“Great Pre-Season Stay”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
Marina, California
“Great Pre-Season Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

GREAT for the pre-season.

A buddy and I crashed here this week for some pre-season skiing before the slopes got busy and found this place to be awesome. Since no-one shows up till Xmas, they have incredible deals though Central Reservations (ours was $110/night) for the regular Queen room, and it says "you may be eligible for a complimentary upgrade to a suite." We figured that was just a lure, but we arrived at 10am (long before the standard 3pm checkin) and they not only upgraded us for free, but let us check in early.

The room is loaded with amenities for a longer stay. TV, stereo (including tape decks!), dining table/chairs, pull-out coach, love seat, coffee table, bureau drawers, wireless internet, queen bed, ski rack, closet, big bathroom, central air (not the noisy window unit), and a full kitchen (burners, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, plates, silverware, bottle opener, glasses, blender, pots & pans etc - the works! - no stove). Although we didn't use them, we did see the gym, pool, sauna, and jacuzzi's.

Unlike other reviews, we experienced no unsavory smells, the "fancy" toiletries smelled good and didn't leave any slime. Overall, I was really happy. We were about a 3 minute walk to the Gold Coast cable car (and ticket sales) so it's not really ski-in/out, and there is no breakfast so this isn't a B&B.

On our checkout day, they let us check our bags into the bellboy room, ski all morning, and then go to the big gym locker room and cleanup before heading back to Monterey.

Overall - no complaints, although, not sure I would want to pay $300/night for holiday season.

• Liked — Pre-Season Value
  • Disliked — Normal Season Rates
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank weavermc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
SF - Bay Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

This lodge has a terrific location, ski-in/ski-out in Squaw Valley. We got a Studio located in building 1, facing the pool. We had a great vacation there, but it was somewhat offset by a very poor sound insulation between rooms. Our neighbours from the room above had a bunch of children and even if we could not hear them, the sound of their steps on the floor was killing us.
We definitely recommand this place, but make sure you are not on the second floor (third floor seemed the place to be).
Service was above average but not exceptional.
We will come back in the winter to enjoy the ski location.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — The sound insulation between rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TheBoubou
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

We stayed at Squaw Valley lodge at the end of March for 4 nights, in a suite booked through expedia, it was a great start to our trip. Great location on the side of the ski slopes, and in the resort. Very comfortable room, hottubs and gym on site, helpful staff, covered parking - you cant go wrong staying here!

• Liked — Location, Room size and quality
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stegrif
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

We booked our travel thru travelocity.com (air & hotel pkg deal) & had 3 couples in our group. We stayed in the loft suite. One sofa bed, one queen behind the entertainment center as a wall, and one queen at the upstairs loft. It fitted all of us pretty comfy however I would try to get the 2 bedrms next time for more privacy. It's great for a family tho....

Love the ski in/out !! our window had a great view of one the runs...our friends even saw us boarding down by accident!
We went during the wknd of Snow Festival with light show, fireworks, and concert by Gym Class Heroes. GREAT WEEKEND would defnitely stayed here again next time at Squaw :)

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank doreenie
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

I completely disagree with the reviewer tomona below. Squaw Valley Lodge is the best place to stay in the valley. I just returned from a trip and I had a great experience. I was exceptionally impressed by the good service and that's why I decided to write a review. I've stayed in the Village and I can say that the price at the lodge is a lot better, the units are much larger, and the location is very convenient. You can ski in/out for lunch, step out of the door and be at all the shops and restaurants in the "old village" area, and take a short-cut through the property to get to the "new village" area in a minute. The front desk staff at Squaw Valley Lodge is polite and knowledeable and they made my family's stay fun and comfortable even though the weather and slope conditions were not the best. They provided information to us on other activities in the area and made the whole travelling experience smooth for us. The hotel is lovely and has many hot tubs, a nice gym, a big sauna and steam room, and a common area for our kids to get out of the room. I've also booked through Squaw Valley Central Reservations three times now because they offer the best discounts on lift tickets anywhere (which is only $5 per day if you have kids under 12) and have discount deals on hotels. I booked our trip with a young man there and also talked with a couple of girls at different times that I called while gathering information. Everyone was friendly and knowledgeable in my experience and answered my questions about renting demo skis and getting my kids into ski school, and they explained the other hotels options to me clearly. Two years ago, I had to change my dates because my daughter got the flu before our trip. Even though we were supposed to come in three days, the staff at Squaw central reservations was able to convince the hotel to let us come at a later time with no penalties on the price. On this trip, the young man I spoke with was very helpful in finding me the type of room we really wanted even though there was no availability at the time for that size room. I had asked him to call me if the room became available and he did take the time to find out about a cancellation a couple of days later and got me upgraded into the place we wanted. Whenever I've booked a trip with this reservation agency, they always put all policies and cancellation policies in writing that you get clearly in an email when you reserve the trip. Squaw Valley Lodge also has a website that you can just go on to look at all types of rooms that they have and read about what the rooms come with, so there is no reason to not inform yourself of what you are getting. Their website helped me a lot in deciding where we would stay this year. I think that snow being on things is kind of a given at a ski area! Obviously the reviewer below didn't ask enough questions about the room when they booked or bother make themselves aware of the cancellation policies. They are lucky they could get a night for free though in Squaw Valley Lodge. I guess some people just like to complain. I will definitely go back to this hotel and recommend it to everyone!

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing. I wish I could stay more often
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sftraveltime
illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2008

Just returned from 5 days at svl. Booked through squaw valley central reservations . Big mistake.. Back in Nov we recieved a brochure in the mail from squaw .It was a Squaw Valley Vacation Planner which we assumed was the official Squaw valley .In the brochure they offered package deals book three nights get the fourth free.at svl. They also offered the new village at squaw for 100.00 more per person. When I booked the trip I asked for a room closest to the slopes and with a balcony. When we checked in our room was buried in snow covering up the windows completely. This was old snow that had been there all season..not a new dumping..When we asked to be moved they put us in a room facing the parking garage with a terrible view and had no balcony. When we asked about a room with a better view and balcony they informed us that the price would go up quite a bit so we then decided rather than pay extra for SVL room that we thought we were already getting we decided to upgrade to the new village which were way better units than SVL. I walked over to central reservations to see about moving and was greeted by a really young kid . I first asked if there was any rooms available in the new village and he told me that I should check with the new village themselves as they would be cheaper than what he could do. Well, when we booked this reservation we checked the new village web site and their price was higher than central reservations so that is why we booked thorough central reservations. Why would he tell me to go somewhere else? So then I asked to speak with the lady who I booked the trip with over the Phone previously. She came out and I asked her that we were unhappy with SVL and we would like to upgrade to the new village and she said,sure, let me check to see what was available. As she was checking this same young kid who was going to send me somewhere else opened his mouth and said that SVL would have a no cancel policy therefore we are stuck at SVL...Then the girl said she would talk to her boss (which she never did) and she would call me. She never did call, the young kid did and informed us we were indeed stuck at SVL and if we wanted a balcony that we would have to pay for it. We were givin a very nice room with the front lobby roof right in our face.. Oh well, we made the best of it and the mountain fortunately delivered and we had a great time but beware of staff that is un-informed about anything..We were very unhappy that the girl who we first made the booking abandoned us to a young kid who just charged us more for what we thought we were allready getting. Went to the front desk one morning and asked for a grooming sheet and they responded"what is that ? Could not find one anywhere around the resort. The problem with SVL is they have no good views but when coming down the mountain run you can ski right to the door which was worth giving up the higher open views that the new village units offer. SVL buildings look dated from the outside and the inside smelled like a ski lodge. The units were very clean though and once we finally got our balcony room it was very nice.. great shower and great bed... Blue Onion has great breakfast!!!! It was right next door.
We will never book through central reservations again because of their mis-leading policies on changes as we were told when booking that we were allowed to move and upgrade as long as it was available .

• Liked — ski right to your door
  • Disliked — views
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

Just returned from a week at the Squaw Valley Lodge. The hotel was in a great location- ski-in/ski-out, close to all the shops and restaurants in the Village. Our room and the other facilities around the property were extremely clean and well kept. We had a great price through an online package deal, and were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the hotel. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for slopeside lodging.

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness, Value
  • Disliked — Timing of housekeeping services
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,042 reviews

Been to Squaw Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!