“Not my first stay........but probably my last”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have stayed in hundreds of domestic and international hotels. I believe this is my first review.

The Village is not a good summer destination. The rooms have no air conditioning and are too stuffy to sleep in. By opening the windows a new problem becomes painfully evident. THE NOISE ! The last night of our stay they sponsored an outdoor jazz (booze) festival under our room. The event itself ended at a reasonable time but the shouting, loud laughter, obscenities, dogs barking, and car horns honking from the drunks only escalated. It went on into the wee hours of the morning and it slowly extinguished the otherwise favorable experience we had from a polite and courteous staff, the spacious room, and the stunning view. I was so exhausted the next morning I think I would have been better rested had I slept in my car along a road somewhere.
You will notice mine is not the only review with the same frustration.

Lee Bracken, Mayor
City of Enterprise
435-231-1774

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank The_Utah_Traveler
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hello- Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. Again, I apologize that your experience was less than satisfactory, but am glad to hear that your first 2 nights with us were great and that it was enjoyable. As I said on the phone, 65% of our rooms now have air conditioning and we are working hard with our village homeowners to get as many installed as possible. I hope you will take us up on our offer to return in the future and have a fantastic experience as most of our guests do.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have vacationed in Squaw Valley for years in all seasons. The past few summers, we have spent time at the Village. Squaw offers so much for us to do: hiking, water sports, biking, concerts, movies, shopping, and lounging in the hot tubs. We have stayed in several different units and have had different experiences each time. Not all units have air conditioning or fans. While Squaw is a pleasant temperature in the summer, the condos can get warm without much air flow. Fans and the air conditioner help a lot. And, we are pleased that there seems to be less noise late at night so there was no trouble sleeping without being disturbed. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We'll be back this winter to ski.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

First off- thank you for coming back and visiting us! I'm happy to hear your stay with us was a pleasant one. I look forward to your visit this winter!

General Manager at The Village at Squaw Valley

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family and I reserved a one bedroom condo for four days. Overall room layout was fine. Kitchen area was more than adequate in size and had full sized appliances to use. The overhead exhaust fan in the kitchen is the recirculating type so don't go crazy with stir fry or you will smoke yourself out of the room. The bed was comfortable as well as the sofa bed. The condo has French doors you can open that leads you to the balcony in the back. The balcony is large enough for my family of four to lounge at.

The location and view was spectacular. Everything is close by for my family to see and do. The only thing not close by is a real grocery store. You have to drive about 15 minutes by car to the nearest store. The Village does have a corner grocery store on site but the prices are high as expected. Service throughout our stay was excellent. Clean sheets and towels everyday. They even did our dishes and the staff was very friendly and informative.

My only problem with the condo was the heat. If you don't keep your windows and doors open, the room would get to 80 degrees at night. I contacted staff about the problem and they informed me that I needed to be patient about the thermostat doing its job to adjust the temperature. Well it never adjusted during my stay which forced me to open the windows and doors to cool and air the room. Doing this, you hear every noise outside which made for a difficult time to sleep. I would agree with the other poster, that this is not the ideal place for the summer. The room only has a portable A/C unit that would be impossible to sleep by if turned on. This condo really is geared for winter use.

Overall, I liked the condo for its location but downgraded it for the stuffiness and noise my family and I experienced at night. We will be coming back but only when the temperatures are cooler.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not facing the main lines of walking traffic or you will have a constant stre...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank slbenz

Dear slbenz,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and views, but very sorry to hear that you had trouble with the noise. We also appreciate that you let us know that your air conditioner was loud, because this is the first time I have heard this complaint. There could possibly be something wrong with the particular air conditioner and we will check on it right away to ensure that it is quiet as the other ones are. This property was built without air conditioning and we have worked very hard with our homeowners to install the portable air conditioners in most of the rooms.

Feel free to call me, we would love to have you back as a guest in the future to have a great experience all around! My direct line is 530-584-6227. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The Village was picturesque upon our arrival with the sun setting on the Squaw ski resort. We parked across from the entrance and checked in after waiting in a short line. Our reservation was retrieved and keys were programmed. We headed up to our room and encountered two dogs in the 2nd floors hallway blocking our path. After the owners pulled back their dogs, we were off again. We arrived at our room hearing thumping music and screams of laughter. It was obvious we were given an occupied room. We called downstairs and confirmed the mistake. Our new room was exactly what was advertised. The room is decorated with modern amenities. The full kitchen is one of the bests we have ever had anywhere in travel. The guest bedroom is lacking a TV, which had the kids out of their room early searching for entertainment. The in-room, portable AC unit cools down the rooms when the sun beats down on the east facing windows. The small, but quaint pool is heated to 85 degrees and the spa is 102. All items in the room were in working order. The flat screen TV in the living room could not be seen from the kitchen because of the angle. The wifi was easy to access and fast. Beware of the coffee maker. It has a drip mechanism like none other. We witnessed five cups of coffee brew down the counter top and onto the tile floor. The better bet is to walk .5 mile into the Village for Starbucks.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bob916Stick

Thank you for the wonderful review, Alan. I am so glad you were able to enjoy our newly updated rooms at The Village at Squaw Valley. I look forward to seeing you at our property soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We are currently staying in one of their one bedroom condos. We rented a studio but they gave us a complimentary upgrade. Very nice of them! This is a nice place with courteous staff. It would be unfair of me to say otherwise. The problem is that it is not a good place to stay in the summer time and here is why:

1. No air conditioning. The rooms are very warm and poorly ventilated. You have to leave your windows open or you'll cook. And that leads to the second problem.

2. Noise. Because your windows must remain open there is little you can't hear. Peace and rest are impossible. My wife and I really needed this during our stay. Despite our many attempts to sleep we will most likely leave here exhausted.

3. The bed was hard on our backs. Not sure why but by the second night I had to move to the couch which was surprisingly more comfortable.

This is a winter resort. By all means stay here then but avoid this place in the summer. Maybe one day they'll invest in a central ac system and better beds. Until then we will go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Perry,

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review on our property. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you would have hoped. We are currently in the process of upgrading our rooms with brand new mattresses, bedding, TV's, carpets and decor. Many of our units will also have AC units installed. Again, I am sorry to hear about your experience. I invite you to return when our room upgrades are complete. Please call me at 530-584-6205 and I would be happy to personally make your reservation.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The suite was well equipped with everything we needed. Our group of six was very comfortable, plenty of room. Loved the kitchenette, it was fully equipped - didn't like that the closest grocery store was at least 5 miles away. We also lived that we could use the pool whenever we wanted, as we were there for an event and arrived back at the hotel a little late - thanks! This was our first time there and will definitely return to this hotel!!!

• Stayed: July 2013

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! The pool is the perfect place to cool off during the summer months. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Best,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent one night and definitely will return for a longer stay. The front desk was very helpful and we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite which was one of the nicest we have stayed in on our trips to the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the wonderful review, Velia! I'm so happy hear our front desk staff was helpful and you enjoyed your stay with your family. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olympic Valley
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
#4 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!