“Happy Hampton”

Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We arrived early for our check in and were told by the lovely reception staff that our room would be ready in another ten minutes. Sure enough, ten minutes later, our room was ready. We had prebooked our room and paid extra for a harbour view. Our room was lush! Spacious, clean, comfortable and with a balcony to sit out on and watch the sunset, complete with a glass of wine. Heaven! The location of the hotel is ideal. Quiet, so that you get a good nights sleep and yet close enough to "Spinnaker" and "Victoria" for somewhere to eat/shop. There are plenty of leaflets in reception regarding tourist attractions and places to eat and the staff were on hand to provide us with directions so that we could return our hire car. And as for the breakfasts. We never, in any of the hotels that we stopped in, saw quite a selection like it! Wonderful. We also used the pool. It was like having our own pool! Heated as well! Our only moan would be that the swipe cards, that are designed to provide excellent security, didn't always let us in, which was a nuisance! Other than that, we wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little extra for a harbour view if you can. Treat yourself!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
PattyTewes, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Trumpster175:
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience while at our Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor and give some feedback to other travelers, we do appreciate your input. I apologize for the inconvenience with the keys but looks like you had a great stay overall. Will definitely love to have you back while in the area in the near future.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

My stay here was average, but I wanted to rate it a bit higher. The staff was friendly, our room was available for early check-in. I am a Hilton Honors member and had asked for a harbor view room. When I arrived they politely told me there weren't any available. I was disappointed. The room was nice. There is a regular coffee pot - which is a plus for me, but the beds were lacking in pillows (a negative). I had trouble with internet connectivity, but it was remedied pretty quickly. Overall, it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbor View room - hopefully the will have one!

Dear CMarvin Gallo:
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers... I'm sorry we were not able to upgrade you during your stay, we certainly do anytime we have availability, but Saturday's are pretty busy and the marina view rooms are very popular and usually go first. I hope you will visit us again in the near future, please feel free to contact me directly if I can further assist you.
Regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2013

As usual, the Hampton Inn fulfilled all of my needs. This was particiularly nice, as we overlooked the marina - quite a view. The rooms were as expected, clean, spacious and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was plentiful and good, although my mother complained that the eggs were cold. But she likes things boiling, so that has to be taken into consideration. It was a very good stay and would be recommended.

Dear Christine M.
Thank you for also sharing your experience while staying with us a couple of weeks ago, again... I'm glad you and your mother enjoyed your room with the marina view and certainly hope to see you back soon.
All the Best

Reviewed April 21, 2013

A wonderful mid sized hotel in a quite marina area. Staff is wonderful. Definitely a place to stay if you are within driving distance. Although it is located in Oxnard, it is in the quiet neighborhood of marinas. Close to beach. Short drive to Ventura and Ventura Harbor. If you want to visit Channel Islands,this will be a good starting place. I prefer this location to Ventura. Don't forget to visit the restaurants around there. The fish restaurant Fisherman's Catch is about 3 miles away, but worth a visit.

Dear acimex:
At the Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, we all want to thank you for your great review and notes about our property... it is a long way from Winnetka and we certainly appreciate you staying with us. Glad you enjoyed the Fisherman's Catch Restaurant during your visit. We all hope to see you back next time you visit the area.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in early April. We had an upper, harbourview room and everything was as expected. The requested fridge and microwave were both in our room. Room was clean, spacious and well appointed. I really enjoyed the balcony overlooking the marina. It was a lovely spot to enjoy morning coffee.

The hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. Check-in and check-out went smoothly. The breakfast staff were so warm, friendly and welcoming. We almost felt like we were friends visiting for breakfast. Food was very good, lots of options and selections changed each day. Very good coffee which often is not the case in other locations.

The only weakness,and it was a small one was that the internet was very slow on the complimentary computer. THis location did not have the well ppointed business centre that some Hampton locations have...however, I suspect that they don't cater to business travellers as much as pleasure travellers. The computer was sufficient for checking email and basic stuff.

Room Tip: Check out the little pizza place down the street. It was Friday night and the place was crazy busy...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
PattyTewes, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Faith R:
I want to thank you for taking the time and writing your review that will hopefully help other travelers make their choices when planning their getaways. I'm pleased to see how you enjoyed your stay and the details of your review. I apologize for the business center computer being slower, and as you said, it is for the basics like checking your e-mail or printing boarding passes, etc.
I hope to see you back at our property very soon, while in the Channel Islands area.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Get a harbor-view room; it's worth the small extra cost. The rooms are large, even with king-size bed. It's nice to have the shower in sepaarate closed door with wash basin/closet/dressing room in alcove separate from the bedroom. Good, simple wifi. Wide selection of hot and cold in free breakfast. Pleasant ambiance and friendly staff.

Dear Dick99000:
We do appreciate your review, concise, simple and to the point... we love it! You are not too far away and now that you know where we are we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent our 33 yr. anniversary at the hotel this weekend. The staff is very friendly, the room was clean, and the view of the marina was lovely. It was very quiet outside, even though we were on the first floor near the park and next to the walkway where people and dogs frequently pass by. The weather was cold so perhaps there were not many out this weekend. I would recommend the 2nd or 3rd floor for a better view.

The duvet and comforter were laughable - it had been washed (which is good) but the duvet was shaped like dozens of tennis balls were inside of it, it was totally lumpy and unappealing to look at. Under the duvet it felt fine but the look of it was totally off-putting. The maids were very jolly but also extremely loud - I was trying to nap and they were laughing and carrying on, banging walls and making more noise than a bunch of kids. The room key wouldn't work for my husband to go in and out of the sections of the hotel, and it happened to other people there as well. Also the floor of the bathtub creaked loudly whenever one took a step on it, probably needs reinforcing.

This being said, it was a nice hotel. They do call with a message the first night asking if all was okay. I would have preferred a written survey as I was hesitant to call and complain about the noisy maids - what if they were upset by my complaint and it was reflected in our room upkeep? I would stay there again but on an upper floor.

Room Tip: Book an upper floor on the marina side for more privacy and a better view.
1  Thank VeraKB

Dear Vera KB:
I want to thank you first for sharing your experience with other travelers, it seems you enjoy your stay overall. I want to apologize for the noise from the housekeeping ladies, it is great they are all happy but I can understand how it will disrupt the fact that sometimes even in the middle of the day, our guests might be napping or would like some quiet time. I will also discuss the duvet condition with the supervisor to avoid this situation in the future. While it might seem too early to know when you get the call from the front desk to see if everything is alright someone is at the desk 24 hrs and will be happy to take care of any concerns you might have. I hope to see you back soon while in the area, and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.
Regards,
Patty Tewes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Best Western Oxnard Inn

Been to Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor? Share your experiences!