“The Village is Awesome!!”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 10, 2006

“This is the third time I have stayed here and once again it was fantastic. The rooms are new and spacious. Plenty of room for my husband and I and are 2 daughters. I did read some of the terrible reviews and could not believe that they were talking about The Village at Squaw! We have always found the staff helpful.

Yes, it can be a bit noisy at times, but hey- you are in a lively village! That is what we love about it. It is so convenient to be able to just run down stairs and grab a bite to eat, get a massage at the spa, and walk to the lifts. I love not having to drive anywhere and lugging the kids with all their ski stuff to the mountain. There was tons of snow, and it was easy...this is hard to find in a ski vacation as we all know-ski vacations with kids are not easy! We will keep this as our annual ski vacation for years to come!”

Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank mjstwomey
There are newer reviews for The Village At Squaw Valley

Reviewed July 10, 2006

My husband and I just got back from a weekend at The Village - we actually had a great stay at this resort.

We stayed in a one bedroom condo in the North Face Suites, overlooking the Auld Dubliner Pub. The suite was nicely decorated and very clean. The mini-kitchen was also very convenient - it was stocked with wineglasses, plates, a wineopener, microwave, toaster, etc.

Both the bedroom and "living room" had a TV and DVD/video player. The suite has a heating and cooling system which is water insulated (very cool). The fireplace was gas powered, which I enjoyed because it turned on right away.

The bed and pillows were firm - a little too firm for our taste. But let me qualify this by saying that my husband and I prefer our mattress on the softer side.

It was warm this weekend, but not unbearable. What I like about the Village is that there's stores and restaurants on the resort grounds. We ate dinner at the Fireside Pizza Company and it was actually very good! You can just walk around or sit and people watch, and many of the restaurants stay open till about 10:00pm.

As I said above, we stayed above the Auld Dubliner Pub. They had a live band play on Saturday night and it was very loud (but cool to listen to from the balcony). However, when it came time to go to bed (12am-ish), I couldn't sleep because of the noise. As I complained to my husband about this, he reminded me that the window in the bedroom was wide open. I got up, closed it, and that was it - no more noise and I fell asleep within 5 minutes.

All in all, we loved staying here -- it was very nice. Let me qualify again by saying we're not "outsoorsy" people, so we were definately looking for a nice place to stay without having to "rough it". The Village is very family oriented and many of the people who stayed here seemed to be very active and scattered to hike, bike ride, walk, canoe, etc. as soon as the sun rose. It's also close to North Lake Tahoe - about a 5-10 minute car ride.

I'm not sure why The Village has so-so reviews. My husband and I personally liked the resort very much and are looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Traveling_Coris
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Stayed at the Village at Squaw the weekend of June 23. First the bad; It was a very hot weekend and rooms did not have air conditioning. They only had one small fan that was enough to cool one room. For the two nights we were there, we had no housekeeping. We couldn't complain as we got in late at night. We did complain when checking out, but all they said was that they were sorry about that.
We were two adults and four kids in a one bedroom with den. We thought the room was a good size, nice kitchen, good utensils etc. Great view from our room on the fourth floor. A little noisy from the roof vent, but other than that, it was o.k.
We liked the restaurants and the shops. Would stay there again maybe a different time of year.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank Ronin28
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Visited for a business meeting in the late spring, clearly "off season". Amenities (such as the snack shop) were not available during stated hours. Not all restaurants were open, and the food at those that were was un-inspiring and overpriced. The rooms are a long way from the parking lot, and the pools and hot tubs are a long way from the rooms. The rooms are large and comforable, but sounds from outside and next door are heard.
Would not select this resort again

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank trbj
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We had a great weekend here, last of April. We were surprised that we could get a 1 bedroom condo at the Village on the weekend of Earth Day and while there was still skiing for just $159. I could see how some units could be subjected to noise. By luck, we happened to be on the 4th floor of the eastern section of the Village. Our unit looked south over the excellent hot tubs and to some of the snow covered ski slopes. It was very easy to exit the unit and get out into the village proper, which bustled with life on this Earth Day weekend. We enjoyed it so much that we plan to do this every year.

Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank BeachWizard4U
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed March 24, 2006

This trip would have, should have been great. Especially at $660 per night for a two room condo with a kitchen. This was not a great experience. The skiing was great, lessons great, but this is the worst problem I have ever had at a hotel. The staff is difficult to understand, there are no signs anywhere, registration was hard to find, my window was broken and never fixed after I complained twice, and the room was never serviced in the THREE days I stayed with my family of eight. Even after repeated phone calls, no house keeping. There are no cots available, and only two small beds. The sofa bed is extremely uncomfortable and I will never return to this hotel - even with the convenience.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 20, 2005

Ok - I read all the reviews and I was skeptical when I booked there. I went there 2nd week of December and I was pleasantly surprised. No noise as it was winter and noone is around outside in the night. I did request a Room away in one of the back buildings but there was no noise anywhere. The 2 bedroom condo was v nice, the living room is a little small but that is okay. The TV could need updating to a flat screen, but not a big deal. The kitchen was wonderful, very well stocked. The bathrooms had heated tiles, and were good size. The parking is right underneath and very convinient as it is indoor (underground parking). I would definitely stay there again, everything is a walk away. The heating in the room was slightly high, not sure why even after we dropped the thermostat. The fire place was wonderful. I would definitely stay here again !! No problems with noise in winter. I have heard if there is snow, there is snow removal noise but we didn't have snow so that wasn't a problem. Will definitely stay here again !!

• Stayed: December 2005
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!