“Happy stay at the Doubletree”

Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Orange
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tucson, AZ
“Happy stay at the Doubletree”
Reviewed August 1, 2007

The Doubletree is modern and clean and comfortable. The beds are some of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. The shower had great water pressure and the bathroom was very clean. The view from the room was nice. The staff is friendly and doesn't keep you waiting. This was our second stay at this location and the only complaints I can think of were the limited parking and distance from the hotel, and the hotel often has business travelers who are loud and obnoxious in the late night hours.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed July 27, 2007

Returned for a 3rd stay, the other two were fine, but this time was HORRIBLE! I booked 4 rooms for a group of 16. When we arrived to check in it was too early. The front desk person looked up our name and seemed to notice something and then proceeded to ignore and treat us rudely regarding storing bags. Well if I knew then what I would find out at 5pm! We came back at 5pm to get our room and that is when we were greeted with the news that the hotel had water damage and we would not be staying there. Hold on a minute: you charged my credit card in February for the full 3 night stay, you've known for a month that my room had damage and when I came at Noon you ignored the details and me, you still could have told me I had no room! But you wait until 5pm to tell me.

So I am furious! 3 rooms are ok at the property but I am being walked to Fullerton, to a Chase Suites. Not acceptable, four star to a two star. The front desk peole were clueless and offered no acceptable solution. We asked for the manager but none were around. I am so mad, I am the one who recommended it to the other 14 in our party. After 1 hour of arguing about how they knew and could have told us earlier and I could have made other arrangements, they suggest that we just move to a hotel 40 minutes away, we had no car, the rest of our party was there and the purpose was to have a suite to accomidate 5 people near Disneyland.

I have never felt so disregarded and the hotel did nothing to fix the situation! I would expect this from a one star but not from a hotel chain such as Doubletree.

Be far warned if you stay here, you might end up out on the street or 35 miles away..Truely unexceptable.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank lameusel
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Stayed here one night in June. We were in town for an Angels game. This property EXCEEDED my expectations. Honestly one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Everything from top to bottom felt new and plush. Cookies at check-in - how can you not love that? Our room was spotless. The property is walking distance to the The Block @ Orange and to Angels Stadium. Just keep in mind, some people view 'walking distance' differently than others. I would say it was about a 20 minute walk to the shopping and maybe closer to 30 minutes to the stadium (just shy of a mile). I had no problem with this walk, but others might find it to be a bit too far. I would stay here again in a second.

• Liked — location to shopping and baseball!!
  • Disliked — parking fee - but not unreasonable
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jsundy29
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 3, 2007

I stayed at this hotel while on business in Orange County. I had enjoyed a stay there a few years ago and trusted the Doubletree name. First, when I attempted to park my car, the ticket machine was broken so I as told not to worry about a ticket, just tell the front desk (more on this later.)
Next, my room looked like it had been given the once over with a dirty rag. I was tired and didn't really care. I also did not look in the shower since the curtain was closed.
The next morning, I was up bright and early to get ready for my day. I pulled back the shower curtain and found a pool of brown sludge about an inch deep in my shower. It looked like the maid had shut the drain, run water to clean a VERY dirty tub or empty mop water, and forgot to release the drain and clean the tub.
I called the front desk, who sent someone up about half an hour later. He released the drain and then splashed water with his hands in an effort to wash the caked on film down. It was still pretty gross when he finished, and he lingered as if he expected a tip!
I told the front desk about my disgusting tub and the very disinterested employee's response was "yeah, we get some backflow on the lower floors sometimes." I told her I was on the top floor and my drain was shut. She responded by saying (very unconvincingly) that she was tell housekeeping about it.
Then, as I was pulling out of the parking lot, the attendant asked for my ticket. I told him what had happened the previous night, and he told me they were a separate company from the hotel, so he would need to charge me a $20 lost ticket fee in addition to the $10 parking fee and I would have to take it up with the hotel later. So I parked my car in the exit lane and began to walk into the hotel (I was REALLY upset at this point). The guy said he would only charge me the $10, but made it clear this whole situation (which resulted from their machine being broken) was my fault.
I emailed the property to relate my concerns, and received a nice email from the a Hilton employee. She said a representative of the property would be contacting me soon. After two weeks, nobody had contacted me, so I sent another email to Hilton Again, the woman was very friendly. She said the property would send me a voucher for any Hilton hotel. I finally received a ridiculous email from the property (along the lines of: lots of hotel rooms have brown sludge in the tub, but since you seem to have a problem with it, we will grudgingly send you a voucher), and they asked for my address to send the voucher. That was February...I'm still waiting.

• Liked — We saw Wayne Gretzky in the bar.
  • Disliked — Everything other than seeing Wayne Gretzky in the bar.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank KJR0711
m0rsel, General manager at Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County, responded to this review, July 8, 2007
I was quite concerned as I read this review until I came to the part where the guest had a conversation with the parking attendant. We have an automated control system that we operate ourselves without an attendant. In addition our hotel is only a year old and to my knowledge we do not have a plumbing problem.So while I can't be sure ,it appears that the guest stayed at another Hilton brand hotel in the area. My apologies never the less.
Respectfully,
Jeff Morse
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 24, 2007

Stayed for one night on business during the week of May 21, 2007. Hotel was much nicer than most Doubletrees I've stayed at before. Room was spacious, clean (except the curtains) and quiet. Newer TV in the room. Microwave and refrigerator appeared new as well. As a Hilton Honors member, you can enjoy the executive lounge for free appetizers and breakfast. Although you still must pay for drinks in the executive lounge, they did provide a free drink coupon. There was a photo shoot going on at the pool all week (?) so if you wanted to use a pool, you could go across the street to a pretty dumpy looking hotel and use theirs. No thanks! Adequate business center with free internet, printing & photocopying. I would stay there again if in the area.

• Liked — Good for business travelers.
  • Disliked — Worn out and dirty curtains.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Misha22
California
Reviewed May 13, 2007

Our stay at the Doubletree went better than planned! :)

CHECK-IN:
Upon arriving, the staff upgraded our room and gave us some yummy-tasting cookies (or so I'm told--I didn't actually try them. The person staying with me did though. The cookies had nuts in the them and I don't like nuts. Knowing that there are nuts inside is very important to any of you who have nut allergies--be forewarned!)

OUR VIEW:
Our view was spectacular! So many beautiful city lights surrounded our room. The only drawback was that I think that there might have been a hospital nearby, because we heard ambulances drive by a few times during the night.

THE ROOM:
Nice sized (much bigger than I thought that it would be). We got a room with 2 double beds. There was a table with 2 chairs and another little table with a lounge-type chair. There was a nightstand in between the two beds and a drawered-entertainment stand. Even with all of the furniture, there was still ample room for moving around.

THE CLOSET:
The closet was really nice because it had an interior light, which was very helpful. The closet has an upper shelf and hangers for your use.

THE BATHROOM:
Nice drawer space for all of your items. Nice marble countertop. Large mirror for getting ready. There were always an ample amount of towels and toilet paper and the bathroom was neat and tidy.

Unfortunetly, there were a few things in the hotel that I had some qualms about:

1. There was a small, dime-sized hole that I noticed above the sink, beyond the decorative light casing. At first, it startled me, because I thought that someone had put in a "peep hole." I used my camera to zoom in and see that it was actually just some sort of hole that they forgot to patch up. (I confirmed this by climbing up on the sink and getting a better look--I couldn't go to sleep or take a shower otherwise!) (See pictures).

2. The shower is really, really slippery! Be very, very careful! There is a medium-sized mat inside the shower/tub, but it does not cover the entire floor of the tub. I made the mistake of stepping onto the shower/tub part (the part without the mat) and almost slipped backwards. Be very cautious and make sure that you step on the mat so you don't hurt yourself!

3. There is no air conditioning in the bathroom. There is a vent to allow steam and heat out, but there is no cold air blowing in. It wasn't dreadfully hot, but I like it better when there is an actual air conditioner blowing cold air in.

4. The color scheme. I really didn't like the rustic-orange colored door. That's jusy me being picky, but I thought that I would mention it. The same color is on the front door of the room. (gag!) :P

BEDS:

1. Beds: Headboards are made of a white-washed/light wood. Bedspreads are folded down each morning and 5 fluffy pillows grace the top of the bed. All of my pillows were clean, but the person I came with noticed that the decorative "Sweet Dreams" pillow was dirty/stained and that there was a hair on it. I'm just thankful that it wasn't mine!

2. Beds are Double-sized. There are no queen-sized beds available. Only double and king. I'm taller and usually my feet hang off of the end of a double-sized bed, but this double-sized bed seemed to be a little longer than most, because my feet were somewhat far from the edge. It was really nice. :)

3. Beds have a pillow top tucked underneath the sheets. It was nice when compared to other hotel room beds for sure! (I'm a little spoiled though and have a two pillow tops at home, so I noticed a difference).

4. Nice sheets, a velour type blanket, a down comforter and a hotel-style bedspread. We had our air conditioning cranked up all night, but still stayed toasty warm under all the covers!

FUN ROOM AMMENITIES:

1. Alarm Clock: There is a really cool alarm clock that you can set to wake you up to either the classic "BEEP BEEP" sound or to your favorite style of music (Classical, country, rock, etc.)

2. Refrigerator: We didn't pay for a refrigerator, but the hotel offered us one when we asked if we could have a room upgrade. They provided the refrigerator for free, hooray!

ROOM DECOR:
I've taken several up-close pictures of the drapes, bedspread, mirrors, etc. so that you can see an up-close, personal look at the room and feel like you're there.

• Liked — The quality of the rooms--it was really, really nice!
  • Disliked — The creepy hole in the roof of the bathroom. It looked like a peephole, but wasn't. Still, it made me a little nervous.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank DLPrincess
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I had booked this hotel through priceline.com for $75.00 per night. I have used priceline on numerous occasasion in the past, and I certainly understand that booking through priceline only guarantees a room which will sleep two adults. However, up until now I have never encountered a problem with the higher star rated hotels accommodating my requests. I was very disappointed with the unprofessional attitude of the staff member at the registration area who grudgingly placed us in a non-smoking room with two double beds. This was surprising as I was told at the time of booking and again when I called the morning of our arrival, that the hotel would be able to honor my request. Unfortunately this individual, whose shift was ending, felt the need to remind me in a not-so- nice manner that "this was not guaranteed because we had booked through a third party" and acted as though she were doing us a great favor. In my book first impressions are lasting impressions and I doubt that I would directly book from this hotel because of this incident making us feel like second class citizens.
The room itself was large, clean and the beds were comfortable. The Neutrogena toiletries were also a nice touch. The hotel was conveniently located a short drive from Disneyland and shopping and dining at The Block at Orange. I highly recommend the Corner Bakery there for breakfast or lunch.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
ALO Hotel
#1 of 19 in Garden Grove
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
#6 of 118 in Anaheim

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County? Share your experiences!