“Perfect location, shabby accomodation”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed for a weekend over New Year's and was very disappointed by the experience.

The positives: perfect location, walk to lifts or any other amenity in the Village, convenient underground parking and friendly, helpful staff.

The suite itself was a tremendous disappointment. It was permeated by the stale smell of fried food, which I couldn't get rid of; there was a huge hole in the carpet; the TV remote didn't work; one of the burners on the stove didn't work; and overall the interior left alot to be desired. For $500 a night - I expected more.

Furthermore, having submitted this feedback both on their homepage, and in response to the email they sent me soliciting comments, I have heard nothing from the Resort. Not even an acknowledgement of my feedback. Very poor show.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julia B
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Hello Julia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response and while it seems you did have some positive experiences, the condition of your suite was less than acceptable. We currently are renovating our rooms and working with all our homeowners on this initiative. There are different levels that each homeowner can do including everything from a full remodel to a required mattress and bedding upgrade only. I encourage you to come back and experience our upgraded rooms when they are complete either this May or next winter.

Please contact me directly the next time you would like to come so I can be sure to take good care of you. My email is cbeck@squaw.com. Again, I apologize for the lack of response; however I don’t recall seeing anything from you. If I missed it, I sincerely apologize and want you to know we take these responses very seriously and review with our staff regularly.

There are newer reviews for The Village At Squaw Valley

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am a single mother taking two teenage boys skiing. I just got off the phone with Ryan in reservations. Ryan covered all my questions, was able to give me exactly what I was looking and beyond. I look forward to dealing with Ryan for future booking.

Teddie

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Teddie T

Hi Teddie,

We are so happy to hear that planning your trip was a breeze. We will be sure to pass along your praise. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I'm here now for my 3rd visit. The rooms are nice and its slopeside accomodations at one of the best ski mountains in north america. But, this place is falling apart. Lots of stuff is broken. I read a review before mine where some poor guy paid $9500 and his room had tons of stuff wrong.

If you see the place on the outside, and even on the inside, it looks very nice. But, there is no doubt in my mind that this place was built on the cheap. Here are some examples:

1. One of the two elevators was broken when I arrived. The guy told me it would be fixed soon - and he was right. No biggie; things happen. But, the other one then broke and its been down for pretty much the whole trip. So, this 3 story building has to share one slow, small, cheaply built elevator...on a weekend. So, if you want to use it, bring something to drink because it'll be awhile...

2. The card reader at the underground garage entrance doesn't work well and I've had to go have my room card re-magnitized when the roll up door wouldn't open. The guy at the front desk told me that they have problems with the reader when it gets real cold outside. Really? It's LAKE TAHOE! Of course it gets cold outside!! He told me that if I push down on the card as I pull it out, that helps. Well, if I have to know a trick to get it to work, doesn't that mean its broken?

3. My phones in the room don't work; neither of them.

4. They don't have wireless. Why? Maybe because it's brand new technology and hardly anyone has that these days.... Anyways, they do have internet plug in sockets and a handy wire that you can plug into your computer. Except, the plug in socket in the bedroom is simply a hole. I'm not sure what happened to the thingamajigger that you plug the cord into but, its gone and in it's place is...nothing...just a hole.

5. The undergound garage is heated! Very cool. And, in my mind, it makes up for the fact that I've never in my life seen smaller, tighter parking places expect a parking garage in the financial district in San Francisco.

If it wasn't for the fact that this place is slopside accomodations at Squaw Valley and there is only one other lodging option that would clearly be overcrowded without this place, few people would stay here. I really hope that someone above the manager's level starts reading these Trip Advisor reports and asks the question: "Is this place going downhill". I've heard them say that owners keep their units in various states of repair. Well, maybe that's so. But, it doesn't explain the cheap malfunctioning elevators, exterior card readers that don't work "when it gets cold", non-functioning telephones in a room, internet jacks that have been jacked, etc.

My recommedation is try and stay at Squaw Valley Lodge instead of here. It's in better shape. But, if you want to ski Squaw and you're a die-hard slopside accomodation person, you could stay here but lower your expectations and focus on the skiing...

Room Tip: When you get to your room, walk through it completely and check for working phones, working lights...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Greg R

Hi Greg R.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value all feedback as this helps us to improve upon our guest service and keep our guests coming back, as you have. I’m sorry for the mishaps you had during your stay, and wanted to take a moment to address some items.

Our elevators rarely break down, but I do know this did happen while you were here and I am sorry for the inconvenience. We service our elevators regularly, adhere to all laws in this regard, but unfortunately an elevator will break down from time to time.

In terms of our garage entrance, and the locks not working when it is cold is simply not true, Of course they work when it is cold-you are right, it is Lake Tahoe! I have been working here for 11 years and the only time I experience this problem is if I have a faulty key or my key has become demagnetized which unfortunately does happen with electronic keys. I will be sure to address this with our staff.

In terms of wireless, we do have wireless internet. It sounds as though you may have rented not through our rental program but perhaps directly with an owner here, which can be a different experience. Some owners have not signed up for wireless internet, but if you are on our rental program- this is required.

We currently are renovating all the rooms here in the village and working with all our homeowners closely on this initiative. I strongly encourage you to come back when our renovation is complete to enjoy the newly upgraded rooms and an improved experience. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be sure to personally take good care of you. My email address is cbeck@squaw.com. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a 3 bedroom unit that was very nice. It was comfortable, clean, and the location was great, situated right at the base of the mountain. The base village was somewhat small but very comfortable, with lots of places to sit by outdoor gas fireplaces and a good selection or restaurants. I would stay here again in an instant!

I was not blown away by the skiing itself in terms of the blues (intermediate runs), but I've done most of my skiing in Colorado, not Tahoe, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. My father and sister spent a day at nearby Alpine Meadows (same lift ticket) and were much happier with the blues there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DanielSan1980
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Hi DanielSan1980,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Village at Squaw Valley. One of my favorite areas to ski intermediate terrain is over at Shirley Lake. The consistent pitch of the groomed tree runs make for some excellent turns! I hope that you will come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after 2 delayed flights to the friendliest staff at the front desk, garage parking, ski locker, lift tickets waiting, and ski reservations ready to go. Got up to the most beautifully appointed room , a corner suite over looking the beautiful Olympic Village. Our room is a 1br condo with an added living room, plus a connecting door to the next suite should we have been traveling with a group. With a gas fireplace, hydronic heating, a fully updated kitchen including dishwasher, all dishes, linens, beautiful furniture, spacious layout, wonderful memory mattress.... We will never stay anywhere else again. The village has fire pits everywhere, Starbucks, Fireside Pizza(Wow!!!!) plus bungee jumps fir the kids!! just amazing!!! What an atmosphere!!! Can't wait for the rest of our trip!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Copperski
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Staid in a 2 bedroom condo for 6 nights. The living room was so small that you could not fit 6 grown ups in it. The TV did not work 3 out of the 6 days. The thermostat did not work. There was not enough light in the living room to read. The kitchen was equipped more poorly than my daughter's college apartment.

This for $900 per night...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank George F

Hi George,

I’m sorry to hear that your experience was not as enjoyable as you would have hoped. We strive for our guests to enjoy their vacation time with their friends and family, and I’m so sorry that was not the case. If you ever run into maintenance issues, our attentive maintenance crew, from 7am-11pm, is always ready to assist you with any needs you might have.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us soon so that we can show you our exemplary service and accommodations.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The condo's interior space was nice and the heated floors in the large bathroom were terrific! The fireplace in the small living area was useful, although it was on a timer that you had to re-set every 40 minutes or so. The kitchen was well-equipped and modern, although we didn't cook anything. My college-aged daughter and I stayed 2 nights, sharing a queen size bed. She thought it uncomfortably hard, but it was fine for me although an updated bed cover would have been nicer. Unfortunately, our room was in the farthest away building with a view of a large parking lot (they said that they didn't have any quiet "mountain view" suites when I asked for one upon booking.) First night, I was awakened by the roaring engine of a giant snowplow under the window. It continued for hours. I figured that the second night would be quieter. Nope. I slept with earplugs and a pillow slammed over my head and still couldn't sleep. Called the clerk at 2:30 A.M. - he offered earplugs and would have moved us, but that would have been extremely
inconvenient. I wish I had changed rooms after the first night. I'll go back if I can be promised a quieter room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jan P

Hi Jan,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With the amazing amounts of snow that our resort receives, it is imperative to clear snow safely for all of our guests and the safest time to do this occurs in the early hours of the morning. We will always try to accommodate our guests when other rooms are available, so please do not hesitate to ask.

We are also in the process of working with all our homeowners in updating their units, ranging from new mattresses and bed linens to new carpet, paint and furniture. We hope that this project will be complete in the next few months. Come visit us this summer as we are sure you will not be disappointed! I look forward to seeing you as a guest again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olympic Valley
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!