“A great one night stay at Magnuson”

Folk Inn Ontario Airport
Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Ontario
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel, which is near the Ontario airport, was a last minute booking after the end of a long cross country drive.

Based on the last minute pricetag, I was not expecting much; however, to my surprise, it was a wonderful place.

I found the best price on a third party site, and did have to sit in the lobby for about 10 minutes until the reservation came through to the system. Once it did, we were promptly checked in, and we were offered a room on the 1st or 2nd floor. There is no elevator; however, they were clear with that at check-in. We choose a 2nd floor.

The room was very nice and very comfortable. The beds were soft, the carpet was plush, everything was super clean, and it was in a quiet comfortable surrounding area with other hotels and businesses.

In the morning, you can opt for a cold free continental or a $5.00 hot and cold. The breakfast room is located in a nice area adjacent to the really nice pool area.

Overall, we had a great stay, and I would definitely stay here again, if I needed to stay in Ontario.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
MGB204, Guest Relations Manager at Folk Inn Ontario Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be aware that the hotel will be changing its name later this month to Red Lion Hotel Ontario Airport. We are very excited about this and hope that you will come back and visit us again

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The room was great. Check in was great.
The price was right.
I had a hard time figuring out how to get to the pool, it was clean and very nice once I did.
Breakfast was confusing. My reservation included breakfast, but when I got to the dining room there was a sign with various breakfast meals for for $5.00. There was a chef type person and another employee standing behind the service counter. One grunted and the other just stood there. I was looking at the menu, and was provided no help. Not up to any confrontation so early in the morning, I didn't order food, just fixed myself a waffle, got some coffee and orange juice. I did tell the individual in the chefs hat I was in room ###. At which point he looked at a typed list and made a notation. I left, still wondering what the hell breakfast was about. AT NO POINT DID ANY EMPLOYEE SAY A WORD.
Other than that a very good experience at the Magnuson.

Room Tip: No tips. I was on the ground floor and it was quiet. The hotel is surrounded by parking, so I don...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The staff at the Magnuson went above what was required to make my stay at their hotel comfortable. They were very well mannered, had all my information available upon check in - helped me with transportation and also left early on the morning I was checking out to get me to the airport in plenty of time for my flight. I would definitely stay at this establishment again, it was clean, comfortable, and well maintained (pool and hot tub) with clean towels for use while swimming or laying out. On my second day, the young lady working the front desk already remembered my name - they were very helpful with local information as I had never been there before.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had to board an early morning flight, so we looked on Trip Advisor for inexpensive accommodations. I had looked at a lot of "cheap" hotels but the reviews were terrible. For practically the same price, I reserved a room at Magnuson. The rooms are large and contain a small sitting area with sofa and table in addition to a small table/desk for writing or using the internet. I'm not sure why this hotel receives such mixed reviews, but I was very pleased with the facilities, the service and the fact that they let me use a computer in the lobby to print my boarding passes. The trip to the airport only took two minutes. I have another trip and already booked a room at the Magnuson again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have been visiting our son at pomona college for four years and just discovered this place near the airport. Big room, nice towels, fridge, and what looked to be a very nice free breakfast being set up as we left for our flight at 5:15am. From hotel to sitting at our gate took 16 minutes! Gotta love ontario airport. The staff picked us up at almost 11pm when we dropped off our rental car so leaving this morning was a breeze.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

It's hard for me to rate this hotel since I simply paid for my elderly parents who were going to stay here but they had a terrible time. I went to this hotel previously and got the information on how I was going to pay for them and followed the instructions to the letter(I even called them to make the reservation, since something was wrong with my parents doing it). When they got there the incompetent bell man was working the front desk while, the manager lady looked on and he completely bungled everything. The information wasn't taken correctly; he still needed their credit card although they had all, and I do mean ALL, of my information. He gave them a room near the laundry area, and when they complained the manager lady moved them to the area that was under construction. I reiterate, this was with reservations!!!! In a word Incompetent. and In 4 words, go to the doubletree. Which was next door. Or go somewhere else. Yea, everything was nice, but the key moment for them to shine was on arrival. What would have happened if my parents didn't have a credit card? Would they have been turned away even though they had my authorization, the necessary forms, AND ALL MY INFORMATION??!! Yep, no thanks. Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dave92376
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed here in the past when the hotel was an Ayres hotel (and I submitted a previous great review), and I was always pleasantly surprised by how nice it was for the price. This was my first visit after the change in ownership, and I can already see that things are subtly changing, and not for the better. The staff was not as friendly or helpful as on other trips; the people at the front desk just seemed bored and bothered. The complimentary hot breakfast of the past has been replaced by a $5 hot breakfast or a free continental breakfast, which now consists of hard boiled eggs and stale baked goods. When we ate breakfast this time, the dining room was dirty. Ick. And the property just didn't seem as well-maintained: carpets were not well vacuumed (and I'm a stickler for clean carpets), our room air conditioner rattled, and the place just seemed a little down-on-its-luck. I hope this is just a temporary slip, but I'm really afraid this is the beginning of a downhill slide.

2  Thank FussyGrl