“My second visit...”

Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Ontario
Monterey
“My second visit...”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Came back with my son on a weeknd to attend a college event at U of Redlands. This was a somewhat better stay than the first, but I have some good and bad points. Postitive notes were the room was clean, updated and on the 3rd floor (best location and freeway noise was minimal). Breakfast was ok...your standard fare - nothing fancy (cereals, breakfast breads, fruit, coffee, juice, make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage). Front Desk reception was nice, VERY helpful with needs and pleasant.
On a negative note, air conditioner in the room was noisy and room smelled like popcorn when we arrived (not really a big deal). However, I somewhat did not feel safe at that property. When my son and I walked back from a local restaurant across the parking lot (around 9:30pm), some kids were lighting off firecrackers in the parking lot and running away, a female (sort of "shady" looking) was hanging around the entrance and outside the elevators. On the 3rd floor, near the elevator there is a small outdoor sitting area which we had to pass to get to our guestroom. Guests had open cases of beer, smoking and some others had brought their own cocktails...kinda made me feel uncomfortable which made me think there was going to be a noise issue. Thank goodness there wasn't. When I asked the Front Desk agent if there was any security personnel on property, she said there wasn't. Not a good feeling... Glad we were there for only a short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location and away from the freeway (preferably on the 3rd floor).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Irmama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Santee, California
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We reserved and paid for a room and it was confirmed through Expedia. We arrived at the Hotel at about 11:45 PM and after driving hours couldn't wait to get in the room and get some sleep! We unpacked the car and proceeded inside to the front desk where there was one family check-in ahead of us. I over heard the desk clerk tell them that they unfortunately over booked and did not have a clean room available. Next was us! Same story no clean room available at 11:45PM at night and we had already paid and received confirmation for the room. They said they would refund the credit card payment the next day and call the Double Tree a few miles away for another room for us? I asked if it would be for the same price and they said they could not guarantee it. The second front desk clerk went to check the rooms and came back and said they were all dirty! The guests ahead of us left the Hotel and I demanded to talk with a manager. They handed me a business card of the manager with the same number of the hotel. I demanded again to speak with a manager but I was told she was probably asleep so I said I have no problems waking her up. Eventually I was able to talk to a manager and after a short heated conversation about me not paying any more for the double tree they wanted to send me to, and I demanded the Fairfield pay the difference, she instructed me to give the phone back to the front desk clerk. After a very short conversation ...ALLTHE SUDDEN I WAS TOLD THERE WAS A ROOM AVAILABLE FOR MY FAMILY???? They proceeded to check us in and we were given a nice room and all was OK!
MY QUESTION IS WHAT JUST HAPPENED? WE WENT FROM NO ROOM TO A ROOM ONLY AFTER A HUGE HASSTLE!

DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL....RIDICULIOUS! BAD AND BESARE PORCEEDURES!!!
Still don't know how they turned people away to within 10 minutes finding rooms for those that stayed? Expedia offered this room at a much lower rate than the Hotel itself so I am assuming they did not want to take the discounted rates and hope for more? Everything in the area was booked before we found Fairfield Inn?

Room Tip: 3RD floor only!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dave A
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Perfect business man special. Easy to get to, close to airport, efficient staff. Rooms are clean and basic, free breakfast that is just fine and ample parking. Every room opens to the outside, a bit noisy as it is close to the freeway. Priced perfectly at $79.00/nt.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Older hotel, I had to change rooms due to the noise from te
he old style air conditioner, but the staff dealt with it efficiently. No restuarants in the area unless you drive but they do offer free cab service from the airport which is really close. Freeway noise in early morning and the expected free breakfast fare that you expect. Nothing special but works for the overnight business traveller, but eat first

Room Tip: 3rd floor seems to work well
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ivins, Utah, USA
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was a little sceptical of the quality when I booked because it was so much cheaper that other Marriott properties in the area. I thought the nearby airport noise would be a problem as well. To my surprise, this was a great hotel and I couldn't hear any jet noise from the Ontario airport. They also had a great free breakfast. I did stay on the 3rd floor with is better than the first two with outside entrances.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have the opportunity to travel a great deal on business and pleasure. This past Saturday Night I stayed in Room #112, and I could hear every SEMI TRUCK, MOTORCYCLE and AUTOMOBILE on the freeway right next to the hotel ALL NIGHT LONG!!! These rooms have very poor insulation, and I am amazed at the other reviews. I challenge the Owner or Management to stay just one (1) night in Room #112. There are so many other nice hotels in the area NOT right next to Highway 10, which according to Wikipedia is "one of the busiest freeways in the world". I honestly want my money back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SBJohn
Pierre, South Dakota
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The room was nice and clean, but the AC was very loud and not very efficient, as it ran all night long. Requested a wake up call and did not get it. Asked about it when I checked out and they apoligized for forgetting about it. Staff was very nice during check in and check out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business