“Frequent visitors”
Review of McGrath State Beach - CLOSED

McGrath State Beach
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We go to Ventura/Santa Barbara at least 1/2 dozen times a year, and ALWAYS stop at McGrath. We bike, picnic, hike, and sit near the dunes to watch the waves, birds, and people. Even when windy it is beautiful. I have been uncomfortably cold on a blustery day, but have NEVER seen it "brutally cold". The scenery and peacefulness outweighs temporary discomforts. Recommend that the state keep McGrath OPEN. I would even volunteer one weekend a month to man booth if that would help!

1  Thank Donald I

Reviewed May 7, 2014

As of April 11, Mcgrath has re-opened, partially and maybe temporarily. Weekends only until after Memorial day. They will look at the park again to determine weather to open 7 days a week or weekends only.
If you are into real style camping, Mcgrath is your park, It has become a bird sanctuary, a great surf fishing spot and peaceful....Open Fridays at 8:00 a.m. til Sundays at noon.

5  Thank Timothy S
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Our stay was ruined by generators running all day. We have a generator, but limit it to running an hour a day so that others can enjoy the sounds of nature. We have now stayed at a couple of places where there are posted set times of 2 hour blocks three times a day which help keep the noise down. There is a large sand berm you need to negotiate your way around to get to the beach. I was not impressed and will never go back.

1  Thank nancypants911
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Not sure there is the money to move the burm of sand that keeps closing this beach, but it has not been open consistently for the past year.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

McGrath is a nice camping site, but there was a closed sign on it as we drove by. I know it was closed back in June as well. I hear the marsh area has flooded out the campground. It is a nature area, so I guess that is to be expected. lol