“Most authentic Brazilian meal I have had outside of Brazil”

Moqueca Brazilian Cuisine
Ranked #2 of 302 Restaurants in Oxnard
Cuisines: Brazilian, Seafood, South American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Placentia, California
“Most authentic Brazilian meal I have had outside of Brazil”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

WOW! What a find in Oxnard. We were passing through last weekend and stopped for dinner at Moqueca based on reviews here and other sites, and we were not dissapointed.

We arrived around 6pm on a Saturday and did not need a reservation as the place was quite empty. Normally this would be a concern, but it was early and actually filled up by the time we left. A reservation may be a good idea if you want to arrive later or if you have a larger group.

To start...caipirinha (the nectar of the gods). It was good, not great. Next the salgadinho platter which was fantastic. Some have mentioned the coxinha is a little light on chicken (I agree), but it was fine for appetizers.

For dinner we could not decide on which moqueca to have, so we went with the house standard fish and shrimp. I thought it was excellent. My wife didn't like the fish, but she really enjoyed the shrimp (large and plentiful).

The desserts all looked good, but we were too full to try any of them.

Overall service and ambiance was excellent. The prices are a litle high, but we felt it was worth it for the quality and portion. We also had a certificate from a particular restaurant dot com site which helped offset the bill.

They also have feijoada on Sunday. Next time we are in the area we will definately be back.

• Visited November 2011

Los Osos, California
“wow! Great.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Went again to Moqueca this time with a daughter-in-law who edits a NY foodie magazine and my wife who is a spectacular cook and used to eating in Chicago, NYC and SF. As with our previous visits the food, service, and decor were all A # 1 and drew comments from us all. The food is served with several sauces, and condiments that can be applied to taste. These can be very spicy. One reviewer commented on the blandness of the food. I can only think that they must have skipped the sauces.The food can be spiced up to remarkable levels I am so happy that they are doing a good business. I want them to stay around.
Note: a good wine list. The various moquecas are alll wonderful as is the stroganoff.

Westlake Village, California
“I will go back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had 3 kids and 4 adults in our party, and we all enjoyed the meal, the service, and the setting. It was a Monday night, but the kitchen was on course! Service was unobtrusive and comforting. I had to ask for water once, but other than that, I was very pleased with the helpful and not-overbearing waiters. The calamari and shrimp appetizers were A+. We had several entrees and shared them family style. The fish Moqueca was fabulous as were the chicken breast (moist and flavorful), beef stroganoff, and the brie pasta was a great twist on the old favorite mac and cheese. Never did my mother make it this good! Side dishes were perfectly cooked broccoli and plantains--skip the plantains. All were happy--even the kids! A bit pricey, but we appreciate really good quality food and would rather have great quality than huge portions. The portions are large here, but not like other places. I can't wait to go back.

1 Thank playquartets
Santa Clarita, California
“Serious SIze Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

For visitors, Oxnard is a bit out of the way, but this a nice place for a family to share several entrees together. Service is nice and the staff is knowledgeable. Try the clay pot entree, good for 2-3 people. It's a little pricey and the off set is a great window view of the marina, very good service, very nice setting.

1 Thank Cold_Winter_Traveler
Harlingen, Texas
“Unique, but not worth the cost........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Let me first say that the service was outstanding. The scenery overlooking the harbor makes for a pleasant dining experience. However, this was our first time sampling moqueca (Brazilian fish stew). We were less than impressed. The moqueca was very bland. The only way we could get any taste was to salt it liberally and use some of the hot pepper sauce provided. It is definitely not worth the price you pay for it. A thin, bland stew that you add to rice made for a less than desirable meal. We also had the combination tapas platter for an appetizer....... don't bother with it, either. Not very good.
All in all.........the food is definitely not worth the price paid. The next time I'm in the mood for moqueca. I think I'll get a recipe off the internet and make my own!

• Visited June 2011