“A Last Minute Reservation - A Wonderful Surprise”

Sheraton Ontario Airport Hotel
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Ontario
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I booked this trip at the last minute (3 hours before check-in), using an Internet service (not Tripadvisor). My decision was the product of location, near I-10, and somewhat price (who doesn't like a sale?).

I had expected an unremarkable airport hotel, but I found something quite different.

The staff was unusually friendly (check-in, and preferred guest lounge). However, the true surprise was the restaurant. What initially appears to be a small and physically unremarkable hotel bar is actually a reasonably good restaurant.

I am normally leery of "airport hotel restaurants", but this restaurant was a surprise in terms of service and food quality. Execution of the Grilled Atlantic Salmon, with asparagus and squash, was a delight to the eye, and very tasty. Amazingly, with fewer than 10 other patrons (7:00 PM) everything tasted fresh, and the vegetables were cooked perfectly; al dente. Special commendation for my server "Amber" who was well informed about the menu, extremely attentive and energetic, but not bothersome.

The hotel appears to be about 20-30 years old, and has had some updating of public spaces. The elevators have been kept clean, but along with the bathrooms, are showing some age. Overall housekeeping was good, and the room linens were clean and in good condition. Sleep quality was excellent, as is typical for Sheraton (Starwood) bedding.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Alfonso T, General Manager at Sheraton Ontario Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a detailed review with us. We are continuously striving to provide more than just a great stay along with great services, but to actually provide a great experience. It brings great pride to me to know our staff was able to provide you with both of what we strive for; great services and a great experience. We definitely hope you plan on seeing us again soon.

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Staff are always friendly and helpful. As we are Starwood Platinum, we usually get a top floor room on the club level. Breakfast and evening snacks are hot and good. $4 glass of wine was brought up from the bar for me by the nicest staff member. Rooms are quiet. Shuttles to the terminals are quick. You can also leave your car in their parking lot if you register it with the front desk.

• Stayed: December 2013
Alfonso T, General Manager at Sheraton Ontario Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. You have highlighted a lot of our great amenities, it is a pleasure to see our guests enjoy everything we have to offer here. Thank you for being such a loyal member, not only to Starwood but to our property as well. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed in the Sheraton for business travel twice in 2013. It apparently underwent a renovation recently but the corridors make it look like the renovation is not quire complete. Rooms are decent - you're getting what you pay for. My A/C wasn't working when I traveled in August so they quickly moved me to a new room - the front desk staff is great. The breakfast buffet that is included in some rates can definitely be skipped. Overall a good place to stay for the super cheap price.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hotel could improve its evening dinner in its Club Level lounge as the food is too salty and is not too appetizing. The hotel's walls are pretty thin as I would suggest the hotel upgrade to become an A+ hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were flying out of the Ontario Airport and always stay the night before we fly out of Ont at the Sheraton. I tried several times to book thru SPG and it said they were full. All other outside websites had the hotel available. We stayed loyal to SPG and after returning from our trip, found out that we received no SPG credit for staying at their hotel due to booking on an outside site. SPG is punishing their customers. We could have stayed at another hotel at half the price(and honestly just as nice) but stayed there instead at literally double the price. SPG is driving their customers away. Bad Bad practice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our one night stay here was for a friend's wedding nearby at the Christmas House. The convenience of the complimentary shuttle to and from the venue was the deciding factor to book this hotel, we wanted to celebrate and when there's alcohol involved, leave the driving to the sober.

I had called twice to inquire about early check-in and late check-out (to allow us to settle in and take care of the dogs, before making our way to the wedding), I was not told about the early check-in fee (half of the room's rate). The front desk informed me of this fee and I replied that this fee was never mentioned during my 2 phone calls. The fee was $60 to check-in at 1:30 pm (instead of 3:00 pm), half of the room rate should have been $45, the room was $89; sorry but I wasn't about to pay 2/3 of the room rate just to get into our room 1.5 hours early. So we decided for a short detour to my hometown to pick up some lunch and donuts from the ever famous The Donut Man.

We arrived promptly at 3 pm, checked into the room and used the luggage cart to transport all of our gear to the Club Floor. Room was clean and spacious enough for 2 people and 2 pugs. The room was hot, 83 degrees F and the outside temp was around 73 and sunny. I immediately turned on the air conditioning to bring down the temperature of the room, however, it kept turning off after 60 seconds of blowing air (A/C unit is beneath the window). We had to no time to waste to prepare the dogs for our absence and to get ready for the wedding. However, before departing, we called the front desk to inform them that the A/C was not functioning, we also mentioned it to them down at the front desk, they assured us maintenance would be on their way. (We had no time to change rooms and the hotel didn't even offer this option.)

Shuttle to the venue was nice, a short 5 minute ride, our driver was one of the Front Desk employees, very polite.

We came back to our room, A/C was not on and the room temperature was 78 degrees, at midnight and the windows are non-opening; needless to say we were not pleased, but just too tired to complain. We're quite certain the hotel did not even send anyone to look at the broken thermostat as there was no communication of their attempted repair (phone message, written message, none). The room was stuffy and hot and by 6 am we called down to the front desk to inform them of the uncomfortable environment, they replied with an apology and a 20% discount towards the room rate.

We also requested a late check-out, 1 pm we were informed. We took the dogs out for one last bathroom break before loading up the car to depart, we came back to our room at 12:10, only to find that our hotel keys had been deactivated. I went down to the front desk to have both keys re-activated and confirmed the late check-out, they confirmed the late check-out was noted for our room and apologized for the deactivation before 1 pm.

Overall the hotel is conveniently located right off of the 10 Fwy and next to an In-N-Out and rates are inexpensive; if you are in need of a hotel that offers complimentary transportation to the Christmas House, this isn't a bad option but it's not the only option either. You have to be a pro-active guest, which is sort of a draw back when staying at a hotel and hospitality is their line of business.

So if your a Starwood member, book the Aloft instead, we stayed there for another wedding and enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StarrySue
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed overnight to catch an early AM flight. Had a few little hassles (alarm not plugged in and had to move it across room, no room service menu in room) which seemed bigger because we were tired and hungry, but no complaints about the room itself. Nothing special one way or the other. I think I might try another of the chains if I used the Ontario airport again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple