“Nice Setting for Average Mexican Cuisine”

Moreno's Mexican Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #135 of 469 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice Setting for Average Mexican Cuisine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The location of Moreno's is convenient, and it always looks like a magical place when you drive by, but the food and seating are old school style. When we arrived it felt like a trip back in time. The building at the center of the property is very old, and unfortunately it is starting to feel that way. You have to wind your way around the plastic tables and chairs outside to find someone inside to seat you. We sat inside due to the preferences of our party, which felt old and slightly dirty, hot and crowded. Not bad but not that comfortable either.

The chips and salsa were delivered in abundance, but the salsa tasted barely like anything more than ketchup. If a spicier option had been offered we would have liked that. The menu has many offerings, mostly of what I would call the "bean and cheese soup" variety - something in a tortilla with sauce, next to a pool of beans and cheese. Some in our party wanted exactly that, but it was too heavy for my tastes.

The basic margaritas were good, but the fact that they offered about a dozen flavored options left me to believe that they just added a sugary syrup to the basic margarita. Not really competitive with the kind of fresher offerings at other "new" Mexican restaurants (even some of the chains).

The service was good and attentive, clearly they are experienced with handling a busy restaurant. While I would have preferred some fresher and lighter options on the menu (for example: ceviche besides cooked shrimp, an option for non-refried black beans, chicken tortilla soup with fresh vegetables), if you are in the mood for classic old school style Mexican food, Moreno's would be the place for you.

• Visited March 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“For local Mexican can't be beat !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

Always sit outside when possible great atmosphere even with the traffic noise still fun and pretty. Inside decor is outdated and bathrooms need sprucing up but you're not at a 5 star restaurant. The service is impeccable every time i go. Wait staff is very attentive and kind. Salsa and chips and pickled carrots and peppers are delicious. Have a cadillac margarita or cold beer. Food is delicious, hot and a great value for what you get. Lots of it !!! Plate is always overflowing with food. Never had a bad meal here. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2011
Northwest Ohio
“Great California Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

This place is fantastic! Great atmosphere - we ate outside under a tree in the evening. Service was superb. The food was exactly what we from Ohio were looking for in a California Mexican restaurant. Huge portions, very tasty, lots of variety to choose from. The Chile Rellenos was the best I've ever had. The only thing "average" was the Marguerita.

• Visited April 2011
california
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beware!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

My family and I read plenty of reviews before coming to the decision of making reservations at this restaurant and after reading great reviews we went ahead and made reservations for my grandmother's 80th birthday dinner, only to regret it immensely.
Our first impression of the place was that the decor was very cheap and outdated (something that with great tasting food we could forget about), in the 2+ hrs, we were there the mariachi were on a break for the most part, which was upsetting to us because it was a big part of our plans.
When we got our food we were VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!! I personally had the carne asada with the enchilada rice and beans, I took one bite and did not continue, the meat tasted funny and my plate seemed to be drenched in grease, I thought maybe I could eat the enchilada and return the meat but it was no where to be found, lol, then I thought I could eat a tortilla with beans and rice and they were awful too the beans taste like old can beans disgusting,
When the server came to check on us I told him my problem and he offered to get me something else, I declined and was offered a shrimp cocktail from someone in my party that had ordered it and even that was disgusting the shrimp had a dirty freezer taste to them, very unpleasant, and my grandmother did not eat her food, not one person in our table had anything good to say about the food.
The servers were never rude to us although we asked not be charged for things we did not eat, they were very polite and attentive.

1 Thank judy20ca
Arizona
“Still great food, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

We have been visiting this restaurant periodically since 1975 when they were in the original location further out Chapman. We haven't lived in the area in years and don't make it in too often, but when we are in the area we always do.

The food is as good as ever, so are the margaritas. I don't think the prices are out of line with any other restaurants of this caliber. And the panderia is wonderful, too.

Now to the but....I've always loved the new location and patio is lovely. When we visited this time, it was too cool to sit outside so we were inside. Please get rid of the plethora of really bad, fake flowers!!! Not sure how these crept in but It reminds me of a cheap funeral.

Otherwise, this a wonderful place. The food can't be beat for SoCal.