“DDD visted place earns a C at best”
Review of The Kitchen

The Kitchen
Ranked #202 of 307 Restaurants in Oxnard
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I checked this place out because of the DDD visit and wasnt very happy. I was there at 6:30 on a Wed night and it was mostly a ghost town. Even with the lack of people in the place service was VERY slow. Once I got a beer it was good. I ordered the Cuban and the person I had dinner with had the Lamb burger. The cuban was tasty but the pork was dry and needed some kind of sauce. The person I was with said the Lamb was good but not exciting.

If I was visiting Oxnard I would probably look elsewhere. If you are a true DDD guy and just wanna check out where guy was it is probably worth a single trip at least for the beer.

They did have a fried zuccini, bean, jalapeno and other assorted stuff. Looked good but dont eat that stuff it messes up my girlish figure...

There are newer reviews for The Kitchen

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We chose to try The Kitchen because we like to try non-chain restaurants and it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. My husband had the turkey burger and I had the lamb burger. The lamb burger was fantastic, juicy, and flavorful. Our waiter was helpful, efficient, and friendly. The disappointment came from the dessert. My husband had the tiramisu which he found average. I chose two of the mini-cupcakes. I am sure the cupcakes would have been wonderful if they had been fresh. I think they are made from scratch in-house but they were stale, dried out, and the frosting was hard. Total bummer.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

As far as "Diners and Dives" go, this place is a tiny bit upscale. But if you are looking for good comfort food in a warm and casual environment with friendly people, you will not be disappointed. I had a very yummy burger and a wonderful beer. The entrance is down a walkway from the main street. And, a large movie theater and coffee shop are just around the corner.

1  Thank William805
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We happened to be in Oxnard/Ventura and heard about this place on Diers Drive Ins and Dives. The place was very disappointing. Other than a large function it was empty at 6pm on a Thursdy, I now know why. The beer I ordered was out so the server suggested another. It finally arrived 10 min. Later with my moms water. We ordered the onion rings for a starter which were good but nothing to write home about. I ordered "The Kitchen" burger. It was good when it finally arrived with the cold and extremely garlicy fries. My mom ordered the Cuban sandwich we she didn't eat most of as it had absolutely no taste. The manager offered us dessert due to the delays but we weren't really interested. It was so loud due to the band next door we couldn't hear. We decided to just leave. The service all night was slow and delivered by students who seem to have lacked training, e.g. When asked wat the burger of the day was I was told "I believe....."

Reviewed November 20, 2012

As several reviewers have noted, this place was featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and we too saw the episode and since we were in CA for awhile, thought we'd give it a shot.

I see that a number of reviewers had the Cuban food - we had a beer and looked at the orders which came by us to other tables before we ordered. That still didn't help.

We had the 'southern fried chicken drumettes' and were not impressed. Aside from the tiny size, they were not southern fried.

My husband had the lamb burger (since it was such a hit on the show) and he was just........well, he didn't finish it. I ordered the chicken tenders............and sent it all back. They were frozen and nuked. There was absolutely nothing we ordered that we enjoyed.

But, we did not order any of the cuban dishes and having had some really wonderful cuban food, have to say that might have been a better choice.

We ate there on a Friday night, before 9 pm, in the summer - and we were the 4th customers in the place. We wouldn't refer anyone there and I hate to say so as this is clearly a small local business in a part of the downtown area which needs good businesses.

Hopefully we just caught them on a bad night and other reviewers have better experiences.

Been to The Kitchen? Share your experiences!