“A decent room and management that knows how to solve problems”
Review of ALO Hotel

ALO Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 2, 2006

We stayed at the Ayres in Orange for one night over Parent's Day at my son's college in Orange. The hotel room was of average size, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. Generally, that's all we ask for (along with a decent price from somewhere like Priceline or Travelocity). This time, however, at 6 AM or 7 AM in the morning, they started jackhammering the pavement outside our room. We had checked in late the night before, and this was just a nightmare. I expected a "who cares" attitude at the desk based on reviews that I had read here, but when we checked out, the terrific manager heard about our problem and totally refunded our stay through Travelocity. I couldn't believe it. This is a quality operation, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank David J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed October 23, 2006

We got the wrong room when we arrived, but the mistake was quickly fixed. My guy's are big eaters and found the free breakfast good and plentiful. The pool is not exciting, but for the price it is nice.Also you pay less tax in Orange than in Anaheim and no resort fees. We found that with the close parking we had a lot less walking to do than most hotels.The room service was just so so... we opted for fast food(convieniently located next door.) My husband enjoyed sitting in the lobby and enjoying their complimentary wine and cheese. My son enjoyed the free fresh baked cookies nightly. We will stay there again in 2006 and save over $2000.00 from when we stayed at the Disney properties, sorry Mickey.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank 34theroad
Reviewed August 11, 2006

I made our reservation at the Ayres Hotel for the first week of August, for our visit to Disneyland. Online, the Ayres advertises "Old World elegance" and "first rate service." Lies. It has nicer furniture than a Super-8, but the baseboard air conditioners leak, so the carpet is saturated and moldy by the window. They've even retrofitted the rooms with fans over the area, to try to help the situation. The rooms are old and rundown (we were travelling in a large party, so I saw a number of rooms.) The pool area is right next to the freeway--very noisy and irritating.
The worst part is the service--or lack thereof. The staff is surly, and treated us as if we were idiots, or at best a serious inconvenience. NO CONCIERGE whatsover, even though they advertise it on their website. No suggestions for restaurants, no directions anywhere. When I was there, they didn't even have any maps to hand out, and my request for mapquest directions was met with a lot of rudenss.

4  Thank ontheroadalot
Reviewed August 11, 2006

Let me start by saying I don't like spending a lot of money on hotels, but it seemed as if every cheap hotel in the area had bad reviews about bedbugs, dirty, or other problems and this one sounded great even if it was $119 a night. We got the Romance Package which came with Truffles, a bottle of champagne, and a late check out the day we left :). My boyfriend and I loved every minute of our two night stay at the Ayres. We rode Amtrak in from Fresno to Anaheim (train station about a mile or two from Ayres and cheaper than car with gas prices what they are now lol) and checked in around 7 or 8 in the evening. While checking in a staff member came over and placed a plate of fresh baked cookies next to us-delicious!! Our room was number 506 and every amenity in the room made us happy. The bed is an "Ayres Dream Sleeper" and was the best hotel bed we have ever slept on!! The pillows were soft and we just sank into our beautiful King sized bed. Our room came with a nice leather couch, big TV, amoire, and the TV had a DVD/VHS player connected to it for free which worked out great for us when we came home from Disneyland and were tired but still wanted to watch a movie. Our room also had a ceiling fan, a/c, a bigger than normal sized hotel refrigerator, coffee pot, iron, ironing board, and the usual toilitries and such.

As far as the breakfast that was mentioned, its great food and its free and you can't beat that at a hotel this nice. They offer scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, cereal, toast, pancakes, sausage, and fruit. We figure we probably saved about 15 bucks a day eating for free. In the evening there is also a wine and cheese cocktail hour in the European style lobby. And free newspapers are outside the elevator every morning.

If you get bored while at the hotel the Crystal Cathedral is just down the street. We took a free tour of it the day we left and stood there in awe of the beauty of it. Its worth the walk, only a couple blocks, to see this archectectural wonder.

As far as the Disneyland shuttle we weren't bothered by the whole reservation thing. Its an organized way to run a business and the shuttle bus is an average sized hotel shuttle. The driver "Magic" was a great driver and made sure everyone had reservations to come back to the hotel in the evening and if not, he handed out business cards to call the hotel or offered to sign people up for the night shuttle right there.

The staff was very nice to us the whole time we were there. They even called a cab for us so we could get to our train. They go above and beyond the service of other hotels, they really make it a personal experience and the Ayres has a great history behind it-its family owned and operated from what I understand. We liked it so much we didn't want to check out lol and we will DEFINITELY return to Ayres Inn again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Pirates4ever
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I am a Canadian working in the California area temporarily and recently had a three day stay in Orange, California. I work on the road and stay in an abundance of hotels so have a good idea of what different hotels have to offer. I would have to say my stay in this hotel was my worst experience ever!! It started out with having to pay for high speed internet!! $7.95 a night... I have had a hotel room in San Diego for 65 night so far and if I had to pay for high speed internet it would be an extra cost of $500.00!! This is just plain old gouging!! I have never seen that cost in the last five years anywhere. A bottle of water in the room was around $5.00!! My cell phone died and I used the hotel phone to make a long distance call that cost me $117.00 for 45 min... That may have been my mistake as I never checked the rates... but I was overly suprised to see it that high now adays with VOIP etc... After I checked out I was also charged an extra night that they are saying they will take off!! Everything just leads to me that they gouge for anything they can!! Maybe this is a trait of being so close to DisneyLand... This hotel also does not make my list of a place ever to stay again because it does not offer any point packages... They would never want to give you anything back because they are to busy gouging you!! I urge people not to stay at this hotel and maybe all or Ayers hotel Group!! Look for a Holiday Inn as they are consistanly the best performers!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank smaron345
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We checked into the hotel on June 27, 2006 for two nights.
The hotel is tricky to get to coming from Disneyland. You can not turn into it and the closest light you can not make a U-turn. We had to go to another street and make a U-turn then go back to the hotel.
The hotel is located next to a busy street on one side and a small shopping center on the other. They gave us a parking pass to park in the lot. Next to the hotel was a Best Buy, Wendy's, Starbucks, Quizno's and other little businesses.
We got there at 10pm to check in. The guy was really nice and smiled the whole time. The security guard came on duty at that time. The hotel is more on the European style so be ready for it. I checked in and had to haul my own luggage on the luggage carts.
The elevator is small. It had enough space to fit the cart and three of us on the elevator. We checked into room 210.
The room was nice and it overlooked the gardens. There is no closet in the room, but there is an armoire where you can hang your clothes.
The room has a refrigerator, two queen beds, a table, an armoire where the TV and clothes fit, ironing board, coffeemaker, blow dryer and little items in case you forgot (shampoo, lotion, mouthwash, etc.).
The one thing I did not like was that the vanity was in the bathroom. So you can not blow dry your hair or use the sink if someone else was in the bathroom.
In the morning they closed the cafe to outsiders and set up the food “buffet style” for hotel guests. The first day there was eggs, hash, potatoes, fruit, juice, milk, coffee, toast, cereal and bagels. The second day they replaced the hash with sausage links and pancakes. The food was ok, nothing to brag about, but it was included in the hotel stay.
We did not use the pool, but we did notice that it is not enclosed within the hotel. You need to walk towards the back of the hotel where there are no rooms.
They do have a shuttle to Disneyland but we opted not to use it because you need to make a reservation and we were not sure what time we were going to leave and come back. Plus there is enough space for 10 people and in the middle of the day it does not run.
I might stay here again because it was a good value for your money and the hotel staff was really nice.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank del3ose
Reviewed May 27, 2006

We came to Anaheim to visit Disneyland in May 2006 and we booked the Ayess Inn based on good reviews from Trip Advisor and Yahoo Travel. The outside was nice, but the parking lot is not very secure. Right next to a Wendy's and Best Buy. The front desk forgot to tell us that we needed a parking pass to avoid being towed. Thank goodness my husband was worried and went back down to ask again.
The first clue that the place was small should have been the elevator - tiny! Four of us and our baggage barely fit. Our room had two queen beds and some oddly fitting furniture. No closet - a big armoire right when you walk in though with hangers in it. The ironing board and iron were right behind the door, but no electrical outlet. I had to put it next to one of the beds to iron clothes. The bathroom was also really small. However, everything was clean, which was great. The shower flow was also nice and strong, which is a huge deal to me.
The buffet breakfast was ok - we enjoyed the fruit every morning.
We were going to take a break from Disneyland in the middle of the week, but the room was so small and the pool was dirty and gross, so we decided to just keep trudging away at the park and leave for home a day early.
We stayed at the Radisson last time we came, and we will definitely look there for next time. The room at the Radisson was a lot bigger, with a sitting area to relax in, and the pool was nice and clean.

1  Thank Oregon45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
#1 of 15 in Orange
Best Western Plus Meridian Inn & Suites, Anaheim-Orange
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
#4 of 119 in Anaheim

Been to ALO Hotel? Share your experiences!