“No Hum” 3 of 5 stars

Courtyard Oxnard Ventura
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Oxnard
“No Hum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Not up to Marriott standards! I always look forward to a great night's sleep at a Marriott. Not so here! Lovely facility and well maintained but the mattress was a leftover from the past. Also, the smell of cleaning liquid was overpowering until i ran the fan. on the positive side, the location and price were good with easy access to tourist spots and a nearby outlet mall.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Flowbleu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is not the standard of the larger Marriott's but the layouts and services are consistent with other Marriotts. They are the MacDonald's of the hotel business. Providing consistency you can rely on right through all levels.
This one was perfect for a one night stop with good beds and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walter J
Livermore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have family in Ventura and have stayed multiple times at the Courtyard near the beach, but decided to stay here to avoid the big parking fee you pay at the beach location. We stayed here in late November 2012 and again a month later the weekend before Christmas. We are Marriott Rewards members so we have stayed in a lot of Courtyards, and this one is definitely comparable. The person at the front desk during our first stay was extremely helpful and friendly. She gave us some complimentary water bottles to take back to our room when we tried to purchase some from the market. All of our special requests made at the time of our on line reservation were acknowledged and honored. The hotel was extremely quiet even though it seemed fairly full. We only heard people leaving their rooms in the late morning once we were already up and moving about. The coffee in the room was awful but I don't really expect much from in-room coffee at any hotel and they do serve Starbucks in their cafe. The cafe had some wonderful light options for breakfast. I had an egg white, spinach, havarti cheese breakfast sandwich with a side of fruit that was very good along with a Starbucks pumpkin latte. It's not complimentary but it was very convenient and I don't mind paying if the food is good. There is a mall very close by as well with food options. Although this hotel is in Oxnard, it seems to be off the very first exit from the freeway after you leave Ventura (or close to it) so it's definitely an affordable and convenient location if you are a tourist in Ventura and don't want to pay the beach hotel prices and parking fees. The reason I give this an average rating is because, while the bed in the first room in which we stayed in November was pretty comfortable (seemed hard when we sat on it so we were pleasantly surprised), the bed during our more recent stay was not nearly as comfortable. It seemed to sag a little bit in the center and I woke up with hip/back pain. I'm not sure if they are in the process of updating rooms/replacing beds, which might explain the inconsistency? I think we were on the 6th floor during the first stay. We were on the 4th floor most recently. I would stay here again for sure, but I'll inquire about the beds for next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for a night as a base from which to drive up to Santa Barbara. Check-in was efficient and friendly. Front-desk staff were superb, both during check-in and check-out. Renovated lobby area was modern and the breakfast at $9-10 was reasonably priced and of good quality. The rooms are what you expect of a Courtyard Marriott. They were clean and upgraded. Abundant parking. Well-located. Fitness room (which I used) was functional and sufficient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I needed to stay near Ventura/Oxnard for 1 night for a family function. The hotel was really easy to find, I could see it from the 101 as I was approaching from the south. Check in was smooth and they gave me a room on the 6th floor facing the pool. I had a balcony but nothing to sit on but I didn't ask if they had chairs. Check out was also smooth, they slipped the bill under my door and I handed my key to someone on the way out. Free wifi was a definite bonus. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was fine with Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner. There was a small refrigerator, a microwave and a coffee maker plus I think they had free coffee in the lobby and complimentary copies of USA Today. There is a pool, I didn't use it but it looked nice and had lounge chairs to sit in around it.

The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 stars is that I paid a bit more than I wanted to, $109 plus tax for 1 evening. But I have no complaints at all about the hotel, staff or location. The level of amenities was good, there was nothing else I would have needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Beaconsfield, Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had a one-night stay courtesy of Reward points, during our California road-trip. Very clean and spacious room, overlooking the pool area, where we caught a few sun-rays at the end of a long drive! The ladies at the front desk were superb - very welcoming, and full of good local knowledge. They suggested a dinner venue for us, and took us there and back in the hotel shuttle, which was really appreciated by us. And also pointed us in the direction of the local Walgreens, and posted mail for me. They definitely were top of our league-table over the course of two weeks!
The hotel lobby near the elevators was being painted, and it was a little messy, and the onsite breakfast was relatively expensive and not great choice. But in terms of convenience for us, it was ideal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just travelled down HWY101 from the north. Stayed here just one night before travelling to LA for flight home. One hour away from Universal Studios-today's stop!. Not on the beach but a wonderful overnight stay......extremely clean public areas, wonderful reception staff, spacious and again extremely clean room- micro, wave, fridge, coffee machine, TV, brilliant bathroom........in fact one of the best hotels we have stayed in during our 3 week Great West Self Drive. Well done Marriott!
Helpful hint - travelling from the north - at the end of the freeway you have to turn right but then across all lanes to turn immediate left (garage on this corner), there is a sign on the opposite wall that it is down here, the hotel is not visible but just keep following the road round hence 'hidden gem'!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the pool