“A cockrock infested, poorly managed run down slum shanty.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Sunset Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Oroville
“A cockrock infested, poorly managed run down slum shanty.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

At first I was just happy to have a place to lay my sleepy head after driving 5 hours to visit my mother in law for the weekend as it was too late when I arrived to stay at her home tonight. I paid 75.00 for just myself for the night, which I was okay with, it is friday (2/1/13) after all. The woman who checked me in was extra nice when she was taking my money only to see a different side when I went back down to the office to ask for extra sugar for my coffee in the morning. So, I enter my seemingly decent room and the first thing I notice is a hair tie, hair attached, and a bobby pin laying on the ground. No biggie I am tired and I have nowhere else to go so I brush it off. Here is where I draw the line, I find a cock roach on my bed. On my frikking bed. How does that even happen? I wrapped it up in a tissue and made my way to the office, thinking it happens, they'll help me out and make this right. Boy was I wrong. After about ten minutes speaking with the insufferable manager guy he offers me 10% off. I asked him if he was joking and he said he wasn't and they try to keep the bugs away but it happens sometimes. So now I have paid 75 dollars for a room I won't even be sleeping in after all that and he took the bug and told me he would return a whole 7.50 for my troubles. I understand its late ( 2:30 am ) but that is not good enough when you clearly dont clean your rooms correctly and you have a terrible attitude as I didnt even raise my voice, I was calm but now I am super angry and tired. Along with this review I am posting and tagging the franchise on facebook and hashtagging the crap out of it on instagram. Also, while I am here, I will be making flyers and posting them at every local business that will allow me to. Congratulations to the management at Sunset Inn in beautiful downtown Oroville, you have made an enemy with alot of time on her hands.

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank babehsjennmarie

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Oroville, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

This hotel is located in my town. My sister needed a place to stay for a while because she was looking for a place in the area. She rented this hotel a couple of times for a week or more. It is more of a weekly hotel for people in the area who dont have homes. That is all fine and dandy, however the rooms are disgusting. The carpets are dirty, the wallpaper is peeling off the walls, there are holes in the walls, and they stink. When my sister stayed here some of the people that were staying here were very questionable. If you are in the area for something and need a place to stay, I would not stay here unless you are very comfortable in filth. Good Luck!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank LearyTraveler

Travelers are raving about these Oroville hotels

N. California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2005

I needed to get some work-business done on financials and spreadsheet, and needed to get out of my house/home for a few days to do so, so I checked into a local hotel in the town I lived in.

I was disappointed. From the ourside it looked pretty nice, and seemed to have a nice clean inviting swimming pool. When I opened the door it seemed nice and well appointed. But after about a minute or so, I could tell the room was full of mildew, that musty odor, and then as I looked at the carpet where the dresser and rug meet, it was filled with dirt and dust. Many of the corners, cracks and crevasses in a room, like between drawers or just under the TV where it sits on the dresser, dusty dusty dusty. Even just once a week, is it too much to ask that housekeeping put a crevice tool onto their vacuum and get the corners of the room and run a wet rag under furniture and appliances?

Bathroom had lots of cracks in the flooring and thus a comfy home for more mildew and fungus.

I was disappointed -- this is what my town offered its guests. I think I will write to AAA because this motel carries its endorsement.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank Luv2TravelNCruise
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2003

not a bad hotel, advertise a free contental breakfast, but provide coffee (didn't try it) and a nasty little plastic wrapped dainish you'd expect to find at a gas station. (there is a better coffee shop down the street). room was pretty big and clean (except for a couple "pubes" in the bath tub) but the lobby was stinky. tv was new, with cable, hbo, etc. pool was nice and clean. it's in a good location near hwy 70 and staples and walmart. bottom line, i've had better, but i've had much worse (even from the big chain hotels).

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oroville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oroville Southwest
Gold Country Casino & Hotel
Residence Inn Chico
Residence Inn Chico
#5 of 17 in Chico

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!