“Wow, great room, great views!”

Resort at Squaw Creek
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We recently stayed at this resort for both a business and pleasure trip. We had one of the suites on the 7th floor with an amazing view of valley, ski area and golf course. The living room had a wonderful bay view type window, fireplace, comfy furniture and convenient kitchenette. The resort staff was friendly and provided good customer service. The pool and spa area are wonderful. If you can afford the price tag, this place is the best you will find in a mountain environment. A classy place for sure.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,009)

Reviewed September 17, 2010

My husband and I were in desperate need of a weekend getaway from San Francisco and wanted to go to North Lake Tahoe for relaxing couple of days before the birth of our baby. It was the labor day weekend and they had a good deal $250/night for a kings suite with valley view and brunch each morning. When we first got there, the service was terrible. The guy at the front desk was not amiable at all, seemed disinterested in providing service and was downright cold when I checked in. We were given a room on the 2nd floor that barely had any view (you had to peak over the rooftop in order to get a glimpse of the valley floor. I called down to the reception area right away and asked for a different room (one that really had a view - since that's what we were paying for). This other guy was extremely helpful and apologetic and when we went to the desk that same gentleman was helpful. The other guy, however, when he'd heard that we'd changed rooms was still just as cold and surprised to hear that we had switched. Needless to say, maybe it was just that one guy who was either having a bad day and taking it out on us... I have no idea. The room was nice.. comfortable.. roomy, it was a suite and on the 7th floor, it did have a view. Everything was clean and it had a kitchenett.. My only complaint was that the AC was terribly loud and kept us up for half the night. There was a lot to do on the grounds itself - nice pools/hottubs, activities for kids. Brunch was good (it was free or at least it came in the package), so that made it excellent and it was close to nearby activities... I wish that it was closer to the beach, but the beach was only a little drive away... Overall, we were satisfied with our stay once our reservation was fixed. Just glad the other guy was able to ameliorate the situation in a timely manner...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2010

A 4-5 star resort? Really?
I will start with the bottom line - don't bother staying at the Resort at Squaw Creek. It's just a waste of money and leaves a bad taste.
So here's my experience.

The good:
- Squaw valley is beautiful, winter or summer, and its proximity to lake tahoe (only 8 miles away) makes it a prime location.

The bad:
1. Room reservation: We asked for a room with one bed, queen or king size. Got a room with two queen beds crammed into it to the point where they couldn't even put nightstands on the sides.

2. Maintenance: As we walked into the room the door wasn't completely closed. Then we discovered that it won't close - there was a screw that protruded and kept it from shutting. Multiple people, from front desk folks to the concierge promised to get Engineering on it ASPA. 3 days (2 nights) later when we left, the door was still at the same shape. All they needed to do was send someone with a screwdriver.

3. Beds: Gosh - I don't know when they put the beds in, but they were so warn out and soft that neither of us could get a good night sleep and both woke up with sever back aches.

4. Billing: hotel rates aside, they nickel and dime you on everything you do. Wireless, parking, and accessing different area in the resort. And the worst part is that if you don't look out, they will automatically bill you for services you haven't asked for. I don't know why, but for the first time ever I decided to check out at the front desk. I am glad I did because it turned out that I was over billed for services we have never asked for.

And again, the bottom line is that I've stayed at two star hotels that were way better than this so-called 5-star resort. How sad.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OrieZaklad
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just recently stayed a week at this beautiful resort with my family. We were very pleased with the 'Valley View - Fireplace Suite,' and there was plenty to do during our summer stay. We enjoyed a ton of the activities such as: river rafting down the Truckee River, golfing at the Squaw Creek Course, hiking in Emerald Bay, Ice Skating in the outdoor rink at the top of Olympic Village, rope climbing at Squaw Village, swimming at the resort's pool, spa treatment, biking and half day trips to Heavenly and Incline Village. There is more than enough to do for a family with two kids under ten years old. With so much to do in the area, we found ourselves actually spending very little time in our room. I could only imagine that winters would be much different after a day of skiing.

My wife and I were able to take advantage of the spa for a couple of hours and left our kids with 'Mountain Buddies.' We made reservations a week in advance for Mountain Buddies, but somehow this was lost by the resort and we were forced to track down someone in the morning. Once the resort staff member arrived (Jordan), the kids had a blast and wanted to go back every day, however with a price of $90 for 2.5 hours we opted to entertain them ourselves!

Now the down side.
For some reason, this resort appears to be run by the parking valet staff. The amount of parking occupied by the valets is entirely unreasonable. The resort practically forces you to valet your car (due to lack of self-parking) and one time I experienced a valet that held my keys until I gave him a tip...which I didn't have at the time. Without the cash in-hand, I was sneered at upon driving away. Needless to say, that was the last time I used the valet and endured the 12 minute hike to remote spaces left in the parking lot not consumed by the valets...definitely left a bitter taste in our mouths.
There is a cafe called 'Sweet Potato Cafe' that is located between the main lobby and the guest rooms. During the mornings, this place is a zoo and entirely understaffed. If you're lucky enough to run into a middle-aged gentleman, don't expect any interest in your business. Perhaps he is an ex-valet that wanted more tips...
I would also agree with the comments regarding the concierge staff, who appeared somewhat preoccupied and disinterested in helping us. We did get plenty of pamphlets, though!

Overall, we were very pleased with our choice of resort and location. If you are looking for something even more up-scale area, check out Incline Village. Not much skiiing over there from what we could tell.

claims there is 'complimentary valet parking,' but tipping someone every time you need your car is nuts. We tipped every time

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2010

As a city dweller, it was fantastic to have the opportunity to visit this secluded, beautiful area for our honeymoon. We were well taken care of from the moment we arrived, even getting an upgrade to a fireplace suite. The suite is definitely the way to the go - roomy, comfortable and tastefully decorated. It was convenient to have a separate living area, and the kitchen was very well appointed. The bathroom was spacious and useful, with a separate shower (dual shower heads for a variety of options) and a deep, sinking tub. I found the bed to be comfortable. I got some of my best sleep there, and the design of the bed itself was very visually appealing. My husband and I have totally opposite desires in mattresses yet both found this one to our liking.

The staff was, in general, friendly and accommodating. Every staff member I encountered in the public areas were friendly and spoke, even if just to say hello. We had a small maintenance issue one evening, and the engineer was incredibly friendly The only exception to the rule was the concierge, who seemed rushed and slightly disinterested when we spoke with her. We would have liked more options, as we basically had to tell her exactly what we wanted, and we got more useful information from the Internet in our room.

The restaurants leave a bit to be desired, but it was convenient to have options on site. The service at Sandy's Pub was always prompt and friendly, but we had some serious short comings with Six Peaks. We spoke with the manager, who offered us free drinks for our poor service, but we were still charged for an item we had to send back and the food was really quite mediocre for all that we had read about it.

The spa was not as fancy as I was led to believe, both from advertisements and the price, but it was satisfactory. I had a 75-minute aromatherapy massage that I am not sure was worth the price, but it was a greatly relaxing massage. The locker room did offer a sauna and steam room, but the only jacuzzis were the outdoor ones in the common area, which were usually crawling with children, so a private spa jacuzzi would be a nice addition, especially for the cost of the spa services.

All in all, this place would be heaven if it were an adults-only resort, but you get what you should expect when visiting a family-friendly resort in August. There were a lot of children, from babies to teens, and if you are looking for a quieter time, September might be a great time to visit. It definitely would be an exciting place in the winter, but there was plenty to do in the summer and the area is just gorgeous. It is a great place to just relax.

Parking is free if you choose to self-park, but it is a bit of a hike from the parking lot. It is nice to have that option. Valet is also available.

It should be noted that we arranged kennel services for our small dog during our time there, as our reservations, the website and several signs informed us that pets were not allowed; however, we saw at least five large dogs that were not service animals, so I am not sure of the validity of the no-pets policy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

After our second summer stay at the resort, we liked it even more than the first time. It's geared to families -- from babies through teenagers -- and comfortably accommodates guests without extravagance. Its greatest advantages are its provision of, or proximity to, a wide range of activities: golf, pools, hiking; gondola, summer ice skating, river floats, mini golf, spa, etc. Its greatest drawback is that, sadly, the resort's exterior is a blemish on the beauty of the valley. A 70s throwback, the hotel is all black glass and concrete on the outside. Once inside, though, it's a comfy mountain lodge.
Service was consistently friendly and attitude-free. That said, it was far from error-free, with every meal accompanied by a mistake or two on the part of the server or kitchen. The mistakes seemed more the result of genuine errors, though, not the result of indifference. Food at the Six Peaks Grille was better than you'd expect for a non-destination hotel restaurant. Sandy's Pub was standard tavern fare, made more dull by offering the identical menu at lunch and dinner. Room service breakfast was just fine and not wildly expensive.

The resort was full when we were there, but not crowded; we did not have to wait for restaurant tables, poolside chaises or golf tee times. They got the "lively but not crazy" balance just right.
All in all, we felt relaxed, well taken care of, and not poverty-stricken by the time we departed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We had high hopes for this gorgeous-from-the-outside resort in an absolutely beautiful location. After reviewing the resort website and paying up, we expected some excellent four- or five-star accommodations and service. Common areas at the resort are attractive, and a nice range of activities are offered in both sunny and snowy seasons. But get to your room and you'll find old, squishy mattresses (on pretty beds) in a small space, thin walls (for hearing neighbors and hallway noise), not much lighting, soiled publications, thin towels/linens, and so-so amenities. Surprisingly, most staff seemed uninterested in helping guests, even during the slow times that we approached the bell desk or front desk. Exceptions: weekend breakfast staff at the main restaurant were excellent: friendly and thorough, and driveway/entrance staff were responsive and welcoming. We might recommend this mixed-bag hotel because of the location, if you can get a price under $200 and get a room facing out (to the valley) that has newer mattresses and thicker walls.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#7 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
1 mi away
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
15 mi away
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!