“Great value.”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Los Angeles, California
“Great value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in a first floor ocean view room with a king size bed and a very good view of the marina. The unit was roomy, had a flat screen TV and a balcony. The people at the front desk were very helpful and they also provide a daily continental breakfast. Nearby parking spaces fill up fast but we always found available spaces.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel and consider it a great value for the location and the marina views.

Room Tip: Even though we stayed on the first floor, we still had a very good view of the marina. The rooms are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PattyTewes, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear len2011:
Just a quick note to thank you for posting your experience while at the Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor so that other travelers can read and benefit from it. We do appreciate your comments and hope to see you again while in the area in the future.
All the Best
Patty Tewes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Torrance, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

During the record breaking heat on the East Coast, our niece returned back to her native So. California. We took her to the Channel Island Harbor area to relax. We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the ocean and to the shopping Mecca of the Camarillo Factory Stores.

How pleasantly surprised we were of this property. The hotel is clean and well kept. Most importantly, if you get a harbor facing room, the views are great. The room size is normal, but with the added balcony space, there was enough room for the four of us.

The staff there is very friendly, and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. When we got to our room it did not have a microwave and refrigerator, I called to try to change rooms but decided to keep it because the room's view and location was very good. When I told Veronica I changed my mind, and that we would do without the appliances, 2 minutes later, a microwave and refrigerator were delivered by Jesus of housekeeping! What great cusomer service.

We will return to this property again.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sachee
Dear sachee:
We are so pleased that you had a great time with your niece and family while staying at the Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor and very grateful for your nice comments and recolection of events and even names! I will make sure I mention it to the Team and specifically to Veronica and Jesus. We sure appreciate you taking the time and hope to see you back again in the near future.
Best Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I wrote another recent review of another hotel where I said that I wish I could assign a 3.5, and once again, I wish I could give this place a 3.5. The hotel truly was average, but in this case, being average is totally acceptable. The carpeting was a bit old and outdated, many of the switches in the room appeared to do nothing, and there were no ice buckets in the room, making getting ice from the ice machine an adventure. These may all seem like nitpicky items, and perhaps if these were the only issues, I'd give this place a 4, but what really set it back in my eyes was that the walls were PAPER THIN. My girlfriend and I sat in our room and could hear our next-door neighbor's conversation almost perfectly. It wasn't even like she was talking particularly loudly, the walls were just that thin. This created a lack of a sense of privacy in the room and secured this hotel's 3 star rating.

All in all, yes, I had a purely average experience at this Hampton Inn, but in my eyes, being just average was acceptable. The room was reasonably priced, the Internet was quick and complimentary, we were able to park (also on the house) very near our room, and the breakfast selection was pretty good. For our needs, this hotel was very acceptable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear gournal3311:
Thank you for your time in writing this review, we do appreciate your notes and understand overall you had a good stay while at our property. There should have definitely be an ice bucket in the room for your convenience and if this was misplaced by someone prior to your arrival we should have replaced it right away, which will be discussed with the dept supervisor. While unfortunately there are some things that are out of our control and we apologize for that we hope to see you back at our hotel in the future while in the area.
Please, feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you in any way.
Respectfully,
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel is a good home base for travelers to the Channel Islands and the Ventura beaches. There is a nearby marina for travelers arriving by boat at the peninsula. We stayed overnight. It was a bit crowded for 4 people, though. Room was clean, in good repair, and equipped with fridge and microwave. Breakfast was included in our stay…the usual fare. The keyless card entry was a bit touchy. Staff was OK, but they put our room cards into an envelope with the room number written on it. I lost the envelope and they reissued keys, but the old ones were still active when I finally found them. This is a bit of a security issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water unless you like bright sun in the morning.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BurghDoc
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear BurghDoc:
Thank you for sharing your experience at our property with other travelers, we appreciate your input. I wil look into the key issue you mentioned since the moment we issue new keys they overwrite the old ones, sometimes guests forget them in their rooms and we make duplicates. Again, thank you for your response and we look forward to your next visit to our property in the near future.
Regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

I'm a reviewer who hates hotels and is very picky about noise, smells and cleanliness. So you may want to skip this review if you don't care about these things. This hotel wins 5 stars for cleanliness and smells. 3 stars for noise. The good news is the staff (5 stars!) was friendly and always asked what i needed. I reserved the room a few weeks ago and asked for a top floor and yes! They delivered a very nice room at the quiet end of the corridor. The balcony overlooking the marina was a nice bonus. The breakfast was your average hotel buffet but staff was very accommodating. The rooms need some updating but were very clean.ALL Linens were fresh every day. No complaints there.

But it has a few noise problems as others have mentioned:

1) the ice machines are incredibly loud and I'm glad I was far away.
2) doors close very loudly and make the building shake.
3) the maids, while friendly and very good, could take more care with less banging of doors, carts, etc.
4) it's an older property with older plumbing, poor shower pressure and noisy - you can always tell when a neighbor was showering.

So, overall, a very pleasant stay and I would recommend. I'm just very sensitive to noise and found I couldn't take a nap between 11:00 and 3:00 ish because of the maids' noise (we were moving house and i was extremely exhausted).

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ehbien
Dear ehbien:
I want to thank you not only for sharing your opinion and experience while at our property last week but also for being fair and saying it like it is. As you said, being picky and not liking hotels very much I see you mentioned the goods and not so goods :) . While there is somethings that we cannot control, others we can and we might think that everything is taken care of but notes like yours remind us of certain issues we can make sure our team continues to do like closing doors quietly in case someone is napping.
We definitely appreciate your note and would love to have you back in our hotel.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance on your future reservations.
Best Regards,
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in June with my 80+ year old mother and teenage son. We had two rooms; one on the first floor and one on the second floor, both with two queens.

We chose this hotel for the marina views and close proximity to Island Packers Channel Island tours.

Pros:
Pleasant marina view (rooms 122 and 222)
Quiet location
Clean
Very close to Oxnard Harbor and about a 5 minute drive to Ventura Harbor, 15 minute drive to downtown Ventura
Comfortable and fairly firm beds
White bed linens and duvet cover (smelled clean and a bit like chlorox)
Feather pillows
Free parking
Coffee maker in room
Good breakfast included

Cons:
Floor above us creaked
Shower has poor water pressure
Outdoor pool is small and uninviting
No room safe
No room refrigerator
Could hear the elevator beeping
Housekeeping was vacuuming at 8AM

Disappointment:
Front desk was unable to give us adjoining rooms or even rooms on the same floor even though we booked 2 months in advance

Room Tip: Book a second or third floor room...better view and feels safer.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pricklypoppy
Dear pricklypoppy:
I want to let you know how much we appreciate you taking the time to write your review in Tripadvisor, this notes help other travelers finalize arrangements when booking rooms based on their own needs. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and will make a note to discuss with the supervisor in housekeeping about the early start clean up and use of vacumms, we certainly understand that everyone has a different schedule.
Once again, thank you for your comments and looking forward to your next visit while in the Channel Islands Harbor area.
Regards,
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night at this hotel on our way up Highway 1. Excellent hotel all round, big rooms, friendly desk staff, excellent choice at breakfast in a well presented spacious breakfast area.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GuitarGeorge1
Dear Guitar George1:
Just a quick note to thank you for sharing your experience while at our property a couple of weeks ago, we appreciate you taking the time and hope to see you again in the near future.
Patty Tewes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
BEST WESTERN Oxnard Inn
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge

Been to Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor? Share your experiences!