“Good Sandwiches, Great Beer!”

Hollingshead's Delicatessen
Ranked #52 of 469 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen
Dallas, Texas
“Good Sandwiches, Great Beer!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I visited this place on the recommendation of the patrons and beertenders at a local Anaheim brewery. I'm glad I checked before heading out as they stop serving sandwiches at 6pm. However, if you call before 6, they will make and hold it for you. They do close at 8pm during the week, so you don't have THAT much time. However, it's worth the trip.

At first look, it's nothing special; it's a deli in the inside corner of a strip mall. There ARE tables and umbrellas outside but it's still a strip mall. But don't let that stop you. Once you go through the door, you'll realize you're in a beer-lover's paradise... To the left is the deli counter and food racks (they have a great variety of chips and other food items), to the right is the beer cooler, holding an amazing selection of good and some hard-to-find beer, and in the middle is the social hub of the place. Tables are strewn about, filled by locals and regulars, all of whom seem to have their own personalized beer stein. The back wall features the bar with 20+ taps of rare and local beer.

When I arrived, my sandwich was waiting for me. I picked it up from the friendly staff and took it to the bar where there was a group of regulars watching an Angels game. The people were friendly, as we're the staff. The first bartender to wait on me was the owner. He was very polite and friendly. His son (who is a Cowboys fan, much to the father's chagrin) was the second to offer me a variety of tasters to ensure that I knew what I would be getting. They are both very knowledgeable about beer.

Seven pm hit and the son yelled out that it was last call. This was appropriate as the handwritten sign behind the bar indicated "Last Call When We Call!" :-) However, last call seemed to go on for quite some time, ensuring that everyone got what they wanted. At 7:30, the father turned off half of the lights and told everyone to drink up! Witty banter went back and forth between the regulars and the staff and it was a great experience!

If you love good beer and good sandwiches, and enjoy the feel of old-time, local corner bars, you NEED to stop in here when you're in the area!

Visited September 2013

“Great Sandwiches”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Tucked away in the corner of a small strip mall, this place has the best sandwiches. They serve over 500 different beers, so a lot of customers are here to buy liquor, but the best part are their sandwiches. The bread is always super fresh and soft, and they always pile a lot of meat onto your sandwich. The owner if very friendly. I like the fact there are outdoor tables and our dog could sit outside with us. The owner even came out and gave our little dog some dog bisquits, which she wasn't really interested in because she wanted my roast beef sandwich!

• Visited May 2013
Seattle, Washington
“One of the finest beer stores I've ever been in”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I love visiting here. The selection is amazing. LIke unbelievably amazing, rare, unusual and outstanding beers. I've never eaten here, but it's always packed. I am usually in just to buy beer, and see if I can get out for under $75.

Visited February 2013
Orange County, California
“Great selection of beer”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The number of beers they carry is amazing. The reputation of the establishment can be seen by the difficulty in finding a place to sit. Sandwiches (until 6 p.m., I believe) are good, but a bit pricey for their size. It is a fun place, filled with Green Bay Packers memorabilia. No fancy decor, but the atmosphere is like an American pub. The owner is a very friendly guy, with a good heart.

• Visited March 2012
San Juan Capistrano, CA
“What a beer selection, good food too!”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

You will be amazed at how many different beers are in this place. The sandwiches are made with quality, fresh ingredients and staff is very hard-working. Gets very busy for lunch, but worth it. Try to avoid the standard 12-1 lunch to enjoy your meal a little better.

• Visited August 2011