“Very nice cabin”
Review of Elk Meadow Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orick
Elk Meadow Cabins
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Very nice cabin”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We loved this cabin, wich had everything we needed. Fully equipped, with wahing machine, dryer, dishwasher. Very clean. And the owners are very helpful. We had problems watching the TV, and Donna came herself in the evening, a few minutes after we called her, to help us ! The place is really nice, we had elks just near the cabin !

Just one thing : you've better buy your own food, because there are very few restaurants in Orick, and you have to drive minimum half an hour if you want another place to eat !

We loved the Redwood national and state parks. We visited the Tall Trees Grove (a code is required, you get it at the visitor center in Orick), and the Fern Canyon. There are lots of nice trails.

We definitely recommend this place, a great one to stay at !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank SwissChipmunks

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is by far the best lodging option between Crescent City and Trinidad. I did not see anything else comparable. We stayed in the Gold Rush Cabin. It was nicely appointed. All six cabins have identical layouts and amenities. From the outside I would pick The Bear's Den, it had the cutiest exterier but I am sure they are all nice inside. My only complaint was that the Refrigator was not as clean as I think it should have been. In fact I had to clean it before I would put our food in it, other than that the cabin was very clean. It was great to have a washer/dryer after traveling for 10 days and it was nice to have room for everyone to spread out. There is really not many dining options in the general area at all, so definately bring your own groceries and make sure you stop in Crescent City if coming from the North since that is the last option for a large grocery store, we stopped in for a few forgotten items in what was called the Orick Market and they were extremely limited and their prices were really expensive.

The Cabins are located in such a perfect location for visiting Redwoods National and State Parks. The road to Fern Canyon is literally the next street over and Lady Bird Johnson and Tall Trees is just down the road as is the Newton B Drury Parkway.

Also we were visited by Elk twice during our 4 day stay and that was an awesome site. They were literally right outside our cabin in our yard! They also have a shared hottub and an assortment of lawn games to borrow, there is also a nice firepit stocked with firewood, lighter fluid, matches etc.

If you are heading to the North Coast Redwoods this is the place to stay, you won't be disappointed. The people who run the cabins are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Beth H
California
Reviewed July 28, 2011

A group of us rented five of the houses and everyone I've talked to had liked their cabin and had a great time. The owners have included just about everything you'd need. If I come back (and I'd like to) I'd bring a couple extra pots/pans, a colander, and some spices. But, all in all, they provide just about everything you'd need in a kitchen, including coffee and tea.

The walls were a little thin, so I could hear people talking in the living room while I was in bed, but it was easy to ignore. And the internet connection didn't work too well. I was there for almost two days before I could access it and it frequently was very slow when I did have it. Outside of that, I can't think of anything that wasn't perfect.

Also had a great time watching the elk in the meadow across from the cabins. They're not there all of the time, but when they are there, they are very comfortable being around humans as long as people don't approach them too closely.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank jaimexplorer
Queensland
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed at the Redwood Vacation Village in July for 3 nights. The cottages are really comfortable, well equipped, and clean. Our cottage had 2 queen beds, 2 singles and 2 bathrooms. On our first morning we were thrilled to see a herd of elk in the meadow beyond the back of the cottage, only to be even more thrilled when they wandered right past our little deck out the back of the cottage! We kept expecting them to return other mornings but didn't see them again. We felt very lucky. The owners of the cottages are friendly and helpful and even have a box outside filled with balls etc for kids to play with. Our boys really enjoyed kicking a ball around with their children on the large grassy area outside the cottages.
Just be sure to pick up groceries before Orick as there is only a small shop in Orick. We used the cottage as a base to travel up to Klamath and Jedidiah Smith SP and then to drive south to Trinidad and Patricks Point. Only just down the road is beautiful Fern Canyon and the Miners Ridge trail.
We sould definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Bruanne
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Our cabin at Elk Meadow was beautifully situated for our family gathering. The large rooms, deck, kitchen, dining and living area gave us lots of room for comfortably relaxing after the day's hiking, horse back riding, or whatever. Anything we needed, we found in the cabin. Very much enjoyed the campfire area, stocked with wood, and the hot tub. It was great to have such comfortable accommodations located so close the forest trails and remote beaches.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Seawolfe_10
Georgia
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This is a very nice place to stay if you want to explore the northern California coast and the redwoods. We stayed two nights in the Lady Bird Loft. The pictures you see on the website are very accurate. They did a great job when they renovated the houses and they are well maintained. Everything was spotless! The kitchen was well stocked with necessay cooking untensils. Grant was a wealth of information. We told him some of the things that we wanted to see and do while in the area and he gave us tips on which trails to hike and places to visit. His suggestions were right on target for our group.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank gatravel
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed there with my family from August 18th through September 17th 2008. We loved our extended vacation there. We are from Florida so the many different animals were AMAZING! I don't remember the exact name of the cabin we stayed in but it was the very last one with the wheel chair ramp. The Elk were AWESOME! I had never seen one let alone a whole herd. The Bull would walk up to the picture window in front and stare at us. We will be going back to stay for another month at the end of 2010. The owners were Extremely nice! The house keeper was VERY trust worthy! I will never stay any other place while we are in that area. My daughter was 3 when we visited and there was no shortage of things to do. I would recommend to anyone that is in Northern California or heading that way. I took so many pictures of our vacation. It was an extremely comfortable stay there, WELL WORTH THE MONEY! The whole trip in one word was Amazing!

The Blanes Family

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank KBlanes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orick
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Arcata/Eureka Holiday Inn Express
The Lost Whale Inn
The Lost Whale Inn
#1 of 5 in Trinidad

Been to Elk Meadow Cabins? Share your experiences!