“Great location great hotel!”

PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Great location great hotel!”
Reviewed December 31, 2008

LOCATION:
Plump Jack is the perfect location if you are looking for a ski in ski out hotel. It is literally a 30 second walk from the hotel entrance to the tram. It is right next to the squaw village which includes many restaurants, retail outlets and a small grocery store. Note: there is no valet parking and the parking lot is small and can be very slippery.
AMBIANCE:
Plump Jack felt very comfortable almost like staying in someone’s home.
HOTEL:
The hotel itself is a little bit unusual. It is an older building with 3 levels. It’s a bit smaller than I expected and there are no elevators in the building which is very inconvenient when trying to carry bags or walk downstairs in ski boots. The staircases are also very narrow so be careful! The hotel otherwise is nicely furnished and is clean and comfortable. They offer hot cider when you check-in which is a great touch!
You are allowed to put your skis/snowboard at the front desk but poles and ski boots have to go in your room/car.
They offer a beautiful breakfast buffet every morning with your room. I highly recommend the delicious granola!
SERVICE:
Although many of the staff members are young most were very nice and helpful.
ROOM:
We had a room on the second level facing into the hotel (view of the swimming pool). The rooms are smaller than I expected and the furniture is a bit dated. I also agree that the white fan in the window is a little unattractive! The rooms were spotless and beds extremely comfortable. The walls are a little thin but no one was loud enough to wake us from sleeping. The bathrooms are very spacious however; it would have been nice to have a bathtub instead of or in addition to a shower especially after a long day of skiing!
Also, there were 4 people in my party yet only two robes, and slippers in the room, although it was no trouble to get more it would have been nice if this had been address prior to our arrival.
SECURITY:
The Plump Jack hotel seems very secure and we had no issues however, I was disappointed that there are no safes in the rooms! You can have a security box at the front desk however they are very small and only big enough for some jewelry. I decided to lock my valuable in my car’s trunk during the day. A hotel of this caliber really should install large safes in every room!
INTERNET:
There is free high speed wireless internet in all of the rooms that worked very well! A great amenity!
RESTAURANT/IN ROOM DINING:
The Plump Jack restaurant is excellent! Everyone thought the food was delicious. I highly recommend making a reservation ahead of time as it fills up very quickly.
POOL:
I did not use the pool or jacuzzis while I was here but two people in my party did and said it was very relaxing and enjoyable.
SPA/GYM:
There is no spa at Plump Jack however there is a spa located in the village. The gym is brand new, has a treadmill and two ellipticals plus weight machines/free weights.
OVERALL:
Plump Jack was a great place to stay and we will probably return in the future. There are some minor elements that could be improved on but overall we truly enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — The location!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ASYAmanda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
West Chesterfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at PlumpJack for a wedding. It is an absolutely gorgeous location and the hotel itself is quite lovely and above average! The staff was really helpful and nice. I called them directly and from the get-go I had a really pleasant experience dealing with them. We had breakfast there every morning and that is really nice and totally worth it. I used the gym everyday i was there & I would say it is above average as far as hotel gym facilities are concerned. The room was really nice, comfortable bed & a nice spacious bathroom. There is the village right there (within a 2 minute way) and that village has a variety of wonderful shops, cafes, restaurants, bars...you don't even need to leave PlumJack....but it you should because Lake Tahoe is too gorgeous not to explore!

I highly recommend staying at the the PlumpJack. I imagine that in the winter it must be so incredibly nice staying right there at the base of the mountain.....FANTASTIC!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Plumpjack SVI is not a place I would recommend to anyone. Despite the adequate service provided by the hotel’s staff, only some of the prior reviews of this property get it right.

Service: I have very high expectations of hotel staff and I must say that the staff at the Plumpjack really tries to get it right. They’re friendly, informative, and attentive. Besides the stellar location, the staff is the only other redeeming quality of this hotel. Kudos to them!

Room Noise: When I checked in I requested a quiet room. Instead, my room was located on the 2nd floor near the restaurant kitchen exhaust fans, which operated well into the night. In the warm weather I was forced to choose between an open window or listening to those industrial fans drone on almost all night long. (More on the warm weather later!) Odd numbered rooms between 201 and 209 seem to be most affected by this noise.

Making matters worse was the newspaper vendor who, at 3:30am on the morning of Wednesday, Aug 20, loaded his newspaper vending machine into his running SUV parked in the hotel’s delivery driveway. According to the front desk clerk, the driveway was supposed to be closed to all traffic. Having walked past that driveway over ten times during my stay, I can say that I never saw any sort of barrier closing off that driveway.

During my prior stay in Aug 2007, my room was situated along the road where I heard cars driving by all night long. These experiences lead me to believe there are no quiet rooms in this establishment. In my opinion, all the amenities in the world can't replace a quiet place to rest at night.

Sweltering Heat: Mountain resort properties, like the Plumpjack, often don’t have air conditioning. If you read the prior reviews of this property you’ll see a common theme: second floor rooms are VERY HOT, all year round. Both of my stays have validated those concerns.

Although the nighttime temperatures are low, the wood-framed Plumpjack hotel retains the heat. To compensate, the hotel provides a wholly inadequate $10 box fan in your room. You may be tempted to open a window; if you do you will likely experience unpleasant noise levels (see above). Skip this establishment if you have trouble sleeping in warm rooms.

Lastly, be prepared to have enough clothes for your entire stay; there are no valet laundry or dry cleaning services available.

Other than my complaints described above, my room was clean and nicely furnished. The internet worked well in both my room and the conference center.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Loud, noisy rooms, lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank Tax_Counsel
Cleveland
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Currently at Plumpjack for a week-long business meeting/trade-show at the Resort at Squaw Creek. Wished I could have stayed there, but they were sold out. Can't wait to go home so I can actually sleep at night.

I agree with the previous posters, Summer can get hot and with no air conditioning I was miserable in the room. With window open all noise carries and I did not sleep well at all for the entire week. Many of the rooms are against a service entrance (mine was 105) and I can hear clanking and talking all night. The beds/bathrooms were comfy and this would be a great spot in the Winter, but never in the Summer.

The decor was pretty neat and the bar/restaurant was great but these were my only positive attributes. Internet connection was poor and hotel does not offer any drycleaning services. For a week-long conference I had to wear most of my clothes twice.
This hotel would be perfect in the ski season, but I absolutely do not advise for summer and for anything remotely business related.

• Liked — Bar / Restaurant
  • Disliked — Hot, no air conditioning, very noisy, not being able to sleep at night.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank NeuroAngiodoc
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 22, 2008

"Perfect location, immaculate rooms and a great restaurant and bar, what more do you need?

After a one-nighter in Tahoe City, we got snobby and wanted to stay at Squaw for some easy ski in ski out, apres ski and stumble back to your room. Just walking in the room provided instant relaxation. The room was very spacious accommodating all your ski and boarding equipment, plus a huge bathroom with slate tile and lovely bath amenities. I've never had the privilege of a ski in and out room. Now i don't think i can go back to the pack up your car and sit in the front seat trying to pry off your ski boots type of experience.

Free breakfast is included with your room rate which was served in the bar area. Hot and cold items are served, which is a nice change of pace from the typical cold pastry and soft red apple continental breakfast.

Definitely hit up the bar for a cocktail and appetizer or better yet, splurge at the restaurant."

Stayed February 2008
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Great service – but hotel is OLD (they did their best putting lipstick on a pig), it was built for the Olympics in the 60s. Our room was incredibly loud – we could hear the conversations next door, kids crying, people flushing their toilet, & the people walking upstairs sounded like elephants. You can’t beat the location (base of Squaw) or the service – but this place is really a gussied up (think paint & some nice furniture) Holiday Inn or Motel 6.

• Liked — Location & service
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank SodaSanFran
California
Reviewed February 26, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and will do so in the future due to it's great location and special character.
However, every time I stay here I have the same problems.
This property is a two story wooden stucture. If you stay on the second floor, you may find yourself in an uncomfortably hot room. If you stay at the first floor you may not be able to go to bed early (which I like to do when skiing), because all the walking upstairs sounds like somebody pounding the floor. Especially if the room upstairs has some rowdy kids who are jumping on/off beds and running around it is very noisy. If you are a light sleeper, you will also be awakended by the snow plowing machines at 4 a.m.

Over the President's day holiday the rate was about $400 a night including a free breakfast for two adults. At that price it was annoying that they were nickle and diming me by making me pay $8 for a child's breakfast, because we were one adult and two kids. It did not make sense since an adult breakfast costs $19 and two kids breakfasts only $16.

The staff is hit or miss. Some of the people are very nice. Some of them are inexperienced young people (seasonal?) who don't know that customer is the king. The rooms have shapeless feather pillows and the requested non-feather pillow never arrived.

The rooms are basic hotel rooms with wall to wall carpeting, one or two beds, a small table, two chairs and a tv. As a decoration the rooms have large shapes cut out of steel plates, which are starting to look a little bit dated. The rooms lack two things: a closet and a coffee/tea maker.

They used to have a cute store downstairs which sold designer jeans and UGG boots. Now it is gone and there is a gym instead.

A couple of weeks before our visit we got an e-mail from the hotel encouraging us to make reservations at the hotel restaurant. We tried but it was sold out between 5-8 p.m. for every night. We ate at the other restaurants at the resorts where you did not need reservations. There is also a Starbucks next door.

The best thing about this hotel is that you are a few steps from the gondola and can ski back near the hotel. It is probably the most conveniet place to stay at Squaw.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
#4 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn? Share your experiences!