“Nice hotel, good price”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fortaleza, CE
“Nice hotel, good price”
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We paid about $100 (AARP) rate for a room with two queen beds. The hotel is immediately next to a slightly pricier and similarly-named Ayres Inn and Suites. We switched room due to street noise heard from the first one we got. The rooms were not quite as nice as those at the Ayres Suites next to the convention center (whose restaurant was open for dinner and not just for the free breakfast as was the case here), but slightly nicer than the Country Side Suites by the convention center. There are many Ayres-owned hotels in the area. The reason we picked this one this time was its proximity to the Ontario Mills Mall and Costco. There are a few fast food restaurants, a Hooter's and a Outback Steakhouse within walking distance. The restaurant, open for breakfast (included in the rate), was under staffed: there seemed to be just one person handling both taking of orders, cooking and bussing, and on the weekend we were there there was a large church group which overwhelemed the place. The second morning we were there we had to leave before breakfast started (7 a.m.,), but the staff let us in to have cereal and juice. The free PC for customer use was generally available. Room included a small area with a sink, refrigerator and coffee-maker. In addition to the aforementioned Ayres Inn & Suites, there is also a Hyatt just down the road, equally close to Ontario Mills Mall. There is a laundry room on each floor.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sutter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Calgary Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2009

My wife and I spent three nights here and were delighted with the cleanliness of the hotel and room, the staff were friendly and efficient, the location and the breakfast (cooked to order, not just some cold cereal and coffee as in some hotels)were excellent. The only negative comment we have relates to the particular room that we had. It was behind the front portico and over the automatic sliding front doors. Outside our window was a peaked roof which obscured our view of anything but it. The power operated front door was right under our room and the noise of it operating throughout the evening and night kept waking us up. Unfortunately the property was full and we couldn't change rooms so had to put up with it. So it's a good place to stay if you have a room other than that one.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nascarfan51
San Leandro, California
Reviewed January 23, 2009

The strong odor of cigarette smoke greeted when I first opened the door. I opened the window to air out the room. But after a few minutes, my eyes started stinging and I left to request another room.

The second room was okay. I had to reset the time on the clock radio. (They should upgrade the radios that autoset the time). The room was big. The King size bed was comfortable. I wasn't bothered by anything noisy outside. The bath towels were worn. One towel had a hole.

The carpets in the hallways were shabby and needs replacing.

The social hour snacks were goldfish crackers, pretzel mix, apples, carrot sticks, celery sticks, and ranch dip. Beverages were soda cans, beer cans, and wine. Cookies came later.

Outside the front entrance of the hotel were benches and ashcans for the convenience of smokers. There were a few smokers around entrance. The bad smoke smell made me regret choosing to stay in this hotel.

I liked the location of the hotel across from the Ontario Mills Mall and many restaurants and fast food places. Ayres runs another hotel next door. Maybe I'll try their Inn & Suites property on my next trip. Hopefully, it will be truly smoke-free hotel.

• Liked — Close to many malls, restaurants, movies, fast food, airport
  • Disliked — Smoking smell, shabby carpet,
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank zhen5
Rancho Palos Verdes
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights in February 2008.

The good:
-Extremely friendly, efficient front desk staff from beginning to end of our trip.

-Good location. Walking distance to Ontario Mills, and a short drive to dozens (hundreds?) of restaurants. Freeway close, but noise wasn't a problem at all. Lots of parking.

The bad:
-Rooms could have been cleaner. When we first got in, we found some gray hair on the pillows and sheets- the thing is that no one in our family has gray hair. Carpets need cleaning, as our socks got dirty from walking around in the hotel room.

-Bathtub jets weren't all working properly. The jetted bathtubs sure seem like a great concept, but in actuality wasn't anything special. Save yourself the extra $ and get a room with a regular tub.

On the fence:
- Breakfast. While a meal included with the stay is always a nice bonus, the food was merely adequate (and I am not a picky eater). They offered bacon, eggs, and pancakes one morning; sausage and hash browns another morning. Cold cereal, coffee, breads, and juices are also available. The small dining area was completely full both mornings, so we had to take our food back to the room. Breakfast staff was completely indifferent.

Summary:
I doubt that I'd stay here again, Though the location was nice for our needs, there seem to be several other hotels in the immediate area which may be suitable alternatives.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Tantor
Vacaville
Reviewed December 10, 2007

We were looking for a decent place that was centrally located that was AFFORDABLE. Didn't need to spend alot on lodging since we needed only 1 night of lodging. The clerk gave us info on the other mall which turned out to be good info. The next morning she asked if we had a good time. Great memory and good customer service.

GREAT and fast checkin and arrived late morning so that was a PLUS. Great location; walking distance to the Ontario Mills Mall but a hefty walk. They have shuttle which again a PLUS. There is a mall a few miles down the road- Victorian Gardens that is VERY nice with trendy shopping. BUT the Ontario Mills mall turned out to be WELL worth going to. They have Tillys, American Eagle, Againist All Odds (lots of young people stores) AND alot of nicer end stores which alot turned out to be OUTLET stores. Amazing prices but limited stock. Huge mall.

We were on the 3rd floor facing the street side which was not noisy at all. The beds are GREAT; some type of comfort type mattresses. Again, this was a PLUS.

Decor was clean and OKAY style but not modern, granite and trendy but it was clean which was all we wanted. Very large room for 2 people and I guess if you had the 2 queens it would still be comfortable in size. The reason why I point this out is because the WEBSITE shows a completely different photo of the rooms. It is the Old World look but NOT modern, a little dated but it was clean so that is what counted. The hotel lounge area is decorated in modern Old World decor, very cozy.

The breakfast on the weekends is hot buffet; scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, hash browns (sorry the hash browns were soggy not crunchy but that is not a big deal).
Self sersve- juices, milk, cofffee, hot oakmeal in crockpot, toasts with a few varieties of bread, cereal in the self serve containers, cut up melons. It was very decent for a morning starter. No reason to spend $40 on breakfast when you can spend it on a good lunch. We were told that during the week you can get cook to order breakfasts and manager's reception which would be really nice.

Yes, there is another property right next door: Ayres Inn and Suites)! It didn't look busy and was a little larger facility.
If we had to stay again we would stay at this resort again.

• Liked — Location, pricing, hot breakfast, GREAT BED
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SteffersVacaville
Forestville, California
Reviewed March 24, 2007

We spent 2 nites at the Ayres Suites Ontario at the Mills Mall--quite a hefty name (and not to be confused with its sister property right next door: Ayres Inn and Suites)! We've previously stayed at another closeby Ayres property, the Country Side Suites Ontario Airport; found it to be a very good experience and so when it was booked up for the days we needed on this trip, I reserved with the Ayres Suites, which is still just min's away from Ontario Airport.

All of our contacts with hotel staff (front desk, housekeeping, dining room servers, shuttle driver) were very positive as each person was friendly, helpful, prompt and truly seemed to be happy in their job position. The shuttle driver commented about what a great place the hotel was to work. One of the front desk staff checked us in on-line for our homeward bound flight and also printed out our boarding passes--at not charge.

Public areas and rooms were nicely appointed with Old World style furnishings. The lobby area was inviting and was a nice spot to just sit and talk or relax. Since we stayed during a weekend, we weren't able to sample their evening reception with refreshments, which is offered during weekdays. But we did enjoy some complimentary cookies in the evening! The patio courtyard area was lovely with lots of bright plantings, statuary, a fireplace and a fountain. We looked at the small exercise room and the pool, but didn't have time to use them.

We enjoyed the convenience of the complimentary hot breakfast--a basic affair with scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, pancakes (very good!), choice of simple muffins/pastries, dry cereal, juice and coffee, but it sure hit the spot and allowed us to quickly get something to eat before going out for the day.

Our room #6339 was loc'd on the 3rd floor. It had a king bed and the room was definitely "suite-like" and spacious, inc. a full-size sofa, coffee table, large desk (with Internet connection), big executive chair, TV (tho' not flat panel) in armoire, wetbar area with coffee maker, microwave and frig, and small dining table and 2 comfortable chairs. The bath area was a decent size and the shower had good water pressure.

Since the hotel is loc'd in an area close to the #10 frwy and to major surface streets, there was a constant drone of traffic, but it wasn't disruptive or annoying. However, I did wake up once each nite at the sound of a train's whistle. I'm a very light sleeper.

Only a couple of small complaints: lights in the room are fluorescent with low lumens, and so there really wasn't a way to read comfortably. It would have been helpful to have had a functional 3-way fixture on the bedstands. Also, the air conditioner under the window was an older wall unit which was fairly noisy, so we opted for having only the ceiling fan on during the nite, and that worked out OK.

For our AAA rate of $109 per nite, Ayres Suites represented an excellent deal, and would be an ideal place to stay for busy families or couples who want a spacious room, particulary during a longer stay, or for business people who need work space and Net access--and like the idea of hitting the exercise room before hitting the road! It's also loc'd just across the way from the gigantic Mills Mall, which inc's Rainforest Cafe, Market Broiler, Dave and Buster's and other cafes and restaurants, so you can grab something to eat whenever you wish. There are also limited room service items provided by a local pizzeria. Also, there's a great place to eat a short drive away: Rosa's Italian restaurant (425 N. Vineyard) where you can enjoy delicious fare in a comfortable, upscale environment. It's a great place that we've enjoyed eating at for over 20 yrs.

• Liked — Amenities and convenience (spacious rooms, great price, hot breakfast, close to airport and frwy access)
  • Disliked — Low wattage lighting (could not read comfortably)
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Forestvillian
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 28, 2007

I usually stay at the Sheraton in Ontario but they were booked as was every other place I could find. I booked this room begrudgenly as I have stayed at the Ayres in Riverside and wasnt impressed at all. I have to say I was very very impressed with the property.
The room was huge, the staff was friendly and everyting was spotless. There is a free breakfast with a 'chef' to make pancakes, eggs to order and omelets as well as waffles. Not the frozen eggs you get at some breakast bars but the real kind, I wont eat the other kind.
There is also a social hour with beer wine and healthy snack as well as the other kind.
My room had a wet bar with microwave, fridge and sink as well as a pull out sofabed and coffee table and a desk. The bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable, and I sleep on a Sleep Number bed at home so I am quite picky even though I travel weekly and end up on some pretty poor beds.
I have no idea where the train is.... I never once head it. I did have a room on the mall side so I am guessing that it is on the other side near the freeway which would make sense, but most of the hotels in the area are near the freeway so there really is no other choice.
There are THREE Aryes hotels in Ontario, one near the convention center and TWO side by side at the Mall. This one is nearest Miliken Ave, the other is to the east directly next door.
I am ironically holding a conference at the property near the convention center and while I have not seen the rooms the amenities through the rest of the hotel look similar.
While I have raved about the Sheraton in the past I think I will more than likely book this hotel in the future even though I get points with Starwood, simply for the free great breakfast, the free internet(Sheraton is $5/day) and the free beer after work.
I travel weekly for work and am not easily impressed but I am also very reasonable, this property is excellent in my humble opinion...

• Liked — Just a great, clean, amenity filled hotel for the money
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business