“Wonderful find”

Francoli Gourmet
Ranked #19 of 469 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wheaton, Illinois
“Wonderful find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Francoli was very good. The food was very good, served hot, good selection with great service. Not in expensive however great value.

• Visited July 2012

Newport Beach, CA
“Fair but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Food fairly good but not great and a little overpriced. Cappuccino not very hot. Location not busy on a sunny Sunday afternoon when other restaurants in the area were busy. We probably won't return.

Eureka, California
“Great food horrible music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My friend and I went on a girls' outing to the historic Orange Plaza area. After a couple of really fun hours cruising the antique/junk stores, we stopped in Francoli's for lunch. We started with a yummy bowl of tangy olives along with some so so bread to dip in the balsamic vinegar, oil. There weren't many others there at that time so we were waited on right away. My friend had the bruchetta and salad. I had the roasted vegetable panini. The portions were huge! We could have easily shared one or the other. My panini had a wonderful goat cheese spread and her bruchetta was just garlicy enough. They could use a lighter vinegarette dressing. All we could find were rather mayonaise based. Good food, great service...but the piped in music was awful! It ruined the whole atmosphere. There was a Christmas carol and some weird rock song. Even our waiter said he tries to ignore it. Still fun!

• Visited July 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Service, food and recommendations were all spot -on.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Service, food and recommendations were all spot -on.

We landed at Francoli after spending 45 minutes on a wait list for an outdoor table at Haven, just down the street. Finally, famished, the gentlemen hoofed it over to Francoli to see if they had outdoor seating available while a friend and I caught up. Glory be, a table for four, outdoors, was indeed available! We quickly vacated the very loud Haven and hoofed it over to Francoli. Best decision of the evening!

We were seated at a lovely outdoor table and our server promptly appeared. I ordered a Primitivo from the extensive wine list, but unfortunately they were out of that particular bottle so I chose another, similar Primitivo, first asking our server what he thought of this new bottle. His honesty ("It's pretty good", no attempt to oversell the alternative) is among the traits that made our service shine throughout the evening. After decanting, the alternative Primitivo opened up nicely and we ended up ordering two bottles throughout our evening. For a starter, we ordered a Carpaccio di Bue (Raw beef, arugula, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, capers, drizzled with lemon and extra virgin olive oil) for the table. Carpaccio is something we order often, and this one was very good. The tart-crisp of the arugula and the salt of the capers melded wonderfully with the fresh beef. Definitely give it a try when you're here.

Next up, it was a tough call between the Fettuccine Bolognese (I'm a sucker for a phenomenal Bolognese) and the Scaloppine al Vino Rosso (Veal scaloppine sauteed in a red wine reduction sauce, porcini mushrooms, served with fresh seasonal vegetables). Since veal is also something I order often, I wanted to get a good handle on how they prepare it so I went with the Scaloppine. It was divine. Cooked perfectly, no complaints - and the flavor was fantastic.

Curtain call: we could not decide and ended up with two desserts for the table. First was a classic: Tiramisu (One of Francoli Gourmet's specialties. Made freshly every day. Lady fingers soaked in Illy Espresso coffee, layered with Mascarpone cream and topped with cocoa powder) and next was something I'd seen on menus but never tried: Tartufo (A round form of fantasy creams covered with soft chocolate cream. Rolled in chopped praline nuts and covered with powdered cocoa). Both were very good and I'd recommend either or both if you're in the mood for dessert.

Overall, SO happy we ended up at Francoli over Haven. SO happy.

Visited June 2012
Newport Beach, California
“My Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Absolutely The Best Northern Italian Restaurant!!!
I feel like I'm part of the family, the food and music is fabulous...
The Art Work and Paintings on the walls are amazing.....

• Visited May 2012