy hour also good .

We asked for a waterfront room and were disappointed. The wind blows hard in the afternoon, and we could only see over the railing while sitting on bar stools. Better option is partial waterfront, overlooking park area and ocean, and clear view from a chaise to the water.

Room Tip: ask for partial waterfront with view of green area
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank princessvpea

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone! This place was probably really nice in the 60's & 70's. I can only speak for the standard room I was in but if the rest of the hotel is in the same state of dilapidation as my room, I can't imagine anyone giving this place even a DECENT rating. When I spend $300 for a room I expect alot and this place FAILS to deliver. I was not even able to stay in my room and relax with the drapes open because the painting crew was working on on our patio for about 4 hours. A/C barely kept the room cool. Embassy Suites has always been like an "old faithful" until now, this was a real let down. Oh yeah not to mention they dropped the ball on my reservation. Never got my confirmation email, so when I called back and didn't have my confirmation number they said they didn't have a res under my name so I had to make a whole new one and then when I checked in they told me I had two rooms reserved and wanted to know if I still needed the second room. HELLO?! Room lighting was really bad and the internet was weak. I will say the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The manager and staff were very friendly and eager to help with any request. Our building appeared to be freshly painted and our room was clean. Having two full bathrooms in the suite was very convenient, especially traveling with two teenagers. The hot breakfast was wonderful and had something to offer for every taste.
The grounds are beautiful and kids will enjoy the numerous rock formations and waterfalls. This is the perfect place to stay if you plan to spend your time between the resort pool and beach. You can walk directly onto the beach from the property.
The beach is the only thing within walking distance, but restaurants and shops are a short drive away.

Room Tip: Bar can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stay at this resort at least twice a year and it's always beyond amazing. The staff is incredible and everyone from the valet to the front desk to the maids always seem to really care about the guests. The rooms need a little update, but they are in the process of redoing them right now. The color boards are out in the lobby and the new furniture and room decor looks great!
I love that every room has a living room and our favorite rooms are ground level in building 7 so that we can play lawn games out on the grass during the day and sit out and have a night cap in the evenings. We've used every possible service that the hotel has to offer and they have all been terrific. The gym is small but well equipped (love the cardio theater machines!), the spa is ok (but they are building a better one we hear), great bike rentals, and the food is fantastic! We love the free breakfast and usually eat lunch by the pool from either the bar menu or from the BBQ stand if it's out. The bar is well stocked and makes a great selection of tropical drinks plus your standards.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank CariBelle
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I'm so glad I booked the hotel before reading the reviews! Only afterwards did I glance thru the comments and was actually a bit frightened of the place. There was no need to be worried.

Our room was spotless. The grounds are fantasstic. The view is awesome! The staff more than helpful. Yes, the decor is a bit dated. Yes, there were some spots that needed paint. But none of that impacted the experience. Without hesitation, I recommend this Embassy Suites and would actually say it is a good value for a suites hotel, especially with the ocean right outside your door.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor ocean view - worth every penny!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Genie533
Reviewed May 15, 2011

The grounds are beautiful, there are ponds and waterfalls throughout the property and the pool is gorgeous. The beach is nice and quite and a short walk from your room. Breakfast is a little chaotic and since the rooms surround the pool it can be really noisy at night.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank twinkiebabe89
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Rooms are clean and extremely spacious, appears that most rooms have two bathrooms and TV's, sperate living and sleeping area, along with a large table and 4 chairs. Staff was very friendly. Hotel has direct access to the beach. Parking at $15 for self or $18 is excessive. Hallways in buildings are dingy and in need of updating. Pool area is very nice as well. Omletes in the morning and 2 hour happy hour each night as complementary was a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Ventura Beach Marriott
Ventura Beach Marriott
#5 of 23 in Ventura
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!