“Private Party Big Success!”
Review of La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita
Ranked #84 of 307 Restaurants in Oxnard
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Italian Mediterranean Cuisine in a casual but elegant atmosphere. Full Bar fireplaces, patio, Catering on or offsite, private dining rooms, cooking classes, 1901 Historic three story home. Holiday Specialties, private floors for showers, weddings, anniversaries and more.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had a private party in the upstairs dining room with about 45 in attendance. This room was perfect for our group, with plenty of room to set-up for beer, wine, and light snacks for mingling and visiting with one another before dinner. The BBQ Buffet was served - BBQ Chicken, Grilled Tri-Tip, Green salad, Potato salad, Ranch beans and Garlic bread – all very delicious and plenty for everyone. For dessert, Michelle prepared a variety tray of small-portioned deserts, which was a big hit!

Working with Michelle to plan the event was a pleasure; she made everything so easy. And the service during the party was exceptional, and friendly. When a couple arrived late, set-up of an extra 2-person table was quick and efficient.

Next time we need a place to host a party, we will go back!

1  Thank Alan W

Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is my favorite restaurant! The ambiance is quiet and romantic, old worldly and victorian. You can sit outside on the porch or patio and overlook Heritage Square, a block of restored Victorian houses or stay inside in the cozy dining room. Service is friendly and efficient. But the star of this restaurant is the food, as it should be! Italian/ mediterranean at it's best. I'm Italian so I don't usually eat it out, but Chef Michelle creates wonderful dishes. Everything on the menu is delicious. Don't miss this gem!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were alone in the dining room so it was very intimate. The server was a recent transplant from CO, a very nice young lady. The food was excellent.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Food is excellent (try the butternut ravioli); great service. Restaurant is in a made-over Victorian home in downtown Oxnard. A true gem!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

In the last 5 months my wife and I had been to La Doce Vita twice. Everything was O.K on those occasions. On the last of those two occasions, I was there with a party of six. No tip was added to the bill, and we left a 20% tip. On each of those occasions we had a waiter who was a very pleasant and efficient young man. The food was good, and the service was impeccable. Because of those pleasant experiences, we returned on April 11, 2012, with our 2 daughters and sons-in-law to cebrate my and my wife's 55th wedding anniversary. Much to our chagrin, the experience was one of the worst restauant experiences we have ever encountered. It seemed like the prior competent chef, waitress, and other staff were replaced by incompetent help. After we were seated, it took 15 minutes before the waitress, who the advised of the specials, and took our order for drinks, attended to us. We ordered a bottle of wine and a glass of ice tea neither of which was delivered for another 20 minutes. Another 20 minutes passed before the waitress took our food order, soup and sald of which were not served for another 10 minutes. The ministrone soup was very watery and otherwise unpalpitable. When the entrees were served 30 minutes later the food was cold. My son-in-law and I had ordered filet minon steaks, both of which were over cooked and very dry. (I had ordered mine medium rare and it came medium well.) One of my daughters returned her pasta which was extremely seasoned, (hot) for a milder one, and the other returned her pot roast the meat in which was tough and chopped into little pieces and loaded with fat. She chose not to reorder a substitute. I subsituted with Seafood Linguini. It was O.K. in taste but had no scallops, or shrimp, (on the description on the menu the menu) and instead of those, pieces of fish (not on the description on the menu.) My son-in-law law substituted a pork and pasta dish, which was just O.K. (He would never had ordered it if he knew what it was like.) We waited 25 more minutes for the substituted dishes to arrive. It took us 25 minutes to complete our meal after the substuted dishes arrived. Then it took 15 minutes for a bus boy to clear the table, and 15 minutes more to get the check. All in all, we spent 2 and 1/2 hrs in the restaurant, from our reservatin time of 7:30 to 10:00. The rest of the service was horrendus. The waitress never appeared unless we summoned her. She never asked my daughter if she wanted more tea, and of course never gave her a refill. When she brought my seafood linguini, she didn't bring a bowl for the discarded shells, a cocktail fork, nor a spoon for the broth, and it took her two trips to bring them separately. She never offer cheese for those who had pasta, nor did she serve bread until she brought the soup and salad. The bread was served with brochetta (which was fine) instead of butter or olive oil. However, when we ran out and she brought more, she charged us for the second brochetta. She never asked if we wanted desert or coffee. Of course we would have declined both.) A short time after we had first complained, a lady in a chef's apron who I believe was also the owner stood behind the reservation booth for about 15 minutes with her elbos on the counter and chin in her hands glaring at us, making my daughters very uncomfortable. And finally, when the check was prepared it included an 18% tip, which of course we didn't authorize, and trypically such inclusion is never added unless there is a party of 8 patrons or more. HOW PRETENTIOUS!!!