“Stupid Policy”
Review of Casa Orinda

Casa Orinda
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa Orinda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 44 Restaurants in Orinda
Cuisines: American, Italian, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Me and my wife decided to go to Casa Orinda For dinner on Saturday 23rd. We heard that they are known for their Fried Chicken. we also have our 7 months old baby with us. We walked in at 9;00 pm. No one was at the door, after 5 minutes a lady in bohemian dress showed up. I asked if they have table for two and a baby. she said yes, I asked, should i bring him with his car seat or stroller, she replied, doesn’t matter. We followed her passing the main dinning room to a room located in the back of the restaurant, the room looked like an employee dinning Room at the time. the floor was filthy and needed to be vacuumed, non of the tables were set, no one was in the room except employees. there were 3 tables that staff were eating dinner, some sitting and couple of them were standing while there were eating. at the same time staff were coming and going out of that room. We felt very uncomfortable sitting in that room, when one of the waitresses walked in I mentioned that there are two empty tables in the main dining room and if she could move us to the main dining room. she replied, I’m sorry we don’t sit kids under the age of 16 in the main dining room. My jaw dropped, I really didn’t know what to say. we said thank you and left.
This means that when people walk in with their kids and the kids look under age they put them in the back room. This has discrimination written all over it. the most pathetic policy I have ever heard. you are sitting us in the employee dinning room and charge us top $$$ for you fried chicken, and your excuse is that you don’t sit kids in the main dinning room. I don’t care what you use this room for during your rush hours, at the time we walked to that room it was used as an employee room I don’t even think French Laundry or Ritz Carlton dinning room would have such a policy. Because we have a baby with us, we are not allow to sit with rest of the people, (you make us to sit In the back of the Bus). I’m not even sure about the legality of your stupid policy.
I will go to every restaurant review web site, every restaurant blog. I even write to Michael Bauer.
You should be ashamed of your self and your stupid policy. Not even you ruined our night, you also made us feel bad about having a baby and not being treated like rest of the people in the restaurant
Since we live in the neighborhood I will make sure every person knows who pathetic you are.

4  Thank Aria E

Reviewed May 29, 2012

grim, over-priced, dark watering hole populated by old worn orindans. food mediocre and unimaginative.

4  Thank 32831bob
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Some friends told us that they and Alice Waters both thought that Casa Orinda had the best fried chicken in the Bay Area. So one night we went with two other friends. Two of us had the fried chicken which was good, but not wonderful. There was way too much chicken piled high on a platter with mashed potatoes and gravy. The other two of us had fish and grilled vegetables which seemed both more sensibly proportioned and tastier. The restaurant is filled with 'western' art and stuffed animal heads, antique rifles, etc. And as the dining room fills up it gets very noisy. So -- go early and only order the chicken if you want lots of food or plan to take some home.

3  Thank dam&gwb
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This place has been around for what, 80 years - so they must be doing something right. And that something is great, hearty food, great cocktails, unique atmosphere and management that obviously cares about keeping the place in top condition. The fried chicken is the best around and the prime rib is always great. Steaks and other dishes are also good. Many classic old restaurants tend to be pretty run down but not the Casa. They obviously take great pride in what they do here. I highly recommend dinner and a cocktail here then, a movie across the street at the Orinda theater for a great night out.

1  Thank fosmith
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a wonderful restaurant. Have been there many times over thirty years. Classy decore and wonderful food. Lately I have ben ordering the Chichen Parmagon, but chicken, beef and seafood are all excellent. My wife ordered Prawns and we have never seen such large ones. Try it if you haven't. You will love this restaurant.

1  Thank Dick87