“I will be back.”

ALO Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 14, 2011

The front desk guy's and gals were excellent all week. The breakfast was a nice start to the day, sure the eggs were runny once in a while but everything else was great and there was a great variety of things to eat. Pool area was great , hottub was a little small but nice and warm and clean. Shuttle took a little planning but was a lot better than taking the car and worrying about parking. Lobby was warm and inviting and super clean. Rooms were nice , simple but worked great. T.V's a bit dated , a little low on shower pressure ( but to conserve water i will take it any day). Bed's were comfy and the wife slept like a baby.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for ALO Hotel

Reviewed May 10, 2011

I went here last March on another vacation with friends to visit attractions and just relax. We normally stay at the Doubletree, but my friends want to go cheap -_- UGHHH i hate them for it. The walls were super thin and it definitely smelled old. I couldn't get a good night's sleep on any of the four nights. Pillows and beds were uncomfortable. Really loud surroundings.

I just recently tried the other Ayres in Anaheim, since my coworker said it was okay there and it turns out, the hotel has a few of the same problems as well. I give up on Ayres as a whole! Never again!

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank gamblnGRL
csmith_9, General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

I was quite surprised to read your review about uncomfortable beds and pillow. The Ayres Dream Sleeper mattresses are specially made for the Ayres Hotel Collection and the down pillows we provide are also of a very high quality. We consistently receive comments from guests as to what a "great night's sleep" they got at the Hotel. The Ayres Inn Anaheim also receives those same comments as do all our Ayres Hotels, to the extent we now sell our mattresses to guests becasue of the huge demand. A good night's sleep is very important to us all to be able to have a productive day. I would suggest that when you stay at hotel's and do not get a good night's sleep the first night, to ask to try out other mattresses in other rooms of the hotel and select a room with a matressess that is more to your liking.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and modern. The breakfast buffet was great, much better than the usual fare offered at other chain hotels. In addition, the restaurant is a very good dinner choice, with many delicious selections on the menu. The dinner hour is very quiet though; few guests taking advantage of this convenient restaurant. Service was great.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank reisertraveler
csmith_9, General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind review! We especially appreciate hearing that you enjoyed our breakfast; and hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights to go to the Disney Parks and found the hotel to be slightly above average. I paid $79 a night which is a great deal when you consider you get parking, free internet and a adequate breakfast. Location is about 5 minutes from Disney parking (we drove ourselves instead of taking free shuttle) and right off the highway. You can hear hallway noise from your room and an occasional ambulance outside since hotel is across from a hospital. Room was nicely furnished for this level hotel and staff were helpful when asked. All in all you can't beat this place for the money if you are just using it sleep.

Room Tip: No first floor rooms - to much traffic
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know that you appreciate the value of the Hotel. With so many Hotels near Disneyland charging much more that the Ayres Inn Orange does, it is nice to hear that we can provide value and good service for a very reasonable price.

Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed at the Ayres in for our trip to disney land on 4/16 thru 4/20. Upon arrival the gentleman at the front desk was very unfriendly. I asked him about the shuttle to Disney and he gave me a piece of paper and told me to call that number. The next night I sent my husband to the front desk to get some extra pillows because our pillows were extremely flat. The man at the desk gave him 2 pillows with no pillow cases on them. When asked where are the pillow cases he replied thats how we give them to people when they want extra. When my husband came back to the room I was not happy. I stormed to the front desk and demanded his supervisor. I explained to him that this is extremely unsanitary. You can not expect us to sleep on pillows with no case and then give them to someone else later. He then apologized and begged me not to tell his supervisor. Breakfast was horrible. Coffee tastes like crap. The chef stares at you from a little window looking very stern and mean. Not a smile from him whatsoever. But hey it was free! I guess you cannot expect much more from free breakfast. The shuttle was a nightmare. I was first told you do not have to make a reservation. Then I was told you do. so I tried to make a reservation was told 10pm was full no 10:30pm shuttle so I made for 11pm. I was done at disney at 10pm so we waited and figured we would be waiting till 11pm. but there came the shuttle at 10:30pm so we took that one. The shuttle was dirty and cold stains on the seat very small. We asked staff for directions to universal and other places. No help very unfriendly. The only employee who I felt went the extra mile was a man named Luis. The others were very disheveled as well. I also had asked for a 2 queen bed but got one king and pull out couch (very uncomfortable) Would not stay at this hotel again. I only stayed at this hotel because it was one star up from our normal Ramada main gate hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 32999Jdisney

Thank you very much for posting your comments regarding your stay. I would like to apologize for the pillow incident as this is not acceptable for the Ayres Inn Orange nor any Hotel with a good reputation for service and cleanliness. I have changed the procedure as to how extra pillows are delivered to the desk from Housekeeping and have made sure all personnel know that all pillows are to have pillowcases, period. I do have one front desk employee who at times appears disheveled, he works the audit shift and is disabled. Due to his disability it is difficult for him to keep his clothes perfectly straight at all times; all other employees during your stay were in their uniforms and looked professional. The Front Desk staff have all been here a long time and it is very hard for me to believe that any one of them would ask you "not to tell his supervisor"; but you did state that you "stormed' to the desk which may have intimidated him into thinking his job was in jeopardy. I will be using your letter at our Front Desk meeting this week as an example of how our normal high standard of guest service completely fell apart; and how their interactions with you could have been handled better. I was on property 2 1/2 days of your stay and I would have hoped you would ask to speak to me, the General Manager, about the difficulties you were experiencing. My Hotel staff works very hard, and I know that once in a great while errors are made. Errors can be corrected quickly if brought to the attention of management in a timely manner.

Respectfully,

Reviewed April 18, 2011

We booked this hotel for a Saturday night because our timeshare started on Sunday. We couldn't have been happier with our decision to stay here. The front desk staff was courteous and EXTREMELY helpful! We found the room to be clean, comfortable, and quiet (we were on the side facing the Wendy's), and the kids took a quick swim in the heated pool, which was very nice. We didn't take the free shuttle to/from Disney, so I can't comment on that. But we did take it to our timeshare the next day. The driver (I believe his name was Jose) was extremely nice and helpful! He was able to drop us off at our timeshare, since it was on the way to Disneyland. We had to make a reservation for the shuttle at the front desk.
Breakfast buffet was great! Much better than we were expecting! Scrambled eggs, bacon, salsa, shreaded cheese, pancakes w/syrup and butter, deliciously seasoned potatoes, cold cereals, milk, orange juice, fresh fruit, REALLY good coffe cake, bread, bagels, coffee and a selection of teas (including herbal teas)!!!! We got there early to beat the rush. I read the review posted before mine, and have to say that the eggs were delicious and cooked perfectly when we got there, but as it got busier, I noticed the fresh eggs they brought out were a bit runny, so I didn't eat them. None of us got sick from the food, and my kids enjoyed being able to eat whatever they wanted, especially the bacon! Yum!
The only things I didn't like were that the curtins didn't completely close (stayed open about an inch or two), the shower had zERO water pressure (it took forever to get the shampoo out of my hair), and when we got to the room, I noticed that someone had already opened the bottle of water they will charge you $4 for if you drink, so I immediately took it to the front desk and told them I didn't want to be charged for it since I didn't open it. A few days later I checked my credit card history only to find I had been charged the $4 for the water. I called the hotel and they removed the charge, but I should not have been charged in the first place.
I would DEFINITELY recommend staying here!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2011

From a cheesy microwaved breakfast with uncooked eggs, my family got sick during our four days at Disneyland. We basically missed two days at the park. Then, they are listed with Get-away-today-vacations as having a shuttle to Disneyland. That's a lie. Unlike most of the hotels which has a bus or shuttle running all day in 15 or 30 minute increments, you must take a shuttle from 7-11 am and then not til 6 to 11 at night. My daughter got sick at Disneyland and we had to pay a 20.00 fee for a taxi back to our hotel a few miles away. Finally, when there was some error regarding the length of stay, I paid another 129.00 to get our stuff out and spend another night. The hotel is old and has very bad ventilation which may help get people sick faster. The only thing I think I liked was the shuttle drivers. They were always happy and professional.
Get-away-today, you would be doing your customers a lot of good by dropping them from your catalog. Btw, it is located near the hospital, get use to the sirens all night.

Room Tip: Stay at a Best Western
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Snowbird707
csmith_9, General Manager at ALO Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2011

Dear Guest
I was extremely surprised to read your comments on Trip Advisor and would like to address each of your concerns. The room you booked through Getaway Today, a 3rd party vendor, was for 4 nights with the 4th night being "free." The voucher you presented to the Hotel was for check-in on March 27th and check-out on March 31st. When you did not check-out on the 31st and we saw that you were at Disneyland per the shuttle schedule, we contacted Getaway Today to make sure there was not an error on the part of the Hotel. Getaway Today stated that you had booked the 4 night special (4th night free); and paid for the 4 night package. When you returned to the Hotel this was explained to you and we then had to ask for payment for the 5th night.
The shuttle hours are from 7 am - 11 am and from 5 pm to 1/2 hour after closing of the park; not the hours you stated. Should you have called the Hotel requesting a mid-day shuttle for a sick child, your request would have been immediately accommodated. I often drive the shuttle mid-day for such requests. Taxi fares are normally $12, but if you contact me I would be happy to reimburse you for the $20 you spent to get back to the Hotel.
Concerning breakfast, I am sorry you felt you became ill due to the breakfast. I do have to say that we served between 300 and 400 persons per day during the time period you were at the Hotel and no one else reported any ill effects from the breakfast. Had you reported your illness to Management we would have immediately checked the kitchen and food; but again, no other guests reported any illness. Our eggs are fresh whole eggs cooked on a grill, not microwaved eggs.
I am very sorry your vacation was not what you had hoped for; I wish you had contacted me during your stay so I could have stepped in and help you immediately resolve your issues. The Hotel did try to contact you but the phone number we had was disconnected. We asked Getaway Today to contact you to answer questions you may have regarding your booking with them; but they had the same phone as we did.

Respectfully,

Christine Smith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
#1 of 15 in Orange
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
#5 of 118 in Anaheim
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - Orange

Been to ALO Hotel? Share your experiences!