“Shaky start, very nice finish!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oroville Southwest
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Oroville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Looking to stay in Oroville for a high school b-ball tourney, a team mom settled on the HIE. I went to the hotels website to look at pricing and then called the hotel directly to ask a question about the suites. Hotel properties sometimes have different opinions as to the definition of a suite and I like a separate room for the kids!

After getting my question answered I asked to book a room. The clerk came back with a quote that was significantly higher than their own websites quote. OK, maaaaybe I can see that, but then he wouldn't honor HIS online price. I've never had that happen. After asking him to please go to his own website and looking at the quote together he finally relented. What should have taken 5 min. took 30.

Regarding the property and our stay.....everything was excellant! The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. The included breakfast was ample (omelets/waffles) and better than average quality.
The staff was superb, from the manager to the front desk personnel to the maintenance guy. The breakfast attendant was awesome, always smiling and asking if we needed anything else. The were all very patient with our mostly well behaved girls basketball team!

It's nice to see friendly and caring employees these days.
We'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelgee

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our recent stay was not for leisure, but to attend the nearby State Gymnastics meet. So, while convenience, proximity and reasonable rates were our priority, cleanliness and guest service are always our main concern wherever we stay. We secured a group rate early on so that was great. Upon arrival it was nice to see a Sonic drive-in sharing the lot as our daughter loves their shakes! Although the front desk was unattended, without a service bell, I called to the back room and check-in was smooth and friendly. Of course, everything was self service, so we loaded up our belongings onto a cart and headed up to the room which was well appointed and clean. The convenience of the fridge and microwave was nice as was the free wi-fi. The indoor pool was a huge plus considering how cold it was outside, but the girls did not have a chance to swim before we left for dinner and had to get to bed for competition the next day. Front desk was helpful with dining recommendations, but I researched ahead of our stay and found a local pizza place called Celestinos that was better than any of the 10 chains we passed along the main road. The beds were comfortable and we slept well, but the other room doors could be heard loud and clear very early in the morning. But this is to be expected for the way these HIX are built and it is not your luxury hotel. Overall, if we had to return for Oroville we would stay here again.

Room Tip: we were lucky to be on 3rd floor as I imagine the lower floors could hear a lot of foot traffic from...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed at the HIE for three nights in August. I lived and worked in the area for 25 years, very familiar with Oroville and the surrounding areas. We were thrilled that this hotel was built where it was because there was nothing in the area when we left in 2006. There is still nothing in the area. If we have to stay in Oroville, and hopefully no one ever does have to, we'd stay here again because it's all the town has apart from two casinos. However, we chose to stay in nearby Chico, with more options and viability. That being said...
This HIE is pretty much the same as any of the others, except that there are housekeeping issues. Very sad. I took photos to demonstrate. It's not hard to keep grout clean and I am not sure why so many hotels allow this problem to occur. The grout in the shower was mold stained. But worst of all, the floors were filthy. No kidding. It was obvious not only the bathroom floor was not clean, but the carpets were not being vacuumed. The area has these little sticker things that come in from outside. They were all over the carpet. A little vacuuming goes a long way. So does a little carpet cleaner. But the worst offense out of all of it was what I dubbed "the welcome hair." That thing stayed in the same place on the bathroom floor the whole time we were there.
Further proof the bathroom floor was not cleaned. I called down the first day we were there to tell them the bathroom floor was really sticky (I don't even want to think why.) I was told sorry, but that was it. hmmm. So, I wet down their pretty white hand towel and used my feet to wash the bathroom floor myself. I am quite sure that was the only time it was cleaned. So sad you can build the HIE in Oroville but you can't take the Oroville out of the HIE.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank myjb
OrovilleManagerHIX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oroville Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

To our Valued Guests,

Our heartfelt apologies go out to this guest and we regret we were unable to remedy this guests experience during their stay. I also thank this guest for sharing their comments and concerns. We do place a great deal of attention to the quality of our rooms and the way they are cleaned. Our guest room are not only cleaned by housekeeping, but inspected after the completion by their supervisor. We are also extremely happy and feel privileged to be located in Oroville; Oroville provides many remarkable experiences to its residents and visitors. Oroville is a great place to live, work and play... I would encourage you to come and experience it for yourself..

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Everything is clean, staff friendly but beware of traffic noise all night and the normal disrespectful individuals that slam their doors (or just dont ease it closed) before 630am!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank auditing4you
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for a girls weekend and loved it. Super clean, comfy beds and nice rooms. The front desk staff was very friendly and the hot breakfast in the morning that was included in the room rate was wonderful with once again very friendly staff. Would recommend to everyone for a great deal and nice place to stay at an affordable price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank horseloverm
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We stayed 1 night on a weekend and loved this hotel. It is brand new and you know it. The rooms are big, clean, comfortable and have a fridge, microwave and bar sink. The breakfast is included and delicious (bacon, omletes, biscuits and gravy, etc.). If we didn't have to be home the next day, I would have stayed longer.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank snikcod
Reviewed January 28, 2011

This hotel was GREAT for my business needs! Free wi-fi, great working facilities and even a fitness area I could use! I even saw the pool from where I was working out - would definitely recommend this for families as well! The breakfast was DEFINITELY a hit!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SanJoseFuntraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oroville
The Lodge at Feather Falls Casino
Ramada Plaza Chico
Ramada Plaza Chico
#7 of 17 in Chico
Magnuson Grand Bonanza Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oroville Southwest? Share your experiences!