“No problems here”

ALO Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We spent five nights at the Ayres Inn Orange and were very pleased. The rooms and the bathrooms were not large but were adequate, clean and well equipped. The pool area was lovely and well maintained. It was a bonus to have a breakfast buffet each day and happy hour on the weekdays, and being able to walk to "The Block" shopping and entertainment district was a plus. The only negative comment we have is that the shuttle bus didn't run in the afternoons and that was when we would have liked to return from Disneyland for a break. The staff that we dealt with were polite and hospitable and the shuttle bus drivers were particularly good. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed March 18, 2007

Our first two nights were not good because of problems with our family members a/c not working and their room adjoined with ours. Then our third through fifth nights were not good in our room. The 3rd night our a/c started clicking very loudly all night long. We would have just turned off the a/c and just used the fan, but there was a fire in the hills in Anaheim and the room filled with a smoke smell when you didn't use the a/c. We called down to the desk that next morning after a horrible nights sleep and complained about the a/c and they said they would send maintenance later that morning.
When maintenance arrived he pulled a bolt out of the a/c and said that was probably what was making the clicking noise.
So, that night wen we arrived back to our room, the clicking was exactly the same as before. We called down to the desk and asked the guy to come up to hear it so he could tell maintenance what he heard. He refused and offered to move us to another room. Well, we weren't in a position to move. The kids were already asleep. We were wiped out after a day at Disneyland. We also had adjoining rooms with my mother, sister and her two kids. We kept the room door open so the kids could play back and forth. Not to mention we had a weeks worth of clothes unpacked and in the closets and drawers, toiletries, electronics, ect. It would have been so much trouble to move. Why not FIX the problem!??
So, since the night guy refused to come and listen to the clicking, we videoed it with our camera so we could play it for the maintenance staff the next morning. We called that morning to see what they had planned on doing about the clicking. They said they would have someone fix it while we were out that day.
They never did!
So, when we checked out, we complained that it was never taken care of and they basically called us a liar. They said that because we didn't want to repack and move at midnight then we were just complaining to get a discount. I was FURIOUS!!!!!!! I told them that I recorded it for them and they acted like that was strange. I couldn't believe it, especially when I asked the front desk guy to come to our room twice to hear the problem and he refused and said that he believed me.
I have stayed at the Ayres for the last 3 years on spring break and will definitely NOT EVER COME BACK unless they get rid of the Manager and the front desk staff, with the exception of Pam, she was GREAT!! Also, the shuttle driver was really nice too!!!

I was very disappointed with my stay as was my sister and mother who also had problems with their room. I will let them give their review as well. We were all disappointed and will not be back!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mommies2girls
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Upon arriving at the hotel at 11:30 pm - I had to wake the front desk clerk. He was very put out to check us in. When I got to the room I needed to call the front desk for something and he wouldn't answer. The morning front desk clerk named Christopher was very rude to us, and we noticed to other guests as well. He stated to us, "Large families drive me crazy." We have four children and spent a lot of money to stay at this motel. We needed extra towels because they only give you two. When I sent my 15 year old son down to get some extra towels Christopher asked him what they were for. (Duh.) He didn't treat my son with much respect. The front desk clerks were ALWAYS on the phone or too busy to help with anything. The FREE shuttle is very poor. One day-Tuesday- they had a large one that seated 20. Disneyland isn't busy on Tuesdays and neither was the motel, however, it was full. You have to schedule the shuttle the night before and it only runs every half hour from 8-11 in the morning. If it is full, you are out of luck. To return you have to shcedule one of two times. Disneyland closed at 8 pm and they were there to pick you up at 8:15 or 8:45. We didn't have the time to spend at Downtown Disney after the park closed, and were very rushed to catch the shuttle. On Wednesday thru Friday the other days we were there, the shuttle was a small passenger van that seated 9 at the most. This is not acceptable for this large of a motel where most of the guests were going to Disneyland. Disneyland was busier these days. Agian, the front desk was terrible at accomodating us. The shuttle bus drivers were rude to us. We were running a few minutes late when we recieved a phone call from the front desk from Christopher again, He rudely said, "If your family is not in the lobby in 2 minutes, they will be left." When we arrived - we were the only ones on the shuttle - nobody was waiting. We were 7 minutes late. The next morning they were 15 minutes late picking us up. The breakfast was not a "cook to order" as stated. It was a buffet and was only from 7-9 on weekdays. It was a good breakfast - same thing everyday and not enough seating. The rooms are remodeled and are clean, however there is NO Ventilation. They are very stuffy and very small. Internet service is $8 a day and was down 2 days we were there. The hot tub was broke and the pool was very dirty and cold. There are a lot of choices in Anaheim and if you are traveling with a family, this probably isn't where I would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Piranhas
Reviewed January 3, 2007

The service was phenomenal and our room couldn't be more perfect!

Everyone was extremely friendly and personable. We especially loved the bed & pillows - oh so comfortable!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bebe087
Reviewed November 7, 2006

The room was clean and comfortable enough. Unfortuately, the staff was not all that concerned about service. I watched the clerk on the phone for a while as she made reservations for another person. I just needed change for the laundry. The worst thing they did was tell the shuttle driver to wait for another family who had planned to go a half an hour later than us. The family decided not to go after we waited (we had a 7:00 reservation to leave, there's was at 7:30) We ended up missing our early entry at Disney and got NO apology. They also wouldn't shuttle us to Anaheim Stadium (closer to the inn than D-Land). The breakfast was okay but more of the same everyday. a least the pool was clean but not realxing. It was right by the freeway. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2006

We stayed at the Ayres in Orange for one night over Parent's Day at my son's college in Orange. The hotel room was of average size, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. Generally, that's all we ask for (along with a decent price from somewhere like Priceline or Travelocity). This time, however, at 6 AM or 7 AM in the morning, they started jackhammering the pavement outside our room. We had checked in late the night before, and this was just a nightmare. I expected a "who cares" attitude at the desk based on reviews that I had read here, but when we checked out, the terrific manager heard about our problem and totally refunded our stay through Travelocity. I couldn't believe it. This is a quality operation, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David J
Reviewed October 23, 2006

We got the wrong room when we arrived, but the mistake was quickly fixed. My guy's are big eaters and found the free breakfast good and plentiful. The pool is not exciting, but for the price it is nice.Also you pay less tax in Orange than in Anaheim and no resort fees. We found that with the close parking we had a lot less walking to do than most hotels.The room service was just so so... we opted for fast food(convieniently located next door.) My husband enjoyed sitting in the lobby and enjoying their complimentary wine and cheese. My son enjoyed the free fresh baked cookies nightly. We will stay there again in 2006 and save over $2000.00 from when we stayed at the Disney properties, sorry Mickey.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank 34theroad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
#1 of 15 in Orange
#5 of 119 in Anaheim
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
#6 of 119 in Anaheim

Been to ALO Hotel? Share your experiences!