“SVL was awesome!”
Review of Squaw Valley Lodge

Squaw Valley Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
Reviewed June 11, 2007

What can I say except perfect? We visited over spring break in 2007 and everything about the property was great. We stayed in a refurbished room and it was very nice. There were many convenient features and the room had a lot of perks. Fortunately the weather was warm and there was plenty of snow. Restaurants and shops in the village were very good. I've seen other reviews stating the hotel staff was rude and I can imagine they might be because most are college kids earning money during break. However, everyone we dealt with was polite and helped us with whatever we needed. It truly was a dream vacation and I highly recommend the SVL.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank FloridaGatorFan

Reviewed May 6, 2007

We just stayed in a two bedroom condo for one night.

The heat and hot water system in our condo was broken and we didn't realize it until the middle of the night. (Arrived late, place was very cold, we turned up the heat and went to bed.)

It was an extremely cold night with no hope for a warm shower the next day.

When we discussed it with the front desk the next morning, the service was shockingly rude. I travel a lot for work and leisure and I have never experienced such rude and immature service. According to the front desk, their hands are tied in terms of customer service because the condo's are owned by private owners.

I would strongly encourage people to look for other options in Squaw Valley if you are seeking a condo. I would check out Squaw Valley Village - the condo's are newer and much nicer - though a big smaller. (We looked at them as well since we are planning a large event up in Tahoe this summer.)

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank CABayAreaGirl
Reviewed January 1, 2007

We are from the Bay Area and frequent travelers to Tahoe. We even used to own a home in the area. Although there are lots of places to ski in Tahoe, Squaw is our favorite because it has a good amount of terrain for every abiity level.

Xmas in Tahoe is always iffy in terms of snow conditions and traffic. It can be hit or miss and this season we got both. We've never stayed at SVI but chose it because of it's convenient location and the hope that we would avoid the holiday traffic. We arrived on Xmas day to find no snow and the mountain was even closed entirely due to wind. Sooo....we hunkered down, went sledding and played board games. The next day the storm arrived and we had lots of fresh powder for the rest of the week.

This is an interesting concept for a vacation property. You have the concept of condo's with the facilities of a hotel. Our unit had a mini kitchen (no oven) and daily maid service. There's a large lobby, front desk, concierge, pool/hot tubs, message facilities, vending machines, tennis court (in summer) and game room.

I had to remind myself that these were not timeshares but indiviudally owned condos. Each unit is maintained, decorated and appointed differently. We went with another family and got to see the big differences between 2 seperate "loft suites". We peaked in to open doors and saw completely different models of condos. Some gave a great "homey" the appearance. Ours was clean and comfortable. Bathrooms were great.

The staff was friendly and personable but I do have to admit that they assume a different amount of autonomy because it is a condo rather than a hotel. The power went out in the entire valley.......totally out of their control........... and although they handed out light sticks for safety, there was no overt attempts to serve the needs of the guests. I just got the impression that the Inn at Squaw Creek or any higher star property, would handle the situation differently. We know the area well but any new to the area travelers were kind of stranded.

We are very familiar with the Village at SV and have to agree with the last poster. I don't think they have had the success that they had hoped for in attracting the quality and variety of restaurants, shops and nightlife. We had the image of other Intrawest locations (Whistler, Vail, etc.).It should have been a week at a "active" walking village.......... without the need to get into the car. But, the choices here are slim. It was not that crowded and they did not have the foot traffic on this major holiday week. We have also visited in the summer to a very quiet scene. Only time will tell how the village turns out.

The overall convenience to the ski area for this resort makes it worth it's weight in the winter!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank Msk6261
Reviewed December 31, 2006

This is a true Ski in-out property. You are right in quick walking distance to 4 lifts including the popular (expert) KT-22, the Gondola, the Cable Car, and the closest is the Squaw One Express (literally 20 yards from the back door of the main condo hallway). The condo property is overall very nice but a bit overpriced during the holiday season (aren't they all?), but as a married couple in our late 20's with no kids, we found Squaw valley not to have the nightlife we're used to at ski resorts. The village is small with only a handfull of restaurants. The full kitchen was nice to have for breakfast, and lunch breaks, but be aware that the closest grocery store you have to drive to. There is a small market in town, but is extremely limited. If you actually want to fix a meal, you have to hit an Albertson's as we did in Truckee. One night we had a bad snowstorm, and the power went out in the entire village, the staff at the lodge were great in handing out generous amounts of chemical lightsticks to get throught the night. Hot tubs were large, and the steam and sauna rooms were nice after a day on this mountain. Great overall stay, but our room smelled funny, and getting home from a day out always seemed less than "welcoming", this is probably just an issue with our unit, so don't take it as a major negative on the resort itself. This place is great for a relaxing getaway, or family stay, but the village itself is not geared toward the hard partying types.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dive2deep
Reviewed August 24, 2006

We stayed in a Loft suite with my 3 sons. The suite was very large, clean and well maintained. The location is ideal for hiking during summer and sking during winter. The beds were very comfortable.
We had mixed experience during our stay. We found the Front desk employees rude . They wanted to charge us extra based on a report from a maid of a dog sighting in our room. I informed them that the maid report is incorrect, since I have never owned a dog in my life. I did have two well mannered teenage boys with me, but no dog. I also offered them to check my SUV. The front office investigated and rescinded the dog charges, since they did not find any evidence of a dog in the room. However they still insisted that the maid report was correct. I found this very offensive. My son told me later that he saw a lady with a poodle in the elevator. Clearly the maid misidentified the room, but the front office was too arrogant to acknowledge maid's mistake.

The front office behavior ruined what was otherwise a good experience. I will not return. I will rate Customer Service as 2 and other categories as 4.

Stayed: August 2006
9  Thank Hiker1948
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Squaw Valley Lodge is the BEST place to stay if you're a serious (even if you're not so serious) skier! It's the only true ski-in/ski-out lodging at Squaw. Some of the rooms have recently re-modeled and they charge the same rate for them.

We stayed in unit #149 which was recently looks directly out onto KT-22!!! They call it a "Deluxe Studio," but the bedroom is nicely divided by sliding barn doors. The unit sleeps 4 comfortably, but is great for a couple. You won't be disappointed!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank Coolette
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Loved it! Great value! A wonderful summer adventure, great location! The entire area is breathtaking. You can walk to shops, restaurants and the cable car. Very convienent to Truckee River Rafting (a must-do). Our room was clean, the little kitchenette was great! We've stayed at plenty of 5star resorts that were not half as nice as this. The pool, hot tubs (3-inside and 1-outside), sauna and steam room were a fabulous treat at the end of the day. We loved the Tahoe City Kayak tour of Sand Harbor, very nice operation and beautiful scenery. The nearby restaurants at Squaw Village are all fine but if you are ready to skip some or the frou-frou and want a real meal like your best friend's grandmother makes head for the Pheifer House just north of Tahoe City on 89.

6  Thank Kathy Y
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Azure
Hotel Azure
#13 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to Squaw Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!