“Many little problems add up”

Ontario Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Ontario
Seattle, WA
“Many little problems add up”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Hilton Ontario Airport for one week. I booked the room with Priceline and got a very good price. I encountered many small problems that really added up to a negative stay.

Rooms: The hotel has three sections. There is the tower, that has floors 2-8, with regular rooms. The top 2 floors are their executive floors (not sure what term Hilton uses for them). The third section is on the first and second floor in a separate wing that extends from the lobby towards the interstate 10. The 1st floor rooms in that wing have patio doors that open out onto the area with the pool.

I have now been at this hotel 3 times. I suspect guests who book via priceline or other discount services tend to end up in the wing near the pool. Even though the hotel's web page says it has been newly remodeled, this wing has not been remodeled. It is scheduled to be re-done, but upon check-out they were painting the room doors and the maintenance man told me for now they were "just making the doors look nice." I have been in rooms in this wing twice, and once on the Executive Floor (not sure why they put me there, but it was nice with no major room problems at all).

There were many things wrong with the room, none of which should be the case in a 3 star Hilton. The room was old and dark and dated. One of the light fixtures in the bathroom did not work, the security latch on the flimsy door was broken, the towel rack in the bathroom was falling off the door and another off the wall, the toilet sometimes did not stop running, the TV had visible scratches and chips in the screen, and the data ports in the phones did not work. The drapery rods were frayed and the carpet was stained. There was no coffee maker. Worst of all, the patio door was broken and did not open.

There were no other rooms with a king-size bed available, so switching to another room was not an option (they have only king-size rooms and 2 double-bed rooms, all are non-smoking now).

After 4-5 calls to the front desk during my first 2 days there, maintenance did take care of the reparable issues and the maintenance staff was very friendly about it.

Housekeeping: During the week the housekeeper was fabulous and friendly, and did a very nice job of straightening and making the bed. On the weekend housekeeping was sloppy. A dirty towel was left on the floor inside the door, and a fancy bar of soap I had purchased at a local store was taken by her.

Front Desk: Upon arrival, they found no notation of my request for a king size bed which I had requested by phone when I confirmed the reservation with the hotel. While superficially friendly, I had to repeatedly go to or call the front desk to get the repairs made. The front desk supervisor was somewhat rude and was irritated when dealing with my complaints about the stolen bar of soap. At no point was the staff apologetic about the condition of the room, and I was treated like a 2nd-class guest. When I asked if they would allow me free use of the internet (usually $10.99 for 24 hours) they agreed and gave me 3 days free use, but the internet only worked intermittently, hardly an adequate compensation. They said they have been having problems with their internet service and it is unreliable. They did reiumburse me $5.00 for the bar of soap by crediting my account for 5 $1.00 local phone calls. The fee for local calls is not a new policy, but it is being newly enforced. They were not charging for local calls in December 2005.

Management: I left a voicemail for the hotel's new manager 3 days prior to check-out and asked that he return my call. He did not.

Hilton Guest Assistance: Several days after returning home, I filed a complaint with Hilton Guest Assistance via their 800 number. The agent was very helpful, took down detailed information, and sent the information to this hotel's manager. He was to reply within 3 business days, and if not I was to call Guest Assistance again. I called after 4 days and he had not responded to the complaint or these concerns at all. Hilton is issuing me a "Be My Guest" certificate good for a one-night stay at a Hilton Hotel as compensation. They would have refunded the cost of one night, but because this was a prepaid stay via priceline, they were not able to do that.

The bottom line is that if you end up with a room on the executive floors, chances are it will be a decent 3-star room. I recommend guests be very cautious about the rooms in the un-remodelled wing. This hotel's management also ought to do something about the attitude of front desk staff and how they treat guests. Management also needs to be more responsive to guest concerns and maintaining standards. I do not recommend this hotel until reviews are posted indicating that things have improved.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank danbearsea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

Stayed here 2 nights this past week. Called ahead to request a King non-smoking. Was told that we were assigned King smoking but that upon arrival we could request non-smoking. Only to learn that this is a non-smoking hotel.
We were able to check in early at about 1:00 and upon seeing our room, I figured out that "King Smoking" is their code word for "Bargain Room" in the back since we clearly got a sub-par room. The bellman called it the "cabana rooms" when he was helping with luggage. Hardly. And I'm not usually too picky. This was a 2* room at best. I actually think the bellman felt sorry for me. I got this for a good price, but would rather have paid more and had a better hotel.
No seal on the door, about 1/2 inch gap to the hallway and rattled every time someone closed a door nearby. Dark, depressing room and furnishings. Blow dryer in the closet (supposed to be mounted on the wall) that didn't work. TV made squeal upon arrival, called the desk and maintenance man came quickly, but said he'd have to call the satellite company. Never heard back, but a couple of hours later it got better.

Peeling and stained wallpaper, marked up paint, mold in shower, stained and frayed carpet in many places.
Had the breakfast buffet a couple of times while there, acceptable quality food, but pricey at $11.95. Pre-made omelettes, bacon, sausage, french toast. Bread and bagels for toasting yourself, fruit, oatmeal, cereal.
Front desk clerks grunted single-syllable responses, but the bell persons were all very friendly and helpful (dealt with 3 different ones during the stay) and appreciative of tips, not expectant.
There was no phone book or information anywhere in the room about local restaurants or activities. Only a room service menu.
Only have dial-up or wireless internet access. Dial-up (local call) is $1.00 for 60 minutes, then gets more expensive after that. Wireless is $10.95 per 24 hours.
Shuttle to the mall every 3 hours, or as requested when they are not busy.
I travel frequently for business, and I will never request a Hilton for business based on this experience. I would have been happier with a Holiday Inn Express or Courtyard Marriott for the $$.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2006

I was in Ontario for a business seminar. The room was large and the bed was ok as far as comfort goes. I was shocked by the condition of the bathroom. It was dirty and I could see evidence of the people that occupied the room before me. The mirrored closet door was broken and the vanity sink fixture was broken. I expected more from a Hilton.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2006

I was stay that when 27th and 31th Dec 2005 when I go to Palm Spings for vacation.

The best part is its breakfast, don't miss

It was good, if you ignore old structure and motel stule bath room. Anyway, at $99/night for a X'mas period, nothing to complain

Jacky Chen

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank Jchen0
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2005

Stayed in 901 a whirlpool suite. Room is large with ample space. Contained king bed,2nightstands,couch, chair w footrest, endtables, desk, mini fridge and mini bar sink & counter. Quite comfortable bed w down comforter and feather pillow which are heavenly!!! Room is clean and it has a patio which even miraculously made Ontario look good. The downside is the bathroom. The whirlpool which functioned properly is run-down. The surrounding mirrors are covered in hard water stains, the repairmen have smeared caulking up one side and down the other. They have neglected to clean or pull off the mold-covered caulking (a lovely view while relaxing in the tub). I would stay here again should the need arise. I know Hilton can do better. I have stayed in Las Vegas Hilton on the northern strip and been quite impressed. In ontario, I was somewhat let down. Overall: Clean. Room service promt and great food!

• Stayed November 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2005

The hotel is very convenient to the airport, about 5 minutes away. The rooms were par for the course for a Hilton with rather comfortable beds, nice bathroom, cable TV, and a bit of space. However, Hilton really skimped on the the fixtures the hotel. The doors looked to be made of plywood and were painted haphazardly, the toilet handle looked like it had cost 75 cents. The climate control in the room also left a lot to be desired: When I arrived, the in room thermostat said it was 55 degrees and it was several hours until I could take my coat off. The next evening, I came back after the housekeepers had been through to find the room 46 degrees, absolutely frigid. So be prepared for a chilly night. The room service was decent, but took over an hour to arrive despite the hotel being half-full. This hotel seemed more like a Hampton Inn than a Hilton--it's a decent enough place to spend the night for the rate, but don't come expecting Hilton-quality.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank archie110
Martinez, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2005

Attended a business meeting there. Stayed for 2 nights on Friday, Saturday, 10/21-10/22. Room rate was reasonable thru AARP.
Hotel undergoing a refurb in the lobby and restaurant area. Main complaint was the hotel hallway smell and in the rooms. Smelled of old cigarettes and mold. Rooms OK. Computer Chair back support was broken. Hotel charges $10/day for hi-speed Internet access. Food was good.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business