“Fantastic Morning of Fly Fishing”

Matt Heron Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Matt Heron Fly Fishing is an all inclusive fly fishing school and outfitter in North Lake Tahoe, CA. Our school is widely regarded as one of the best in the country, offering daily classes on our private stocked ponds, spring through fall. Our year round outfitter is based out of Truckee CA, and provides trips on the Truckee River, Little Truckee River and Sawmill Lake. We also have access to many other creeks and lakes, as well as private water options. During the winter, we host trips to some of the worlds finest saltwater destinations and lodges. Next time you're in Tahoe, let our talented team of experienced guides and instructors show you an amazing experience on the water!
Reviewed April 9, 2016

My boyfriend and I went out with Matt one April Sunday morning - it was easily the absolute best part of our weekend in Tahoe. Matt is patient, easy-going and incredibly knowledgeable and well-versed when it comes to Fly Fishing. We joined Matt as true beginners - having just taken a few classes at the GGACC. It was my first time out on the river in my waders, and I was a bit nervous and unsure of what to expect. Matt was so gracious - asking us what our goals were for the day, any areas of interest we wanted to focus on etc. For me, it was just getting comfortable casting and learning the best way to set. He taught me how to mend the line and how to bring the fish in; best way to hold the fish, what types of flies to look for etc. Beyond all of that - Matt's enthusiasm for the environment, land conservation and all the elements that effect and attract fish is captivating. Matt is calm and encouraging, but when he sees that a fish in on the line his energy is contagious! We couldn't sing his praises enough. A wonderful teacher and now friend.

1  Thank Emily G
Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2016

Emily,

Thank you for the fantastic review! Glad to hear you guys had such a good time! I had a great time on the water with both of you.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you get on the water again, but for now it looks like Dean and his buddies are up next.

Keep in touch and see you next time.

MH

"a lot of fun"
"casting"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed December 1, 2015

Matt loves Fly Fishing. More than that, Matt makes YOU love Fly Fishing. I'm a self-taught fisherman myself, however there's no question how important and influential an outstanding teacher can be. That's Matt. He's considerate, passionate, knowledgeable and knows how to work with people. He knows the tricks, the trade and the culture of Fly Fishing and he's completely enthusiastic about sharing that in his instruction. Matt's the type of teacher anyone would have a blast learning from, so sign up, learn and love what you discover. Oh yeah, and that self-taught fisherman part? Well, I sucked until I learned under Matt and he helped me catch my very first trout on a fly.

1  Thank drueGRIT
Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2016

Drue,

Sorry for the huge delay with my reply, not sure how that happened. Anyway, thank you for the post. I especially loved the part about teaching. That is my passion before anything else.

Hope life is treating and you career well in SoCal. Keep in touch next time you're in town!

Reviewed November 7, 2015

Matt was an excellent instructor, resource and guide. He not only put us on fish, but made sure we understood what we were doing on the river and how to fish the local water. Unlike many guides, he started with education and the basics, and then led us on a great expedition to catch a handful of rainbows and browns in the little truckee. I took my father on this trip as a beginner and I can't tell you how grateful and enthusiastic he was after this experience. I would highly recommend Matt as an educator and guide in the tahoe region!

Drew,

Thank you for the review a while back. No clue how I overlooked my reply!

Anyway, I had a great time with you and your dad on the water and hope we can do it again next time you're in town.

Also, I hope things went well with your new film and Kickstarter campaign!

Matt

Reviewed September 24, 2015 via mobile

He spent an hour and a half teaching us the basics and the. It was off to fishing in the stocked I must have caught 10 rainbow trout. Oils highly recommend him to anyone aat any level of fly fishing.ponds.

Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2015

Eric,

So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Not that I'm surprised, you stuck more fish than anyone all summer!

Good luck if you continue your fly fishing career in TX for Reds and Specs.

See you next time around.

MH

See more reviews
Reviewed September 14, 2015

We visited Tahoe/Truckee for our post-babymoon and fly fishing was a bucket list item that my husband and I wanted to do. Matt made this trip so exciting and exactly how I envisioned. He was so patient and taught us just about everything there is to know in 20 minutes and made it so easy to understand to where we barely had to ask questions. We were catching fish so quickly. He has such a great personality and really made this a true joy. I can't wait to take our son when he a little bit older to do this again.

Thank you for the post guys. What a day we had! It's still one of the tops days we've had in a long time. It will be hard to beat. Ending the day with that big brown was icing on the cake.

Keep in touch next time you're around, I would love to do it again.

Matt