“Cheap ok for one night”

Courtyard Oxnard Ventura
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this courtyard because it was the closest to my business meeting location. It is a Courtyard but rather different. It is old but there are some things that could be done immediately to improve the customer experience. Number one signage. I hated that there was no sign when you get off the elevator that tells where the work room or pool is. Having to walk around the lobby in my work out clothes is annoying. There was plenty of equipment in the work room. It was nice. The other thing I found different from standard Courtyards was the weird techno music playing in the lobby at 8a. The staff was very friendly and the food in the bistro was good. I may stay again when in the area.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Peter M, Manager at Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Elena C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. We are delighted that you stayed with us the Courtyard Oxnard Ventura .

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We have a planned renovation this year that will include signage for amenities. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stay at a lot of Marriott branded hotels. This hotel has got to be the worst. The staff is very friendly and helpful and tried to help me, but with the hotel in the condition that it is in it is very hard to meet the requests. This place is old and is in need of serious refurbishment. Holes in the carpet in the hallways, doors to the inside are unlocked, beds are old, the place is old. Sorry I don't like writing these types of reviews. In fact, I didn't even look at the tripadvisor reviews before staying here because I knew it was a Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
LynnAnneGreene, Manager at Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Explorer,

Thank you for your response and review in regards to your stay at our Hotel. we enjoy hearing from our guests on the quality of their time with us, the good and not so good alike. It allows us a chance to become better.
I apologize that we did not meet your needs during your stay with us. We do try to make it enjoyable, and our staff strives to make it memorable as well as informative, from local eateries to nighttime entertainment venues, and to the plentiful shopping adventures at the Collection.
We are in the first phase of reconstruction here, as we too are aware of the buildings need for freshening up. Currently we are removing the popcorn / textured ceilings that was in style so many years ago, and later this year, we are engaging in a complete hotel /guest room renovation from carpet to wallpaper, furnishings to fixtures including new paint to the exterior.
Its a large undertaking as I am sure you can imagine. Please come and visit us again to let us show you the butterfly that emerges from this cocoon.
Thank You for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel is clean and the staff are friendly. However... The food appears to be microwave and the staff don't appear to understand that starters come before mains, not the other way round, his excuse - the main was ready faster (I'm not sure that's really the point). Also we were woken very early by staff who were being loud in the corridor and constantly trying another door (06:45ish - not sure they realise that some people staying there aren't business people up early). That said we didn't have a bad stay just could have been a lot better, not up to the normal Marriott standard.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
LynnAnneGreene, Manager at Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Tourers_84,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have passed on your concerns about the food to our Food and Beverage Manager. I am so sorry that our employees were noisy in the hallways. Our General Manager has made all managers aware that this happened so that the situation can be corrected. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. We hope that this does not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

A lovely hotel. One of the reasons I stay loyal to the Marriott brand. Went to Ventura County for a 2 day stay to visit a friend. One of the best looking Courtyards. I would definitely stay here again and again and again. Hassle free check in and check out. Password free wifi.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms overlooking the pool...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Trixter45

Dear Trixter45,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are so glad that you love our hotel and will be visiting when you come back to the area. Can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Week Number two here. I tried to hold my tongue being that I started my career at Ritz-Carlton Hotels and Starwood Pre-Westin and Sheraton. Lets start with the bathrooms when you run the water in the sink there is a sewer odor that comes up I was on the 5th floor last week the 4th floor this week same situation. Opened bottle of lotion in Bathroom last week to notice it had clearly been used. Maybe that's what people in Oxnard called sanitary. I don't know but in the rest of the world that is very Unsanitary. The Shade to block out the sun in both rooms is literally held together with Tape of some sort to mask the holes. The front office staff is very friendly and as accomodating. That's the only bright spot. There is only one of those here. Housekeeping is extremely slow here rooms are not ready even at 3pm. Even staying last week my colleagues and myself all commented about how slow housekeeping is in this building. For the Icing on the cake Checked in today of course no rooms ready at 245 waited got rooms decided two hours later to run hot water. The water came out cold. Which tells me that this water has not worked probably all day. Instead of this hotel telling clients before checking in. They allow them to check in something a charlatain would do. I'm sure the GM will comment so before you do i don't really care what your excuse is because that's all it is is an excuse as i said MY perception is just that you guys are charlatains nothing else really is important and I don't want to hear a song and dance I'm not in the mood. Bottom line i will actually be calling Mr Marriott's office first thing in the morning to discuss this building. you can probably fold the mattresses in half they are just that soft. i don't like old mattresses these are clearly that. I have come tot he conclusion that this property is either not worthy of a Marriott flag of any sort or Marriott has lowered their standards and I need to start looking elsewhere to take my business. They claim the hotel will have hot water when they pick up the part tomorrow. Mind you no discount on rate no points offered. This place is tragic I'm EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTED!!!!! I believe in speaking abut good service and bad just alike so I'm not on a mission to post on every travel site i can this evening people should know where they are going

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank tgreen4142
LynnAnneGreene, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear tgreen4142,

First, thank you for your review of our property. I have passed all this information to our Director of Rooms so that we can improve service and the quality of our rooms. Our boiler heater did break down and unfortunately that meant that some of our guests were without hot water for a few hours. I am glad that we were able to get it up and running that evening. I hope that the compensation we offered will not deter you from the Marriott Brand as a whole.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Lovely hotel, very friendly and very helpful staff. Rooms were lovely and bathroom nice also.
Stayed for two nights and even had time for a dip in the hot tub.

The only confusing thing for us was the procedure to order breakfast in the morning. Its s tad confusing and very slow when people descend on the breakfast bar at once. Anyway the breakfast was very good as long as you were not in a rush. The wifi was also very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Smilero
Maureen B, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property. Every guest here at The Courtyard by Marriott, Oxnard, is a valued guest, and I'm pleased that our team conveyed this to you. As many of our guests our business travelers, we strive to give them a restful sleep, good food, and excellent service.
We very much look forward to your next visit
Sincerely
Maureen
Team Courtyard

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was the noisiest hotel we have stayed at in a while. Not just because the hotel was busy due to some youth sporting event but I guess the only way the housekeeping staff communicates with each other is to yell down the hallway! OK, things happen, and you can't always control what the other guests do (and kids will be kids!) but the housekeeping staff?

Room Tip: Check to make sure you aren't staying there at the same time as the youth tournaments are occurr...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe M
Maureen B, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Joe_Loves_Eva,

First off I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel. I am extremely sorry that our staff was noisy during your stay with us. Since you informed my manager of the problem, out check out, all of our staff have been spoken to about respecting our guests and maintaining a quiet noise level. We also have bought every employee an ear piece for their radios, so the noise levels do not bother guests as well.

I am very sorry if this caused you any inconvenience and we hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Thank you very much for staying with us and letting us know how we can better serve our guests.