“Home-like conveniences”

Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was our "home-base" while visiting the Channel Islands. This property is quite large and off the main commercial areas. I like this type of accommodation because it has a complete mini kitchen - just in case you want to do some minor cooking, reheating. The kitchen area was spotless as was the very large bathroom which was handicapped accessible. Our room had a sofa bed, not particularly comfortable, but met our needs. The other furniture seemed dated, but quite functional. The free breakfast was a HUGE plus for me as it had many food items to choose from, including items to carry as snacks later on. The pools were small and not particularly inviting. We were fortunate to have one of the hot tubs right outside our room. If you enjoy hot tubs, I'd suggest asking for a room close to one. We stayed for 2 nights and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Since there are a couple of pools and hot tubs, I'd ask to be close to them if you are intereste...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Visiting the Channel Islands...this was our home base for 2 nights. We interacted with several hotel staff and they were all polite and helpful. The Inn mostly met my 3 requirements for a good hotel: 1) the shower was nice (though slightly low showerhead for 5'11" guy); 2) decent bed (just slightly too soft for me); and 3) nice neighborhood. The room was very clean, and we liked that it had a little kitchen and eating area (good if you're staying several days). M-Th they have a little cocktail hour (beer and wine) with a nice assortment of appetizers (you can practically make it a dinner) and their included breakfast is really quite nice (many options). Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here during a visit to the outlets..very convenient.
Pros: Free Breakfast-the breakfast was very fresh with many options. Don't forget to grab a fruit cup(cups available) for a snack while shopping.
Housekeeping very prompt at any request.
Rooms were updated and nice size.
Cons: I can't remember the name of the receptionist who I spoke to several times about my reservation, but she was extrememly rude( I will post when I find my notes).
The pool was ok, not great. The pools towels are small and rought, but they do the job.
Overall, our stay was a plesant one. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank suzanna082199
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in August. The room was clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable. The hotel is off the main commercial area and adjacent to a golf course. It was nice and quiet but not within walking distance of any restaurants or stores.

The rooms were a little dated and there were some maintenance issues outside; nothing so severe that it really detracted from our stay. The wi-fi worked fine and was free. The lobby was very nice. Check in and check out were quick and easy. The free breakfast was much better than the typical free hotel breakfast.

Overall, it met our needs but nothing really stood out as exceptional. I will consider staying here again but I will also take a look at others in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were very impressed with the fireplace, granite counters and stainless steel appliances. The hotel looks like a cute little apartment complex. Paid around $120/night and thought it was one if the nicer rooms we have stayed in for the price.

There are only two recommendations I would make:
1) get nicer towels. Ours were a smidgen on the old side.
2) work with staff on flexible service. Yes, I understand that your check out time is 12:00, but if I call and tell you that I had a flat tire and am stranded and can't make it back by 12, don't be short and snippy and say "you'll get charged an extra night." Maybe ask if I'm ok or pretend you care about me as a person?

Maybe I'm just too old fashioned to expect that people add that human touch?

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had the bedroom suite with the loft. This was perfect for a family of 4. The kids enjoyed staying up in the loft which had its own bathroom. Our room was right underneath and if our kids were older, we would probably hear their footsteps above us. The funny thing was that sometimes when they used the remote on their tv up above, it would reach the tv in the living space below. The kitchen worked for us when we made our dinner. Breakfast was fine too. The place looked a little older, but it was fine for us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had booked this on-line, and found when we got there an older-style Residence Inn with many two-story buildings arranged around a large parking area. After checking in, we went to our building and found trash outside, and beat-up outside stairs leading to the second level, and a beat-up walkway to our room. The room had been redone at some point, but the carpet was in poor condition.

Simply put, the deferred maintenance and condition of the room was not what we expected, so we went back to the office and checked out with no problem and no charge. Another woman was doing the same. The front desk people were competent and friendly, and handled the situation well.

The new high-rise Residence Inns have been quite satisfactory for us, but we have found the older properties to vary greatly in maintenance and quality. We will be even more careful in the future.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJandMR
RInn_River_Ridge, General Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate your feedback. After our summer season, we have plans to address the key areas that you wrote about. Our plans include the staircases, entrys, parking lot, carpeting and a complete exterior paint job. In 2009, our suite renovations included all new bathrooms, kitchens, HDTV's and furniture. This year already we have fully renovated our two pools/pool decks and 3 spas. Our tennis courts were completely resurfaced to include basketball and Volleyball as well. I apologize that your 1st impression was not to your liking, but do welcome you back to our hotel personally as we should have addressed most all your issues by spring of 2014. Ventura County has some the most moderate temperatures year round in North America. And the hotel's 11 acres set next to River Ridge Golf Course creates a 'California Resort' feeling with all the value and quality you would expect from Residence Inn.