“Fantastic Summer Stay!”

Resort at Squaw Creek
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Perfect for families! Amazing pool, with an amazing staff. Pool toys were brought out during the day, along with a complimentary treat i.e. ice cream, fruit kabobs. Loved the sandy beach next to the pool and the 3 hot tubs The waterfall was gorgeous! Rooms were clean and well stocked. Views are surreal. Restaurants were fantastic and the group we traveled with loved Sandy's Pub for a late night-cap. Location was perfect. A little off the beaten Path from Tahoe City, but a short car or bike ride along the Truckee River. Bike available for rental at the resort. A 1 mile hike over to Olympic Village from the resort is a must. Lots to do once you get there with or without the kids. Shopping Bungee jumping, tram ride up to a pool, and plenty of places to eat and drink. If I had to find any faults, it would be that the closets didn't have a light in them and it was somewhat hard to see, however, I have high standards when it comes to travel, and Resort at Squaw met and exceeded.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, Public Relations Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Thank you for your glowing review. We're glad you were able to enjoy many of the wonderful amenities we have at Resort at Squaw Creek. We hope to see you back soon!

Respectfully,

Marc Sapoznik
Resort at Squaw Creek

Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed July 11, 2010

Spent one night here. Glad it wasn't longer.

I got two rooms on Hotwire for $154. I was travelling with my mother and two teenagers. When we checked in, I upgraded one room to a Fireplace Suite for an additional $40 (way down from their original quote, but still a little more than I wanted. Anyway.) The standard room adjoined the suite.

The surroundings couldn't be lovelier, and the main building is gorgeous. During check-in, the desk clerk answered a call and ended up spending more time trying to get a fax number for the employee on the other other end of the line than checking us in. After we were finally checked in, we exited through the rear of the building and walked through an open-air shopping arcade to get to the rooms. Beautiful views of the grounds, including the pools/hot tubs/sport court (with lots of kids, more about that later) and the idled ski lift and tram right next to the guest room building.

The suite was set up rather strangely -- we walked through a narrow kitchenette and into the living area, which had a loveseat, chair, coffee table, tv, small table w/4 chairs, and the fireplace. Large windows, and one even opened! The Fireplace Suites are true suites, with a separate bedroom. The bathroom is large and can be accessed through the kitchen/hall or bedroom. Pots/pans/utensils were provided; there was a smooth top two-burner stove, microwave, and small dishwasher-in-a-drawer. There was a coffeemaker, but we were not provided with cream or sugar.

Both rooms were rather small. The Fireplace Suite had strange little nooks and angles, like someone designed it as the solution to an engineering problem but didn't think about how it would actually look or work. The windows in the suite were absolutely filthy, with lots of little fingerprints and streaks.

We arrived late, and hit one of the restaurants, Sandy's, about 8:30. This is the more casual of the two restaurants on the property. We snagged the last table and settled in comfortably. That didn't last long, though, because we were seated by some kind of game table. Don't know the name of it, but it resembled a very long and skinny air hockey table...except it wasn't. Anyway, it was the focal point for lots of EXTREMELY LOUD families who were cheering and jeering with great enthusiasm. We're talking yelling. Bellowing. Fist pumps and jumping, screaming children. All this while we're about 10 feet away.

We asked to be moved, but there were no other open tables. Decided to stick it out. A family would leave the table, only to be replaced by another, just as loud. We asked our waiter to please ask one incredibly loud group to pipe down, but he refused and said "I'm not allowed to do that."

Just as I was about to go over and nicely ask them to be quiet, this particular family sat down about three tables away. The parents proceeded to ignore the kids, so after awhile the kids were jumping on the banquette like it was their own personal bed. Then the kids began to scream and try to climb up the very tall banquettes. I was amazed -- no one on staff did a thing. Our party was clearly not the only ones who were having a terrible time because of this feral family, yet not a word was said to the parents.

Look, I have kids (both big and small) myself. I have pretty good noise tolerance because of this, so it takes a lot to set me off. And this was a lot. It was not helped by the fact that we spent over $130 for dinner for four, and couldn't even hear each other at times.

I found out later that Disney Tours brings a lot of groups through here since it's such a child-friendly resort. Had I known this, I would not have stayed here for this particular occasion, which was my mother's birthday. If you want a stay that's relaxing/romantic/not child-centered, this may not be the place for you. This would be a great place to vacation with kids of all ages if money isn't a concern.

Upon checkout, I politely voiced my displeasure about the terrible experience the evening before. The desk clerk showed virtually no concern.

This was my first and last stay here!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank AnonymousMe
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This was the second time I've stayed here and both times were really lovely. The setting is spectacular and the hotel is gracious and comfortable. The lobby is large and filled with overstuffed sofas and armchairs and a huge fireplace. A nice place to hang out, read a book, play a board game (they'll supply one). And the views ar beyond spectacular.
Both times I was there for business but ended feeling like I was on vacation. The room was large, nicely furnished in Tahoe mountain style. The bed was a little harder than I like but I slep well. Room service was great; fast & the food was yummy delivered quickly by nice, friendly people. The gym and the spa were great.
Now both times I was there it was off season so the hotel was not full so I can't comment on how the service might be at peak times but when we were there it felt like pure luxury.....and we didn't even ski or use the pools or play golf.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We went to the resort at squaw creek for our Anniversary celebration. Lake Tahoe is about 6 miles drives from the resort. The Resort is at a beautiful location. It was lovely to wake up to see the snow-capped mountains from the Bay windows :)
Definitely a 4-star hotel experience. Since there are not a lot of restaurants around in that area, we had to depend on the dining provided by the hotel. My husband, being a vegetarian, had a tough time with the menu options. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

We had some unpleasant experience with the in-room service guys.We were there for 5 days. Here's what happened when we called for extra cream and sugar:
Day 1: "Oh, we have dairy and non-dairy, what do you like." They delivered dairy creamer and we were happy.
Day 2: "Sure, no problem." They delivered and we were happy.
Day 3: (A guy, we didn't get his name)"Mam, we will deliver it today for free, but we may have to start charging you the next time." We were like, sure that's not a problem, although we were confused about the change in tone of their response.
Day 4: (Elizabeth) "You know what, there is a Deli open outside, you can get creamer there!" We were shocked by the reaction. It was almost like they were ready with their response, as soon as we called. Nobody even bothered to ask if its OK to charge us for it. We went ahead and ordered in-room delivery of the creamer from the deli and got done with it!

Here are my issues with the whole episode:
1. Why is the service on day-1 different from other days. The basics of customer service is consistency. Treat your guests the same way every day!
2. Even if in-room was going to cost us, and they offered for free, why was the assumption made that we were not going to pay for it. Come on, we spent so much on the resort and dining there, extra 5 bucks for a good coffee every morning was not going to hurt us in any way!
3. The attitude of the guy and the lady (Elizabeth) was not acceptable to an otherwise high level of customer service in other areas in the resort.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The hotel has great facilities but absolutely terrible service. If you are looking for smooth guest service do not come here! Only come if you want to get extorted - they charge a $16 mandatory "resort fee" for wireless Internet, etc on top of their already exorbitant rates. In addition their guest service team will provide the minimum level of service while entrapping you in situations which require unearned gratuities.

1  Thank JFK57
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I promised that I'd update my review, if we decided to go and we did.

Firstly let me say that the guest services lady was great, sorry I forgot her name. When we checked into the room she called to make sure all was okay and said to call her if we needed anything, which already added a less "corporate" feel to the place. Although, because the place is a time-share, you feel like you are constantly being hawked on buying a unit. We considered it for a moment but while in the elevator overheard an agent haggling with a prospective buyer.

She pointed out that the place he was interested in became available because the previous owner thought he'd make additional money on owning it which isn't the case. In other words "ownership" simply allows your use of the unit. The money brought in while you are not there only covers the upkeep.

The room was very nice, in fact I think it was the same one that is shown on the website (Fireplace Suite). It was spacious, cozy and modern. The Ski pro staff were knowledgeable and gave my Wife and I the best fitting boots we've ever had, which made skiing faar more enjoyable!

The jacuzzis were awesome, just make sure to leave the slope a little earlier or it gets pretty packed. Unfortunately the largest jacuzzi was out of service for a couple of days, which limited space even further. Moreover, there was some sort of football convention when we were there, which closed off the jacuzzi's and other areas for "private use". Sort of makes you feel like a second class citizen but whatever.

The Bartender at the outside deck/chuck wagon area was hilarious and made great drinks! The food served at the chuck wagon wasn't bad...but nothing to write about. Sweet Potatoes Deli was great, although I might suggest that the resort hold its staff-meetings elsewhere. Somehow doesn't feel right eating a great steak and listening to a manager air the hotels dirty laundry in front of you, but I digress. The food at Sandy's and the service were excellent.

The location of the hotel can't be beat. We ate at Plump Jacks and saw how crowded it was in Squaw Valley, so decided not to leave our Hotel area, with the exception of when we went to the South of the lake.

Sleeping was comfortable. However, we were awoken a couple of nights to the sound of machines clearing the slope, the bottom of which was under our window. Additionally, the football guests had some pretty wild and loud parties at night which made me feel like I was back in Hollywood.

A word of warning on valet parking; they park your car along the road not under cover/garage etc. I gave my car to them clean and when I got it back it looked like it had been through a Baja race. However, I had done my brakes prior to coming to the resort and the valet, upon our leaving, noticed I was missing a bolt on one tire. He gave me directions to a place that would take care of it, so all was well.

In closing let me say that this is probably the best place you will find in Squaw. I'll go further and say it's a solid 4 stars, but no more.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I stayed here for Christmas of 09. The resort was beautiful. Check-in was fast and easy. The lobby had games and was very nicely decorated. People complain about the price but this is a resort.. If you are looking for a lower price try the Motel 6. I had a fireplace suite and the views were beautiful. I didn't have reservations because I forgot to book them at Six Peaks Grille(in Resort) for Christmas night, they quickly sat us down. They obviously had families waiting so that was a big plus. At the spa I had the rock stone massage and it was relaxing and professional. I loved the jacuzzi at night. It was beautiful. I had to ride the bus to get to the skiing but it was no big deal.(They do have one of site but its for the experienced.) This was the best Christmas I could ask for. Beautiful resort. 10 out of 10

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
1 mi away
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
15 mi away
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!