“My homey beach pad”

Channel Island Shores
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stay at Channel Island Shores for a whole week each year--been doing this for the past three years and I've already booked for this November. At first, I didn't want to stay in Oxnard...mostly strawberry fields, I figured as a native So. CA resident living two hours south. However, I came to see it as an ideally quiet beach escape. It's set in a very residential area (Sonny and Cher had a home here not far to the north back in the day). I go in the fall when hardly anyone's on the beach. I love the little dunes a short walking distance away; they have clumps of some kind of tall beach grass that give it the look of a beach on the East Coast. If I had kids, I'd really love the huge park right next to the dunes and the basketball courts on the sand just a stone's throw away from the unit. I always take my bike because there's a wonderful trail along the beach. Don't miss the farmer's market; when I was there the live entertainment was wonderful.
Last year I took the boat at the Oxnard marina to Anacapa Island, just some 11 miles away. Oh, and that's what gave me a WOW experience the first time I came: the beach is just a half block away and that long Anacapa Island (it's actually three in one) is so looming right off the coast. It looks close enough to paddle to--first time I experienced that in So. CA. If you squint or use binoculars you can see its lighthouse on the south side--the last governmental lighthouse built in CA. It has a foghorn too, but you need to be near or on the island to hear it call out every ten seconds. It's a nice day trip there. From the marina you can get boats to other Channel Islands as well, "California's Galapagos." If you go island hopping, read the kids' book "Island of the Blue Dolphin" if you haven't already--btw, the Karana character is buried at Mission Santa Barbara where there is a plaque dedicated to her and for a buck in the Mission gift shop you can get the non-fictionalize story of that Native American woman who lived alone some 18 years on San Nicholas Island --fascinating!
After I relax a day or two, I then like going to Ventura, Santa Barbara, and especially Ojai--none more than an hour away, as I recall, and tons of things to do there--do your homework first.
Channel Island Shores isn't for high rollers who like lots of service, designer appointed bedding and furniture, and planned activities. Everything is pretty simple...reminds me so very much of my college days hanging out with pals at a rented beach pad. (Except CIS is pretty quiet:) When I leave out the front door I'm in a simple, but flowery or hedged yard, not in a long carpeted hallway lined with doors.
I'm trying to think of negatives...there was a big windstorm one night when the dunes practically moved onto the street and outside the next morning there was a layer of sand on everything within a whole block because there is no wall between the bike trail and beach--but I thought it was kind of cool. Yes, I too wish the TVs were bigger. I had a backyard with one unit that I wish showed a little more style in gardening--there are very low maintenance, yet attractive plants they could add to give it a nice, loving touch.
Some people adore huge beehive resorts like the Hilton or Marriott humming with a swarm of busy service personnel, but I like little places like this one because it feels like home.

Room Tip: Depends what you like...most of the biggest units are farthest from the beach. Even the "view...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Salton_Sea_Lass
PIVacations, Manager at Channel Island Shores, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We here at Channel Island Shores are very proud of our little “Jewel” of a resort. I’m glad you were able to discover and make use of some of the fantastic wonders located on our Golden Coast. The next time you visit we will be more than happy to assist you finding even more “Wow” experiences.

Resort Manager
Chanel Island Shores

Reviewed March 18, 2012

If I have to complain, the only thing will be that it was VERY hard to find, especially in the dark. We were going around the place a couple times with no idea that we were there. However, the unit was great! The queen bed was comfortable, the living room was OK size with a pull-out sofa. The kitchen had everything with an ocean view from the window. There was a bay view window in the dining room with a lot of pillows. Nice to sit there and read. The hot tub was also awsome on the big size balcony.

Fifty feet away, there is the beach. It was great walking on the beach. Surprisingly, there weren't many people there, even though it was a long holiday weekend.

It was a much needed relaxing long weekend for us! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank floatingsoul
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Not sure how I came across this timeshare-vacation rental TripAdvisor lists as a hotel, but sure glad we did! We stayed here three nights and it cost less than the hotels we were considering. Ours was a one-bedroom unit without ocean view. Next time we'll check out an ocean view unit, hopefully.
PROS: There was a feeling of general care by the staff, from registration, to maintenance, to housekeeping. Very clean. Well-equipped newer kitchen, real hangers in closets (hate those ones you can't move), close to beach, comfortable bed and living room furniture, free laundry room (very clean), free internet. No pressure or even a mention of attending a timeshare sales session like we had to fight off at Diamond Resorts in Sedona.
CONS (more like suggestions): 1. Icky dated oak toilet seat on older style toilet (not elongated), but I've a feeling the bathroom is on the list for updates since the kitchen seemed recently updated. Please, even just that toilet seat? 2. Bedspread on bed -- never like those since it's impossible to tell if they're clean -- and they touch the pillow cases we sleep on, although this bedspread looked very clean. Perhaps duvets will be considered in next upgrades. 3. We didn't try the hot tub after reading negative reviews, but I usually shy away from those anyway. 4. Small TV's, especially the bedroom one (which we always love to use on vacation since we don't have that at home) -- I'm sure the screen was less than 25" and was about 10-12 feet away from the head of the bed. 5. Our bedroom was fairly noisy with the window open since it overlooked tons of hot tubs churning away, and the people in them.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This was a great place just feet from the beach. Our "condo" had a master bedroom and a loft with a queen bed. It was well equipped, quiet and relaxing. The private jacuzzi on the patio was a plus. We were there in December and weren't sure how the weather would be but it was perfect. As past Californians we were hesitant to spend a vacation in Oxnard, but it has definitely grown up and we would go back to Channel Islands Shores in a heartbeat. The inside is a little "tired" and in need of updating, but that's secondary to us. It was clean and everyone was very nice.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank grammajamma
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My wife and i spend a week with my kids and had such a good time that we are planing coming back. Tina was really nice. She was all smiles. we arrive early and our room was ready. Checking in was really easy. My kids enjoy the beach and the playground.Our hot tub was nice and clean.Enjoy walking on the beach with my wife.We really had a good time. Can't wait to come back next year.

Room Tip: Beach really close to our room.kids enjoy playing at the beach and playground
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Ana L
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I have developed a very nasty rash that has been confirmed as being 'hot tub rash'. After each time I got in the hot tub I took a shower immediately afterwards but I still contacted this rash, and it looks my six year old son has it also. This rash lasts for 7-10 itchy days and then I will have scars for several months.

We were not impressed by the maid service either. They took out the trash and gave us a pile of clean towels and that was it.

Room Tip: Do not use the hot tub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank RTR32511
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My parents travelled here with my kids for a week. They had a good time since my kids are 2 and 3 and had a blast playing in the sand and in the mini playground equipment and swings. The proximity to the beach is a huge plus, which is why I'm giving a rating of two. The issue is that each of the rooms have a hot tub on the deck or balcony. Great, right? Well, not if they're not clean and poorly maintained. My kids came home with rashes called Hot Tub Folliculitis, basically and bacterial infection of their hair follicles caused by the dirty hot tub (probably improper filtration system or not enough chlorine). I'll admit this could happen to anyone, but what really gets to me is that when I called the management to let them know, so that they could prevent this from happening to anyone else, the person who answered was very nonchalant, didn't ask any questions, just asked for the room number and said they'd tell the manager. No "sorry that this happened to you" or "thank you for letting us know." Extremely poor customer service in my opinion...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank BuddyMax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
6 mi away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
6 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge

Been to Channel Island Shores? Share your experiences!