Review Highlights
Truckee River Fly Fishing Aventure

First time fly fishing the Truckee. Great day of fighting fish and the cold!! Matt kept my... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
B7902LFleeb
via mobile
Truckee river fly fishing (father/son) guided trip

Best father son fly fishing trip ever. My son(9yrs) and myself had a great trip with Matt. He was... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Tuck W
via mobile

All reviews trout truckee river catching fish guided trip great teacher nice fish every step of the way resort at squaw creek positive attitude learning experience highly recommend this adventure work ethic experienced angler his knowledge super fun couple of hours a lot of fun
Reviewed December 1, 2015

Matt loves Fly Fishing. More than that, Matt makes YOU love Fly Fishing. I'm a self-taught fisherman myself, however there's no question how important and influential an outstanding teacher can be. That's Matt. He's considerate, passionate, knowledgeable and knows how to work with people. He knows the tricks, the trade and the culture of Fly Fishing and he's completely enthusiastic about sharing that in his instruction. Matt's the type of teacher anyone would have a blast learning from, so sign up, learn and love what you discover. Oh yeah, and that self-taught fisherman part? Well, I sucked until I learned under Matt and he helped me catch my very first trout on a fly.

1  Thank drueGRIT
Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2016

Drue,

Sorry for the huge delay with my reply, not sure how that happened. Anyway, thank you for the post. I especially loved the part about teaching. That is my passion before anything else.

Hope life is treating and you career well in SoCal. Keep in touch next time you're in town!

Reviewed November 7, 2015

Matt was an excellent instructor, resource and guide. He not only put us on fish, but made sure we understood what we were doing on the river and how to fish the local water. Unlike many guides, he started with education and the basics, and then led us on a great expedition to catch a handful of rainbows and browns in the little truckee. I took my father on this trip as a beginner and I can't tell you how grateful and enthusiastic he was after this experience. I would highly recommend Matt as an educator and guide in the tahoe region!

Date of experience: November 2015
Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2016

Drew,

Thank you for the review a while back. No clue how I overlooked my reply!

Anyway, I had a great time with you and your dad on the water and hope we can do it again next time you're in town.

Also, I hope things went well with your new film and Kickstarter campaign!

Reviewed September 24, 2015 via mobile

He spent an hour and a half teaching us the basics and the. It was off to fishing in the stocked I must have caught 10 rainbow trout. Oils highly recommend him to anyone aat any level of fly fishing.ponds.

Date of experience: September 2015
Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2015

Eric,

So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Not that I'm surprised, you stuck more fish than anyone all summer!

Good luck if you continue your fly fishing career in TX for Reds and Specs.

See you next time around.

MH

Reviewed September 14, 2015

We visited Tahoe/Truckee for our post-babymoon and fly fishing was a bucket list item that my husband and I wanted to do. Matt made this trip so exciting and exactly how I envisioned. He was so patient and taught us just about everything there is to know in 20 minutes and made it so easy to understand to where we barely had to ask questions. We were catching fish so quickly. He has such a great personality and really made this a true joy. I can't wait to take our son when he a little bit older to do this again.

Date of experience: September 2015

Thank you for the post guys. What a day we had! It's still one of the tops days we've had in a long time. It will be hard to beat. Ending the day with that big brown was icing on the cake.

Keep in touch next time you're around, I would love to do it again.

Reviewed August 25, 2015

Matt is a star. With 2 teenage boys and an old dad he stuck with teaching us to cast through thick and thin. Despite seeing flys caught in trees, bushes and weed Matt taught all three of us to cast good resulting in 7 fish caught!.
The small lake we were at, whilst in the center of the golf course still provided spectacular views up Squaw valley with the most perfect weather imaginable.
Matt gets the best score we can give. Thank you so much for your patience.

Date of experience: August 2015
Matt H, Owner at Matt Heron Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2015

Barry,

Glad to hear you and boys enjoyed your time with us!

Thank you for the kind words and I look forward to round two down the road.