“Obviously a five star property”

Resort at Squaw Creek
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
chicago suburbs
“Obviously a five star property”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here two nights midweek in July as part of a family vacation. We were very happy with the resort. It was top class in every way. We stayed at 5 lodgings during our vacation, of varying types. For example, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco and the rooms at the Squaw Creek Resort were much nicer - larger and more attractive with a much better view (we had a Valley view room). The beds here were extremely comfortable with nice decorative pillows.

This property has a splendid pool, nicely heated. My kids (boy 11 and girl 12) loved it. There is a separate pool with a long slide for kids under 10 (my estimate) and there are three hot tubs, which draw a lot of kids in summer, but one is reserved for adults, so that helped.

There was a shop onsite that served Starbucks, made lattes and cappuccinos, sold bagels, pastries, etc. They also sold beer and wine, not sure what food was available later in day, but I think it was open all day, and it was very convenient.

The breakfast at the main restaurant was also good. It was a fixed price buffet with an omelet station and lots of good choices. Maybe a little pricy, but for this sort of property it wasnt outrageous.

The staff was friendly and helpful, though I seldom have problems that need a lot of attention.
The grounds were really beautiful and well maintained, with a nice view of the valley from many of the rooms and much of the public space. There were bike rentals available.

I didn't bring my golf clubs, but the course looked pretty nice. The first tee is a short walk from the rooms and the pool.

We did attempt to eat dinner at the pub and seated ourselves outside with most of the other patrons. After about 5 minutes of looking around, no one had come to our table and I noticed it seemed pretty chaotic, so we got up and left. I was pretty annoyed about that because you have to drive 5 miles to town to get a meal, but I do not like to sit and wait for a hostess or waiter to at least stop by and say "we're really busy, I will be over in a few minutes." So we left and that should not happen at a place like Squaw Creek.

Other than that, I share the minor gripe that self-parking was too far away, but at least the air is fresh and the scenery is attractive... It was a two minute walk to the parking area.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat! My wife and our kids were very happy here.

Room Tip: I think the valley view was worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ResortatSquawCreek, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear matrepok,

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed many of the amenities Resort at Squaw Creek has to offer! I'm happy to read that you would stay again, and hope you visit again soon.

Eric Sather, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Burlingame, California, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the resort for a weekend getaway in June. Really enjoyed the experience. This is definitely the off season, and not all of the restaurants were open for all meals, but there was plenty to do and eat on-property. We don't play golf, but it's clear that the golf course was popular and well cared for.

The resort was reasonably crowded, so the shops were all open. The food at the lower-level bar and grill was surprisingly good: top notch "signature burger" and sweet potato fries. The breakfast buffet was likewise really good, and not much more expensive than eating several solo items at the take-out cafe, so we stuck with the buffet.

The hotel is within about a 20 minute nature walk (or free shuttle) from the central Squaw Creek ski lift area. The nature walk is easy (though rocky and occasionally muddy/wet from small creeks).

We took the lift up to the top of the Squaw resort. It's expensive but there's a coupon available at Squaw Creek that helps a bit. From there, we had an excellent several-hour hike to the top of Squaw Peak (about 900 foot elevation gain and almost 9000 feet at the peak, so it's quite a hike). We'd gotten sandwiches, drinks and chips at the top of the gondola, so that was quite easy and worthwhile.

The pool and hot tub at the resort are excellent. Warm enough. Nice bar near the pool for adult relaxing. Really had a good time, and had we stayed longer there were plenty of nature opportunities in the area.

Recommended for a good summer getaway.

Room Tip: Higher floors are good. Got upgraded to a fireplace suite. We didn't overlook the pool area, so...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Carlos, California
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Staying at the resort for business and feel quite fortunate to be here. The room is of average size with comfortable furnishings and a fast wifi connection. Two windows that open allow for great air flow, the carpet is thick, the robes are comfy and with the windows closed, I'm not hearing the continuing party outside. Yes, the self-parking lot is a little ways down the hill but the walk up, at least in the summer, is not a big deal (I could see it being a challenge with snow on the ground). The view of the valley is lovely and the catered dinner was excellent.
I'd always wanted to stay here and am glad for the opportunity to do so!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ResortatSquawCreek, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear dalbertson,

I am so pleased to hear you are enjoying your room and the amenities we offer at Resort at Squaw Creek! Thank you for sharing your comment, and we hope you can visit again soon!

Eric Sather, General Manager
Duncansville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The hotel overlooks the ski resort. You can climb to the top of the tram and take the tram down for free. The pool area is spectacular with several hot tubs. The restaurants are expensive, but the food is good. The Olympic Village is a short drive or a long walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a suite
Green Features: They offer a 5 dollar voucher if you choose to clean your own room and reuse towels.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My Wife and I had planned a weekend getaway and were excited to find a '4 Star' Resort for a reasonable price. Our room was nice, but at 11pm the nightmare started with a loud group in the next room. We finally got the front desk to come and ask them to be quiet. Our dinner at the Six Peaks Restaurant was another disappointment. Very small portions for outrageous prices. I had coffee when we ordered, but never was offered a refill during the entire dinner. Very poor service overall. Paid $75 for dinner, and left hungry. At checkout, we were told there was a $20 fee for the Valet parking. When we protested, this was removed from our bill.
Overall, we would probably not stay there again. But, I found the Golf Course to be beautiful and very challenging. Even tho' I lost a few golf balls in the wildlands on either side of the narrow fairways, I loved the environment.

Room Tip: Forest view is least desired.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4dtruker
ResortatSquawCreek, Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear 4dtruker,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is always helpful for us to hear what our guests have experienced during their stay with us, and allow us the opportunity to improve. I was concerned to read of your experience in our restaurant, and have shared this with our management team so that we may do some follow up training with our staff, especially during our busier seasons, to ensure that we are providing the level of service that is expected of us.

Andre Priemer, Resort Manager
Chico, California
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My entire family enjoyed our mini-vacation at the Resort at Squaw Creek last week. Summer is beautiful in Olympic Valley and the resort has a lot to keep everyone entertained. The kids had a great time in the pool - the water slide was a very nice feature which set this hotel pool apart from all others! Other activities helped distract the kids - bean bag toss, etc. We ate at Sandy's Pub and Six Peaks - both were very good food, and service. Dining on the multi-level patio simply cannot be beat! Our fireplace suite was well equipped, and the view of the forest, while not expansive, was not bad. Yes, I could see cars in the parking lot, but with all the outdoor space at this resort, I would rather have coffee and read on one of their magnificent patios than in my room anyway. The views everywhere on the property were fantastic. We looked for and eventually found the trail over to the Alpine Village, and though the walk through the woods was lovely and not too long (.6 mile), the destination was disappointing. The trail ends at the far edge of the Village parking lot, which left us trudging across the blacktop in the sun at the hottest time of day. The Village itself was pretty quiet, just not much happening on in summer. A tram ride to High Camp was fun - look for coupons online. But the highlight of our stay was definitely this beautiful resort! Our family can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kristen T,

So pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time at Resort at Squaw Creek. It sounds like you really got to immerse yourself in much of what we offer to our summertime guests! We hope to see you again soon -

Andre Priemer, Resort Manager
Quincy
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed here in June for my husband's birthday. The pools are beautiful and the entire resort is lovely. We enjoyed the proximity to the Olympic Village and yet were happy to return to the isloation of the Resort at Squaw Creek. It was very windy, so the pool time could have been better. Overall, I highly recommend.

Room Tip: We chose not to upgrade to a mountain view but our Forest view was nice; it looked out on a fairway...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!