“Great little place... Excellent Food and Service”

Ristorante Genovese
Ranked #67 of 472 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Orange, California
“Great little place... Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I'm not sure what happened to the folks who report bad service, but I think the folks here are some of the friendliest I've seen. The owner and his wife run the place, and the owner loves to meet and greet and hand out silly little toys to everyone in the place. It's a smaller place, and it sometimes takes a while to get a table, maybe that's why people are complaining.

Trust me, the food is WELL worth whatever wait you get, plus they have a little bar you can wait at. Authentic, classic and delcious food, plus super friendly ownership. This has the feel of a local hangout. I especially like the signs on the back of the building that read, "We serve our garlic with food", and "Highly recommended by the owner!"

This is a great spot, and I'd definately recommend it for a date night, or fun family dinner.

2 Thank Crstobal66

orange, CA
“Gigantic”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This place is awesome, not sure what people are talking about about the rude staff, mayge they just don't like it when the owner moseys around and asks how you like the food and tells a joke or two. Very cosy family restaurant that makes you feel like real people run it instead of a corporate chain. The food is fantastic, you won't find anything as authentic around the area without some serious gumshoeing.

2 Thank gorgerfoodie
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent food in a cozy, non-chain-restaurant ambiance.”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We enjoyed everything about our meal, from the first bite of hot garlic bread to the last sip of the house Chianti. Our server was happy to answer our questions about the extensive menu. We chose the Chicken Portobello, which was an unusual and wonderful combination of flavors and textures, and the Chicken Parmigiana, which was excellent. The staff was very friendly. There aren't many seats, and the place was really filling up as we left, so arriving early is a good idea.

1 Thank Syd18
Tustin, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely RUDE owners and staff - what a horrible experience”
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I had read some of the reviews before trying this place and thought that the person who had written a bad review just had a bad night. But I can attest to the rudest attitude and treatment by the owner Al and his wife and the waiters. I had been there once before with my family. The service wasn't the friendliest but the food was decent. I went back with some friends and our kids as it was on the way to our destination. At first, Al came by with some toys for the kids and things seemed to be fine. But by the time the food, came, Al comes by the table and starts collecting all the unused plates, saying, "we need the plates". I didn't think much of it as the place was busy, but a few minutes later, while we were still eating and nowhere near done (in fact our food was still hot and the plates full), the waiter comes by and firmly sets the check down on the table saying " we need the table"!!!! Before we even finished eating, my iced tea glass was taken without confirming that I was done, and they started clearing the table. I have never experienced such abnoxious attitude from anyone. If they don't want kids in there, they should say so. I would never recommend this place.

1 Thank 1docmom
Orange County
“Best Authentic Italian Food in town!”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Genovese is more than a restaurant, it is an experience! The food is outstanding - the cook has been with the family for about 25 years and has mastered many of the family recipes. My favorites are the chicken castillo, the veal involtini and the pasta fagioli soup. Their garlic bread is also out of this world. This is one of my family's favorite spots (including my two teenagers), because we are treated like family. From our first visit, Al greeted us by handing out interesting trinkets (light-up toys, play jewelry and shoe shiners) and making us feel welcome. I've seen some of the comments, and all I can say is that this is like being in someone's home. Some evenings can be slow, but the servers have always tried to do their best to make us happy. Al, who is 83 years old, is usually gregarious, charming and makes a point of greeting his guests personally (don't take his teasing personally). The atmosphere is fun, inviting and changes for holidays. Buon Appetito!

1 Thank gourmeteats