“Very nice people” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California, United States
“Very nice people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Somehow my reservation was made for the wrong date. Shame on me for not carefully reviewing my email confirmation as I should have. Once I learned of the mistake, I immediately called the hotel and left a message for a manager to return my call. Sandra Zuno called and was extremely warm and friendly. After a brief explanation of my mistake, without hesitation, Sandra agreed to change the date and not charge me for our "no show". Per the terms of the reservation, she could have charged me the full room rate but it is clear to me that she understands that building good customer relationships is sometimes more important. Based on how I was treated, Ayres Inn will always be my first choice when visiting my daughter at Chapman University.

Our room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My review would have been excellent had it not been for the disappointing breakfast. For the quality of this hotel, I expected a bit more - orange juice perhaps.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
csmith_9, General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and complimenting Sandra, My Assistant General Manager. We all strive to meet and exceed our guest needs and are happy to know we did so fo ryou. We look forward to seeing you during the next couple of years when you viist your child at Chapman University.

Christine Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

During our past few times we've stayed "near Disneyland", I've always been awarded the Doubletree in Orange. I've always seen this hotel from the towering Doubletree. The trouble with Priceline bidding, I may get a good deal in paying for the night's stay BUT, the amenities (such as internet access and parking) is not always disclosed (unless you use the Express Deal), or in this case, I used Hotwire. As much as I enjoyed staying at the Doubletree, the parking fee is an additional of $20 (if not more). So this time around, I used Hotwire, and made sure I chose a hotel with free parking, internet, and breakfast...and I got Ayres Inn for around $70 (before tax/fees)....it came to around $82.50/night.

My family was greeted by Amy at the Front Desk, and she was extremely pleasant. The rooms were clean. The hotel was also an easy access from either the 5 Fwy or the 57 Fwy. We truly just needed to a place to "sleep". We had a late check-in of around 9pm, and had to leave the hotel by 6am - so yes, just sleep/shower is all we needed. It is also conveniently located next to Wendy's, Starbucks, and a few others, just walking distance.

About the free buffet breakfast (which starts at 6:30am), my only disappointment was we couldn't take advantage of it. We had to leave and check out by 6am. I did ask the front desk if there was any items we could take with us (bananas, apples, cereal - things that didn't have to be cooked), but they were strictly not opened until 6:30am.

The only reason why I gave it a VERY GOOD rating is because of breakfast inaccessbility before 6:30am. Other hotels were flexible enough to at least give us access to "whatever" was available during the time that I had to leave the hotel. I wasn't expecting the full buffet breakfast to be ready (although you would think that at 6am - some of the major items would have already been ready). I think I'm not the only traveler who has to leave very early (so this happens to a lot of people as well).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
I wanted to let you know that we appreciated your review and comments and especially noting our complimentary breakfast, internet and parking. I am sorry that breakfast is not open prior to 6:30 am when you needed to leave the hotel and also understand that other guests sleep in past the closing time of breakfast and also miss out. The time set meets 99% of our guest's needs but I am instructing the desk that if we have individuals between 6 am - 6:30 am who want to grab a bagel and juice to help them get into the Cafe which is locked until 6:30am.
Again thank you!

Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Ayres Inn for our 6 nights. We had connecting rooms on the third floor which was really handy while travelling with 4 "kids" aged 13 - 20. The rooms were a a great value through Priceline ($80) and included a decent buffet for breakfast each morning (scrambled eggs, bacon or sausages (alternating days), fresh cut up fruit, hash browns, bagels, cereal, coffee, orange juice and tea) We had a view of the fireworks over top of the Best Buy sign. Connecting rooms are only available on the third floor.

The staff were friendly and even accommodated my grocery delivery on arrival day as well as my numerous packages that I had shipped to Ayres for my impending arrival :) We are from Canada so shipping to home is very expensive. I bought a few things online and had them shipped right to Ayres.

The cleaning staff were great. Our maid did a wonderful job tidying up the rooms and even left the stuffed animals in cute positions to entertain the girls. I left her a nice tip which she deserved.

The location is quite a ways away from Disneyland (not walking distance) but the pluses definitely make up for the distance. Ayres provides free parking and although the transit seemed handy we chose to park at Disneyland so we could come back and forth during the day when we pleased. Parking was well lit and felt safe. The Block at Orange was handy for eating and shopping options. Having Starbucks beside us was convenient for the morning we slept too late and missed the buffet. There is also a Wendys next door, although we didn't eat there. It was also handy to have a fridge in our room to keep our water etc. cold. There is tons of storage shelves for snacks etc. too.

You do hear sirens but like the other poster said, they did not wake us up during the night.

We will stay there again next time if the price is still this great and it includes free parking and breakfast. Thanks Ayres! You're doing everything right!

Room Tip: Facing Best Buy is probably quieter and you will be able to see the fireworks.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lizzzys
Sandra Z, Assistant General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are very happy to read your family really enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We appreciate you highlighting the great service we provided you, the cleanliness of our rooms and our close proximity to many shops and restaurants. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights recently as part of a family Disney trip. Booked this Ayres location based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor, and the good price.
Pros - Convenient for local transit to Disney ($5 per day per adult, $2 for kids under 10 years old), breakfast, parking, internet included. Also, walking distance to the Block At Orange Mall, which is good. The staff were always helpful and friendly, and the rooms were very clean. Starbucks right next door and a Vons 2 minutes away by car.
Cons - Rooms are tight, especially if you use the pull out couch. The pool and deck is almost always in the shade. The rooms are clean but not very nicely finished (in my opinion). Internet service was sporadic most of the time. The breakfast was as basic as a buffet could be. Most of the food appeared to be fairly low quality, and using styrofoam plates didn't help. If you wanted something of a higher quality you could go to Starbucks (we did on a couple of days). The advertised gym facility is pretty much useless. Only one small microwave in the entire hotel and two ice machines in total.
Overall, yes this hotel does work for if you want a decent price and location for Disney. However, this hotel is not memorable and lacks in some of the basic amenities which you'd expect from a property with such high ratings. If this is the top rated hotel in the Orange area, I'd hate to think what the lower ranked hotels would be like!

Room Tip: Starbucks and Wendys right beside the hotel. Walk over to the Block for more eating options and some...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
csmith_9, General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you Guest for taking time to do a review of the hotel. I appreciate your comments and would like to let you know that we only use styrofoam plates when our in-house guest numbers top 325 - 350 guests which happens occasionally during the busy summer Disneyland season. The breafast buffet is temporarily set up in a meeting room as we will beginning renovation on the adjacent Cafe and then the meeting space. Again, thank you for your review.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We just spent five nights at the Ayres Inn Orange for the first time during our Disneyland vacation last week (August 2013). We stayed on the top floor, facing Disneyland. We could see the fireworks on the horizon and make out the Tower of Terror, as well. We had one issue with the room and the moment we reported it to Christine, she listened intently and immediately took care of the problem. The staff was excellent in its response. They thanked us for bringing the issue to their attention.

We heard sirens a couple of times (the medical center across the street) but were never woken up by them at night. We were not located near the construction to the north of the property and never heard noises, even during our mid-day naps in the room. Our room overlooked a Best Buy parking lot, a Wendy's, and beyond Wendy's, a Starbucks. Going west on Chapman, you'll come to a Von's on the north side of the road, great for groceries or you can continue west to Harbor and on your left is a Target. Our room had a fridge and a coffee maker.

The best part of the hotel is the staff. From Luis taking care of the dining room during the excellent hot breakfast buffet to all the front counter staff to the EXCELLENT cleaning crew, we had absolutely no issues. Our room was always sparkling clean. Kudos to the cleaning crew!

If you're going to the Disneyland resort, and using the ART transit buses, you'll be on route #14. The bus departs the resort on the top and bottom of the hour and the last trip of the day leaving the resort is half hour after closing time. The route goes from Disneyland to Hilton Suites to Ayres Inn Orange and then back to Disneyland. It's a timed route and the drivers strive to stay on schedule. It was heaven not to use the parking garage and tram or have to walk back and forth to a hotel on Harbor after a long day at the parks. Having the convenient shuttle helped us take a mid-day break each day, that's for sure. We weren't dreading a long walk to a hotel and then back again, not to mention walking over initially in the morning and again last thing at night. Totally spoiled by ART now!

The lobby always has chilled lemon water, hot water (for tea and hot chocolate), and coffee available. In the afternoon, there are cookies.

Unless things change, we will be using this hotel exclusively for our Disneyland trips from now on. We were that impressed. We have stayed in multiple hotels around the area, so we speak from experience.

We are very much looking forward to our anniversary trip to Ayres Inn Orange this coming November. Thanks again, Christine and staff, for giving us a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We liked being on the "Best Buy" side of the hotel (I think it is the west side). The 6th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AyresHotels, General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Chocophile73,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a thorough and kind review of your experience at our hotel. We are so ecstatic to see that you and your family enjoyed your Disneyland vacation and thought that the ART shuttle was especially convenient. Thank you very much for your compliments about the service, they are truly appreciated. We cannot wait to see you in the near future for your Anniversary trip in November. Thank you again!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here while a family member had surgery at UCI Medical Center. It was so convenient to hospital. We were able to walk back and forth to hospital multiple times a day. The hotel was almost closer than the parking lot for the hospital. We saved on parking and with a free FULL breakfast it was a great place! Could hear the Disney fireworks but could not see them from our room. The restaurant Anepulco is wonderful. One of the best hotel restaurants we have ever experienced, (we are restaurant owners as well). Great value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mammasue1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your experience at our hotel. We are so glad we were able to accommodate you during your family member's surgery across the street at UCI. Your compliments about the great value of our complimentary full American breakfast buffet and parking are greatly appreciated. We are also so glad to see that as restaurant owners, you enjoyed our on-site restaurant Anepalco's. Thank you again for the compliments. We hope to see you again in the near future, under better circumstances of course.

Vail, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Reasonable prices and clean with friendly staff. The morning breakfast was a nice touch. Front desk friendly and helpful with directions to nearby places. I would stay at this motel anytime I will be in the area.

Room Tip: even first floor is great
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
#1 of 15 in Orange
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
#4 of 118 in Anaheim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,071 reviews

Been to ALO Hotel? Share your experiences!