“Great Wine, Fun People”

Cuisines: American
Oxnard, California
“Great Wine, Fun People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The HBWC is a fun place to spend a few hours. The staff (bartenders, waitresses, etc) are super friendly and polite and the owner seems to enjoy walking around and meeting the patrons. We have been there twice to drink from the terrific wine selection and sample the small plates. They also offer dinner entrees but we haven't tried any-they do look and smell good as they pass by our table. The live music on the weekends is a bonus.

If you are in the Oxnard area or coming off of the beach it is definitely worth stopping by.

• Visited July 2013

Oxnard, California
“LOVE this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Fabulous little wine bar overlooking the Channel Island Marina. They have a glass enclosed patio with fantastic views and the interior ambiance makes you feel like you're in a vineyard tasting room.

Outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and by the bottle (including some splits which you seldom find any more).

There is also a great menu of small bites and cheese/fruit plates that will be the perfect complement to whatever wine you choose.

Can't think of a better location for that "sundowner" break you are looking for......

Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointing....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I really wanted to love this place. I rent a beach house here for a month every year. When I discovered it this year, I was thrilled to have a wine bar that I could walk to. First the good things. Lovely people. Nice wine selection. Fun group of locals here most nights. The disappointing thing for me is the food. I've been here about four times now. I've found the food mostly well-conceived and well-executed, just seriously under seasoned. I don't use a lot of salt, but everything has been bland. Even anchovy fritters. How are anchovy fritters bland? Usually, it just misses. But last night I was there and ordered bbq ribs (appetizer portion) and a tomato mozarella salad. I was told the mozarella was fresh. While I was waiting (a pretty time) for the ribs, I noticed the "chef" was in the dining room talking to a couple of customers. He wasn't the chef I'd seen there during the week. He finally went back into the kitchen, and my ribs came out a few minutes later. Burned to a crisp. Really. I took one bite and it tasted like charred cardboard. They had smothered it with sauce, but there is no way someone in the kitchen didn't realize it was burnt. I sent it back and said I would just have the salad. The salad came and it had cubed, store bought mozarella. Not fresh. The rest of it was fine. Fresh heirloom tomatoes, nice greens, decent pesto. I ate it because, at this point, I was really hungry. I had very nice wines, though. I will probably go back and have just wine....or maybe the cheese plate. I had that one night and it was fine. Choices weren't all that interesting....brie, smoked gouda and a blue....but fine. I hope they manage to figure things out......

• Visited May 2013
Plainfield, Illinois
“Great new place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We've visited several times and have enjoyed each trip thoroughly! The food is very tasty, the menu is not very extensive but what they do, they do well. The wine selection is nice, the staff is very friendly and accommodating and happy to pour you tastes to find the right wine for you. The location is nice, I think it will be perfect when the weather warms up to enjoy dinner and a glass of wine right on the water!

• Visited February 2013
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Great new place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I arrived and asked for a wine tasting. Lisa poured a flight of four wines. We discussed them as after I had tasted them. Then we discussed a few other wines that they had. Finally I ordered dinner. A wonderful seared pepper encrusted Ahi Tuna was served with Portabella, smashed potatoes. Properly cooked Tuna was delicious. I returned two nights later and had some great tapas from the happy hour menu. They were very enjoyable. I will go back next time I have business out there.

Visited January 2013