“USED to be good”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Channel Islands Blvd
Reviewed July 9, 2013

When I read the other bad reviews - we almost didn't go back as we ate here in 2011 ( and prior to that) and it was very good - boy have things changed here. We waited for over a half hour for our reservation - and there were at least 4 empty tables we could see. The salad bar was a mess - almost everything was empty and stuff was spilled all over...although our waitress was very nice, the food took forever to arrive, my husband's fish and chips were greasy cold and soggy - my seafood brochette was barely warm. The prices have gone up and the quality waaaay down. We will never eat here again...the most expensive and worst fish and chips ever!

There are newer reviews for The Whales Tail

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Whales Tail Restaurant in Oxnard has changed through the years and they are the rudest people. We took a boat cruise last night in the harbor with some friends, before the fireworks show from the Navy Base.
First of all, we made reservations for 7 pm (we arrive 6:50 pm), they told us that the reservations were for 7:30 pm. Telling us that they would not have made reservation for 7 pm because they was nothing available. Right their they basically said that we lied. After raising a ruckus, they seated us, but before that, they told us we had 90 minutes to eat and get out.. Than looking at the menu, and we were ready to order, they told us that we had to ONLY order from their specials.(which we were not told when we made the reservations). We had to wait awhile to get service and after we put in our beverage order in, it took 15+ when we finally got that. They finally took our order, and a hostess walks up to us and asks us what time were we seated....They were actually timing people. We finally got our food, not happy.
There was 6 of us, and most of them got fish n chips. The fish was greasy and small piece of fish and a thick coding of bread. The Whales Tails raised their prices at least 50 % from their regular menu. Example, the salmon dinner on the regular menu was 20.00 on there regular menu and they raised that meal 10.00 to 30.00. You did not get the entire meal as list on the regular menu.
To top the evening , when we finally got our bill, they auto added a 20 % gratuity on each bill. This 20 % was not listed on their specials. Other people were coming in sitting down and told the same thing were told when we first sat down. These other people were treated rudely and turned around and walked out.
I went up to file a complaint with the manager and she come up to me and told me let's talk out side. She brought her security guard. The manager did not want to listen to me and her security guard got in my face. I wanted to get that managers boss. Which at first she would not give it to me.
To make a long story short....DON'T GO TO THE WHALE'S TAILS RESTUARANT.
I along with 12 people will never walk up those stairs again. Lisa the manager and her boss that we know we're so damn rude that I plan on calling my credit card company and canceling or fighting that bill.

Many did get up and walked out and we should have too, but because of the holiday, no where else to go by boat an there was tons of traffic, so we didn't want I drive. Should have taken up an offer on people we know and went and drank and had burgers and dogs on their 65 foot boat.

Lesson learned

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The is one of the only restaurants that has a lovely view of the harbor. We have been going to WT for nearly 10 years. The menus is the same, the wait staff changes often, the staff acts like they could care less whether you dine there or not. The food is mediocre.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was here on a saturday, the day before Easter. Great band was there playing mostly covers. Really enjoyed them a lot. But, the bartender totally ignored me, so did not get drink anything this time. Huh???

Came back the next day for the Easter brunch, seemed the Thanksgiving buffet has better quality food. So, was a bit disappointed. But, can never get enough of the view. Would still come again in the future. Service was great, many people coming and going by to help fill drinks up often.

Chairs are too hard though, have to get up once in a while and move about as the ones that are the upper level are not padded and hard wicker. I wish they would get better chairs. I end up with a sore butt after leaving most of the time.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Nice views of the harbor. Food was average. Would not recommend the chowder. Sat in the bar service was good.