“Very good sometimes, very average at other times.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Santa Paula, California
“Very good sometimes, very average at other times.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our first visit here, my wife and I had fish and chips which we both thought were excellent. On our next visit we shared halibut and chips. The breading was fine but the pieces were too thin resulting in the breading dominating the fish. The fries were excellent, and I thought the pineapple infested side of coleslaw was very good, but my wife did not care for it. The swordfish we took home was fresh and delicious.

On our third visit my wife had a mahi-mahi quesadilla to which she gave an overall grade of “B.” She said it was "… a nice light lunch, good salsa, but a little expensive for what I got." My mahi-mahi- sandwich for $13 with one side was very satisfying— lots of fresh mahi-mahi, tomatoes, lettuce and onion with a splash of tartar sauce. The onion rings tasted excellent, though greasy and floppy in a light batter. On our fourth visit I was once again disappointed with the fish and chips. The batter was good but the fish was thin and tough.

We returned yesterday and I think this may have been our last meal here. My wife had the First Mate Combo ($11) which consisted of shrimp, calamari and fish (cod?) which she did not care for. The food tasted okay to her at first, but she said that the more she ate the more it tasted like it had been fried in rancid oil. I had the fresh "local" halibut sandwich which was unremarkable and at $17 too expensive considering the meager amount of fish. The accompanying French fries and coleslaw, however, were very good as they have been with every visit.

We will continue to buy fresh fish here to take home, though, as we have never been disappointed with it.

• Visited November 2013

Martinez, California
“Don't be fooled by the Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

A lovely location on the Ventura Harbor, Fisherman's Catch is a terrific restaurant. It is not a high-class place. Your food is served on paper plates and with plastic utensils. Many of the items are fried and the service is one-step above fast food. Don't let that fool you. This fish is fantastic. Fresh, cooked perfectly, and affordable. I appreciate the lack of high-class here. They just serve top-notch fish and everything else is secondary. You can buy fresh fish to go or eat at the restaurant. I had the First Mate's friend platter. The Shrimp was amazing. Huge, fresh, tasty. The second time I went there I got the scallops. Yummy!

• Visited August 2013
Ripon, California
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Was looking forward to some wonderful fish and chips after reading the good reviews of this place. There was the option of the regular fish and chips (2 pieces) for $6.95 or Alaskan Cod fish and chips(2 pieces) for $10.95. My husband and I opted for the Alaskan Cod. What a disappointment. It was very thin and very dry and took a lot of water to wash down. The appearance and the texture was like that you would get in a store bought frozen meal to microwave. The coating on the fish was more like a breaded coating that you would bake rather than a battered coating. The french fries were fine.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AlmondBlossomCapital
Antelope Valley, CA
“Great seafood at an affordable price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were lucky to find this little gem! Literally! The address listed was wacky and sent us to a condo development a block away. But don't give up, it is worth searching it out. It is in the shopping complex on the corner of Victoria & Wooly, in Oxnard, next to the Coffee Bean. The food is fresh caught (or live in cages in the resturant :D). The clam chowder was good and the shrimp in the cocktail was large and juicy. I had the fresh sea bass grilled! The only down side was the cocktail sauce w/the shrimp could use a little work. Great wine list by the glass. The owners were there working and extremely friendly and interesting to talk with. We will be back! Warning: This resturant is ran by fishermen (who are fishing by 4 a.m.), so they close early, between 7:45-8:15 p.m. depending on the night.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank djteaches
“Good, fresh, local”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This place is just the right value & price for good, fresh catch and good service! Everything was fresh not frozen mad a great value!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jana C

Been to Fishermen's Catch? Share your experiences!