“Great Southern Cooking”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
San Juan Capistrano
“Great Southern Cooking”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Small but popular barbeque restaurant noted for its southern cooking. Had the Fried Chicken dinner which reminded me of hometown (Kentucky). Large offerings of sides. Only problem may be parking due to its popularity. and site limitations.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Kenneth S

Orange, California, United States
“Best Southern food in The City of Orange.”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Fried green tomatoes, just like momma use to make. Orange is not known for its southern food, but this place would fit in anywhere in the south. It has all of those southern favorites, like okra and grits for breakfast.

The Fixins include Barbeque Pinto Beans, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Southern Slaw, Collard Greens, Black-Eyed Peas, Mac n’ Cheese, Cajun Rice and Brunswick Stew. There are lots of True South Sandwiches on the Menu as well as BBQ Suppers. Good Catfish and Chicken Fried Steak.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mark W
“Great southern roadhouse style BBQ”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We've been going to the long beach location for 20 years, and the place off Chapman has the same great food and vibe. In addition to excellent BBQ, it's the fried chicken that keeps me coming back over and over.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MikeInCoto
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“BBQ is best in OC!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I used to frequently dine at this location when I lived in Orange County and it seems like there has been much improvement since I left. For starters, they have a bigger bar area, more flat screen TV's and 2 more kinds of sausage and the hot link sausage is the bomb! I ordered the three meat platter with brisket,pulled pork and hot link sausage and it gives some of my southern BBQ joints a run for their money and the couple is from NC. The greens are served southern style with hamhocks and turkey bits and enjoyed the black eyed peas. Josh, my server was quite friendly and the food was very quick and they serve you tea in my nice mason jars, an ode to Southern life. Sess, the manager came over a few times to check on me and was pleasant and a nice guy! I enjoyed this experience so much that I came back for their Southern breakfast the next morning and went with the cajun sausage omlette and it was delicious.

I will definitely return to this joint on my next trip to OC because they got the best BBQ in town and I am gaining a BBQ palate traveling and sampling BBQ coast to coast!

• Visited June 2013
The O.C.
“The fried okra is the BOMB!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

You GOTTA have it, with ranch dressing, especially when it comes out hot & fresh from the fryer. Good food, good prices. Join their email club, get some deals emailed to you. I think there was a birthday one in there, but I just couldn't hit all the places I got emails from for my birthday.

Visited August 2012