“What a great place to stay in Oroville!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oroville Southwest
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Oroville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 1, 2010

My son and I were visiting my family for the weekend. I was so impressed with the service I received when I made my reservation over the phone. When we arrived we were able to get into our room immediately, although check in wasn’t until 3:00. The room was spotless and the beds were so comfortable. My son and I both agreed that whenever we come back to visit our family in Oroville, we are staying here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2010

Stayed for two nights for a family reunion. The facility is nice and the folks working here were very friendly and helpful. The staff helped us use their breakfast room for the family reunion and it worked out very well. However, staff at a nice hotel such as this should be trained and ready with accurate local information. We were informed that the nicest local restuarant was open Sunday night; it was not. We asked how to get back onto the nearby highway since the entrance ramp nearest the hotel was closed; the desk clerk had no idea and no real interest in finding out. Did they never drive around their own neighborhood? Wouldn't the manager want to inform their front desk with updated directions on how to get to and from the hotel due to nearby major ramp construction? It's not that the staff was unfriendly, but just not informed and not really interested in the type of info that most hotels have at their fingertips.
Overall, it was a nice place to stay with comfortable beds, clean rooms, and generally worth the cost.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank heart
Reviewed August 26, 2010

This place discrimanated against me the minute I walked in. told me that no rooms were available . But when i called from the parking lot 3 minutes later, they told me that they had just the room I was looking for . Sorry I did not look like one of the beautiful people.
Stayed at the Feather River Casino and Resort where they treated me and my spouse like a king and queen. The night before we stayed in Grass Valley at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites and were treated very respectfully there. Getting back t o the Oroville one, I dont know what these employees or one specific employee had against us . But ill never go near there again. Bikers Beware!!!!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lenardPleasantonCa
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I travel a lot for work, typically staying 4-5 nights at the same hotel. As a female traveller, I have come to rely on Holiday Inn Express as a brand that I can trust for safety, predictability, and a sense of being at a home away from home. From the moment I walked into this hotel for a recent 4 night stay, the message I received was that my needs were secondary. Unlike most HIEs, where someone is always stationed at the front desk, finding someone at the front desk here was an exception to the norm. The absent front desk person became symbolic of many other failings: Bathroom amenities (shampoo/soap/lotion) were not refilled the last day of my stay (which I realized after I'd packed up all of my own bath products), the condiments for the coffee maker - including cups - were not replenished on two occasions, there were no "extras" like one typically finds at HIE - no lemonade (thank you, Willows), no coffee (while I wasn't there during the day, at night the breakfast room was locked & I got the impression that happens as soon as breakfast ends) (Woodland, Willows have access to coffee ALL day/night), no free drinks (thinking fondly of Nevada City) and the ONLY time I saw cookies was at breakfast (just what I need at 7am!). If you are health conscious, the only fruit available at breakfast = bananans. When I originally checked in, I had to argue with the front desk person about my status as a new platinum elite member (he insisted I was still registered "gold" and while he said he'd upgrade me, I got a noisy room facing the freeway of the same variety I registered for). I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. While it is true that it's new and the rooms reflect the "newness" (though upon entry mine had a funky smell - again, atypical of most HIEs), I'll take less new for conscientious, thoughtful, friendly service - the kind of service that makes me feel safe and valued. On the rare occasion that I encountered staff - at breakfast, in the hallway - no one ever smiled at me and said "hello" here. The last straw came at check-out when I was told (after, of course, having to ring the bell to summon an attendant) that I couldn't check out because the machine was down (and, as it turned out, not expected to be fixed until the following daty). No suggestions were made re: how to accomodate this problem and no apologies were offered. Instead, when I pointed out that I'd be leaving either way, I was more or less scowled at and asked if I reserved online at Expedia (somewhat insulting). This is the first time I've called customer service over a problem at any hotel, and based on all of my travel, I suppose I should feel lucky that it hasn't happened before. I will say that despite my fondness for every HIE I've frequented before, I won't stay at this location again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank hildagarde2009
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Excellent place! The room was very nice, having one on the 3rd floor with a lovely view of the region. The service was very courteous and the whole facility was very clean. The only downfall I realized was the location, it's placed infront of another motel, and the backside of the hotel shares a parking lot with the motel behind it. Otherwise, A- overall for everything!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wearearchitects
Reviewed January 16, 2010

This place will impress you. Luxurious all the way around. Flat screen tv's, plush beds with extra pillows, modern decor that is warm and inviting. I loved this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Our room was beautiful and comfortable! We stayed for 3 nights. The staff was helpful, the entire hotel was kept very clean. We used the fitness center and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning. We had a peaceful and quiet stay. The microwave and refrigerator were a plus. Would definitely stay there again and recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Oroville to family and friends. It is the nicest place to stay in Oroville!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oroville
The Lodge at Feather Falls Casino
Quality Inn, Near Chico State
Ramada Plaza Chico
Ramada Plaza Chico
#8 of 17 in Chico

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oroville Southwest? Share your experiences!