“Nestled in the Mountains”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Riverside, California
“Nestled in the Mountains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This trip was for business, but I was able to do some exploring. The staff was very accommodating and helpful! This is absolutely gorgeous location not far from North Lake Tahoe and Truckee. The mini suite that I had was nice - a little stuffy in the afternoons during my visit but I wasn't in the room all that much .. The suite did have a mini air conditioner for the living space. The evening were a bit cool..,.very refreshing. I was able to turn on the fire place which made me feel like I was in the mountains...snuggled up with a glass of wine. The bed was very comfortable. It was nice to go out on the balcony and look down the village or up towards the mountains. The resort offers bike rentals - I wish I had the time to rent a bike and ride up to N. Tahoe. The bike trail offered such beauty - I was so jealous. I did drive in to N. Lake Tahoe to pick up some food and eat lunch one day. The town is very cute and it appears it had many stores to browse in. I also had the opportunity to ride up the gondola up to the ski lift...I would do this again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice review! We hope to see you again soon. Maybe come back for some winter fun like ice-skating, tubing, skiing or snow shoeing!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

The apartment was sizeable and had more facilities than we expected. We had a pretty good view of the mountain and we were about a 15 minute drive from Lake Tahoe which was ideal. There are loads of grocery stores and restaurants nearby too if you don't want to cook/fancy getting something quick.

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kingwood, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

From excellent dining venues to fun activities like roller skating at Olympic Village, hiking, biking, shopping and dining we had a great time. Easy to get to other places such as Lake Tahoe, Truckee CA, Tahoe Village and great fishing areas and festivals as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the fantastic restaurants and fun activities that are available in Squaw Valley in summer! Next trip you should try the ropes course, bungy sky jump and a round of miniature golf or paintball too! I hope to see you again soon.
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here in June, in a 1 bedroom suite and enjoyed it very much. I must say that I was a bit wary after having read some bad reviews of the place before our stay but after having personally stayed here, we can now confirm a few things.

The suite itself was faultless in June. We did not encounter the ‘high temperature’ problem as experienced by others in some of the reviews here. We did use the any air-conditioner a few times during the day but preferred to sleep with the windows slightly opened for some fresh air during the nights. The suite was cleaned and tidied satisfactorily on a daily basis. Towels were changed and toiletries replenished when necessary. The kitchenette was well equipped for light ‘holiday’ cooking. Wifi was free, strong and fast.

Our suite faced the courtyard and like others, we did experience some noise for a few nights from the patrons of the restaurants and bars below. Usually this went on till about 2am but we slept late anyway because we were on holidays. I think you cannot expect the management to stop these visitors from behaving the way they want to. They were not causing nuisance IN the hotel/building, which is within the management’s control. All the rooms facing the restaurants/bars are likely to experience unpleasant noise disturbances. Perhaps you can ask for rooms situated at other part of the building to avoid this annoyance.

As for us, we have enjoyed our stay here tremendously and if we ever return for another visit, this place will undoubtedly be our first choice!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. And we appreciate you understanding how others come to the village for some nightlife. You make a great suggestion, to those with small children or those that want to head to bed a bit early which is to suggest a room on the outskirts of the village, as we typically can honor those requests.
San Rafael, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We get to our room and it is 89 degrees. We turn the thermostat down, open the windows, and leave for a few hours. By bedtime, it is still a stuffy 83 degrees. We discover that the system ONLY heats and to cool you need the windows and blinds WIDE open... With lights off because we are all in our underwear and I don't want to put on a show for the whole courtyard and other guests across the way, I open the door and windows to get some cool air. The night drags on. First, we cannot sleep because the celebratory restaurant patrons below our open windows are hooting and hollering until 11PM. Then, children and teens are out hooting and squealing until midnight. Then, starting at 12:30 and going until 2:20AM, roving drunks hollering, laughing, cussing are passing by constantly. The last one threw what sounded like a beer can and broke something glass- what is this? The Bronx or Tenderloin or something? I tried to justify closing the windows but it was still in the 80s in our room. We were able to sleep OK from 2:30 until 6:30 when others started making noises in the Village. Despite doing all we could, our room only made it down to 71 by morning- this place was built wrong!!! They have got to make it possible to cool the rooms without compromising security and noise. Besides that, nice place. (I gave service low marks because I never heard anyone tell folks to keep it down.)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank RenaissanceMan1972
I am very sorry to hear that you had a sleepless night while you stayed at The Village. Of course, our goal is to give you a great night sleep, and clearly we failed.
However, I appreciate you taking the time to write this review as we do share it with our homeowners. Each condominium here is privately owned, and we act as the rental manager. This was a common complaint amongst our guests so we did do something about it, and found a portable air conditioning unit that have been installed in approximately 140 out of our 190 rooms. This has helped the temperature in the rooms quite a bit, while keeping the outside noise out. We have requested that all owners put these in their rooms and have made great progress. Our goal is to have 100% participation.
We would love to have you back as our guest and experience a room with air conditioning. Feel free to contact me directly at (530) 584-6227 and I will be happy to extend a discount and ensure you have a nice, cool room. Thank you again, and please accept our apologies for your sleepless night.
Los Banos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went for a wedding, stayed for a weekend. I was so impressed, I came back next weekend with my family and stayed a week!! We stayed in the main building 1 bdrn with den, was so spacious fit 2 adults and 3 children comfortably. Never thought I would be at a ski resort in summer, but let me tell you we will be back!! Great staff, we went for bike rides, hikes and even swam at high camp!! My kids loved the hotel pools also. No problem with noise or anything else. Loved the shopping and live outdoor music in the evenings with bonfires! Can't wait to visit again!!

Room Tip: If traveling with family get a 1bd with den by the pools.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Village. We try very hard to make guest service a top priority and it looks like the staff did their job. We hope you will come back and see us again very soon!
Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in hundreds of domestic and international hotels. I believe this is my first review.

The Village is not a good summer destination. The rooms have no air conditioning and are too stuffy to sleep in. By opening the windows a new problem becomes painfully evident. THE NOISE ! The last night of our stay they sponsored an outdoor jazz (booze) festival under our room. The event itself ended at a reasonable time but the shouting, loud laughter, obscenities, dogs barking, and car horns honking from the drunks only escalated. It went on into the wee hours of the morning and it slowly extinguished the otherwise favorable experience we had from a polite and courteous staff, the spacious room, and the stunning view. I was so exhausted the next morning I think I would have been better rested had I slept in my car along a road somewhere.
You will notice mine is not the only review with the same frustration.

Lee Bracken, Mayor
City of Enterprise
435-231-1774

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank The_Utah_Traveler
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hello- Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. Again, I apologize that your experience was less than satisfactory, but am glad to hear that your first 2 nights with us were great and that it was enjoyable. As I said on the phone, 65% of our rooms now have air conditioning and we are working hard with our village homeowners to get as many installed as possible. I hope you will take us up on our offer to return in the future and have a fantastic experience as most of our guests do.

Christy Beck
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,042 reviews

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!